Singapore Expats

PEP requirements and year end declaration 144K

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
viveknag

Post by viveknag » Mon, 23 Mar 2020 3:37 am

Hello everyone,
Need your expert advise - thanks for taking time reading the below questions.

1. I live in US and going to apply PEP and expecting PEP IPA to come in June sometime.
2. If i collect my PEP in june and find a job in 2 months, say I get a job in August 2020 with average salary of 12-15k per month. My PEP singapore salary is only 15X4 = 60K SGD only
3. How do I declare my year end salary to Singapore MOM .

Can I show my US salary for the first 6 months + last 4 months Singapore Salary to cover 144K salary requirement for PEP ? I could not see any link in MOM to get the details.

Thanks for your advise
Regards
Vivek

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Re: PEP requirements and year end declaration 144K

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 23 Mar 2020 4:56 pm

viveknag wrote:
Mon, 23 Mar 2020 3:37 am
Hello everyone,
Need your expert advise - thanks for taking time reading the below questions.

1. I live in US and going to apply PEP and expecting PEP IPA to come in June sometime.
2. If i collect my PEP in june and find a job in 2 months, say I get a job in August 2020 with average salary of 12-15k per month. My PEP singapore salary is only 15X4 = 60K SGD only
3. How do I declare my year end salary to Singapore MOM .

Can I show my US salary for the first 6 months + last 4 months Singapore Salary to cover 144K salary requirement for PEP ? I could not see any link in MOM to get the details.

Thanks for your advise
Regards
Vivek

1. They will expect you to earn 72K SGD for 6 months in SG. Even if you work for 4 months in 2020, since you will be staying in SG for 6 months, you should be making atleast 72K SGD.
2. You can do via EPOL. Isn't that too far down the road. Why are you worried now when you have not even secured the PEP yet

viveknag

Post by viveknag » Tue, 24 Mar 2020 3:15 pm

Thanks for your reply... I am giving up US Work visa and moving to singapore due to family reasons , thats the main reason I am keen to know the info much ahead.. Appreciate your inputs

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 25 Mar 2020 1:30 pm

Make sure you have the IPA (In principle Approval) "In hand" before giving up your US job.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

wnext

Post by wnext » Sun, 22 Aug 2021 12:34 pm

Hi,

For those who have got issued the PEP in the middle of the year (June, July), have worked since then and earned more than $12k/month but less than $144k in the 1st year, did you encounter any issue in January?

Cheers,
WN

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 22 Aug 2021 12:42 pm

wnext wrote:
Sun, 22 Aug 2021 12:34 pm
Hi,

For those who have got issued the PEP in the middle of the year (June, July), have worked since then and earned more than $12k/month but less than $144k in the 1st year, did you encounter any issue in January?

Cheers,
WN
As long as you earn 7 months * 12K for the calendar year it should be Ok. But please write in to MOM to get it confirmed.

wnext

Post by wnext » Sun, 22 Aug 2021 12:54 pm

Thank you for your prompt answer 👍

I called MOM, the person said she doesn’t know.

Looks like they keep the door opened for discretion.
This is why I am asking for past experiences ;)

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 22 Aug 2021 4:16 pm

wnext wrote:
Sun, 22 Aug 2021 12:54 pm
Thank you for your prompt answer 👍

I called MOM, the person said she doesn’t know.

Looks like they keep the door opened for discretion.
This is why I am asking for past experiences ;)
Email MOM

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Mon, 23 Aug 2021 1:23 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Sun, 22 Aug 2021 12:42 pm
wnext wrote:
Hi,

Cheers,
WN
As long as you earn 7 months * 12K for the calendar year it should be Ok. But please write in to MOM to get it confirmed.
This is NOT correct. From the MoM website:

Requirements of the pass

To keep holding a PEP, you must:
  • Earn a fixed salary of at least $144,000 per calendar year, regardless of the number of months you are in employment.
https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permi ... quirements

Now maybe this is applicable to someone who has become unemployed in a calendar year but it doesn't say that.

I would not call. I would email. You get better answers, and you start a permanent chain that can be used for clarifications. You also usually get the name of the person giving the answer.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Aug 2021 6:25 pm

The OP's PEP is new. It's the 1st partial year. We went through this a couple of years ago when it was new. If a new PEP it would be # months times 12K/month as SF mentioned. However after that initial year, it's 144K/pa regardless of how many months you do or do not work. So if you only worked the last 6 month of subsequent years then you basic salary would need to be 24K/mo in order to meet the minimum annual requirement (PEP being held for 12 months).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 23 Aug 2021 6:43 pm

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Mon, 23 Aug 2021 1:23 am
singaporeflyer wrote:
Sun, 22 Aug 2021 12:42 pm
wnext wrote:
Hi,

Cheers,
WN
This is NOT correct. From the MoM website:

Requirements of the pass

To keep holding a PEP, you must:
  • Earn a fixed salary of at least $144,000 per calendar year, regardless of the number of months you are in employment.
https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permi ... quirements

Now maybe this is applicable to someone who has become unemployed in a calendar year but it doesn't say that.

I would not call. I would email. You get better answers, and you start a permanent chain that can be used for clarifications. You also usually get the name of the person giving the answer.
If someone gets his PEP issued on 1 Dec and if he is new to SG, not reasonable for him to earn 144K in 1 month? :D

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Aug 2021 7:01 pm

:lol: That is exactly the same that I used all those years ago. Simple common sense. :cool:

wnext

Post by wnext » Mon, 23 Aug 2021 7:04 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The OP's PEP is new. It's the 1st partial year. We went through this a couple of years ago when it was new. If a new PEP it would be # months times 12K/month as SF mentioned. However after that initial year, it's 144K/pa regardless of how many months you do or do not work. So if you only worked the last 6 month of subsequent years then you basic salary would need to be 24K/mo in order to meet the minimum annual requirement (PEP being held for 12 months).
Thank you, it is very clear

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

wnext

Post by wnext » Mon, 23 Aug 2021 7:08 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote::lol: That is exactly the same that I used all those years ago. Simple common sense. :cool:
Yes, it is common sense but I come from a country where Officials use to play with you when the rules are not written black and white. Image

I need to change and enjoy with a good public service now

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Aug 2021 7:11 pm

wnext that comment was not meant for you. Sorry if you took it that way.