Singapore Expats

WMA file is copy protected

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
gotta_think
Regular
Regular

WMA file is copy protected

Post by gotta_think » Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:27 am

Hi guys, i need ur help. i have songs that are protected by windows media player. it's a windows media file and i would like to transfer it to my mp3 player. however, i am getting this error message:

"File can not be opened, maybe there is something wrongn with the source file!

Maybe your WMA file is copy protected and you will probably be able to only play it back. For conversion and transfer to other support, you are stuck using WMP.

What probably happened is that when you ripped the CD to your hard drive, you used WMP, and in WMP there is an option, activated by default, to copy protect any music files you rip from a CD.

Go to tools/options/copy music...you will see a checkbox lable "Copy Protect Music" uncheck it and all future files you rip will not be protected. BUT any file ripped previously are still protected and there's nothing that can be done except reripping them."

I followed the instruction and have tried using
Waver and the other software (i forgot the name), but still it wont let me convert the music format. i hope you could help me sort things out. is there any software that i can download to do this?

hope to hear from you...

techie

Post by techie » Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:19 pm

Do you own the original CD? If so, rerip it as mp3 this time. If you downloaded this music without the necessary DRM, you won't be able to play it.

gotta_think
Regular
Regular

Post by gotta_think » Sat, 19 Mar 2005 7:32 pm

Hi I just borrowe this CD from a friend. He's in a different country now... so there's no way for me to rerip it. Is there any software that I can download to be able to rerip the files that is in .wma format and convert it to mp3?

hope someone could help me with this.

thanks!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:23 pm

gotta_think wrote:Hi I just borrowe this CD from a friend.
I think you are exactly the type of person that the copy protection scheme was designed for.

Many people, including me, believe that I should have an absolute right to transfer whatever music, videos, etc. that I BUY onto whatever medium I want. For example, I can burn a CD copy so that I can listen to it in the car without having to remove the disc from the CD carousel attached to my stereo.

However, borrowing a CD from a friend is exactly what copyright law, and now copy protection, is designed to stop. By borrowing from a friend instead of buying, you have denied the copyright holder the value he should receive.

gotta_think
Regular
Regular

Post by gotta_think » Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:09 pm

Well the reason why I copied the cd from him is because that is the kind of CD that i was looking for and was not available to any music store because it's a collection of a very old music. anyhow, that is ok. i understand if there is no way. :(

poutylips

It is possible

Post by poutylips » Fri, 01 Apr 2005 9:38 am

I can convert all your WMA file to MP3.

gotta_think
Regular
Regular

Re: It is possible

Post by gotta_think » Sun, 03 Apr 2005 1:32 am

poutylips wrote:I can convert all your WMA file to MP3.
it says it's ripped.. :( but how can u do it?

poutylips

Post by poutylips » Sun, 03 Apr 2005 11:33 am

Email me at failureisnotanoption@gmail with you contact number and I will explain it to you.