PEP requirements and year end declaration 144K

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Post Reply
viveknag
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 3:29 am

PEP requirements and year end declaration 144K

Post by viveknag » Mon, 23 Mar 2020 3:37 am

Hello everyone,
Need your expert advise - thanks for taking time reading the below questions.

1. I live in US and going to apply PEP and expecting PEP IPA to come in June sometime.
2. If i collect my PEP in june and find a job in 2 months, say I get a job in August 2020 with average salary of 12-15k per month. My PEP singapore salary is only 15X4 = 60K SGD only
3. How do I declare my year end salary to Singapore MOM .

Can I show my US salary for the first 6 months + last 4 months Singapore Salary to cover 144K salary requirement for PEP ? I could not see any link in MOM to get the details.

Thanks for your advise
Regards
Vivek

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3611
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PEP requirements and year end declaration 144K

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 23 Mar 2020 4:56 pm

viveknag wrote:
Mon, 23 Mar 2020 3:37 am
Hello everyone,
Need your expert advise - thanks for taking time reading the below questions.

1. I live in US and going to apply PEP and expecting PEP IPA to come in June sometime.
2. If i collect my PEP in june and find a job in 2 months, say I get a job in August 2020 with average salary of 12-15k per month. My PEP singapore salary is only 15X4 = 60K SGD only
3. How do I declare my year end salary to Singapore MOM .

Can I show my US salary for the first 6 months + last 4 months Singapore Salary to cover 144K salary requirement for PEP ? I could not see any link in MOM to get the details.

Thanks for your advise
Regards
Vivek

1. They will expect you to earn 72K SGD for 6 months in SG. Even if you work for 4 months in 2020, since you will be staying in SG for 6 months, you should be making atleast 72K SGD.
2. You can do via EPOL. Isn't that too far down the road. Why are you worried now when you have not even secured the PEP yet

viveknag
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 3:29 am

Re: PEP requirements and year end declaration 144K

Post by viveknag » Tue, 24 Mar 2020 3:15 pm

Thanks for your reply... I am giving up US Work visa and moving to singapore due to family reasons , thats the main reason I am keen to know the info much ahead.. Appreciate your inputs

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 38849
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 4
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: PEP requirements and year end declaration 144K

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 25 Mar 2020 1:30 pm

Make sure you have the IPA (In principle Approval) "In hand" before giving up your US job.
Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

wnext
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 9:02 am

Re: PEP requirements and year end declaration 144K

Post by wnext » Sun, 22 Aug 2021 12:34 pm

Hi,

For those who have got issued the PEP in the middle of the year (June, July), have worked since then and earned more than $12k/month but less than $144k in the 1st year, did you encounter any issue in January?

Cheers,
WN

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3611
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PEP requirements and year end declaration 144K

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 22 Aug 2021 12:42 pm

wnext wrote:
Sun, 22 Aug 2021 12:34 pm
Hi,

For those who have got issued the PEP in the middle of the year (June, July), have worked since then and earned more than $12k/month but less than $144k in the 1st year, did you encounter any issue in January?

Cheers,
WN
As long as you earn 7 months * 12K for the calendar year it should be Ok. But please write in to MOM to get it confirmed.

wnext
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 9:02 am

Re: PEP requirements and year end declaration 144K

Post by wnext » Sun, 22 Aug 2021 12:54 pm

Thank you for your prompt answer 👍

I called MOM, the person said she doesn’t know.

Looks like they keep the door opened for discretion.
This is why I am asking for past experiences ;)

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3611
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PEP requirements and year end declaration 144K

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 22 Aug 2021 4:16 pm

wnext wrote:
Sun, 22 Aug 2021 12:54 pm
Thank you for your prompt answer 👍

I called MOM, the person said she doesn’t know.

Looks like they keep the door opened for discretion.
This is why I am asking for past experiences ;)
Email MOM

Myasis Dragon
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 7:13 am
Answers: 3

Re: PEP requirements and year end declaration 144K

Post by Myasis Dragon » Mon, 23 Aug 2021 1:23 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Sun, 22 Aug 2021 12:42 pm
wnext wrote:
Sun, 22 Aug 2021 12:34 pm
Hi,

For those who have got issued the PEP in the middle of the year (June, July), have worked since then and earned more than $12k/month but less than $144k in the 1st year, did you encounter any issue in January?

Cheers,
WN
As long as you earn 7 months * 12K for the calendar year it should be Ok. But please write in to MOM to get it confirmed.
This is NOT correct. From the MoM website:

Requirements of the pass

To keep holding a PEP, you must:
  • Earn a fixed salary of at least $144,000 per calendar year, regardless of the number of months you are in employment.
https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permi ... quirements

Now maybe this is applicable to someone who has become unemployed in a calendar year but it doesn't say that.

I would not call. I would email. You get better answers, and you start a permanent chain that can be used for clarifications. You also usually get the name of the person giving the answer.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 38849
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 4
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: PEP requirements and year end declaration 144K

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Aug 2021 6:25 pm

The OP's PEP is new. It's the 1st partial year. We went through this a couple of years ago when it was new. If a new PEP it would be # months times 12K/month as SF mentioned. However after that initial year, it's 144K/pa regardless of how many months you do or do not work. So if you only worked the last 6 month of subsequent years then you basic salary would need to be 24K/mo in order to meet the minimum annual requirement (PEP being held for 12 months).
Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3611
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PEP requirements and year end declaration 144K

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 23 Aug 2021 6:43 pm

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Mon, 23 Aug 2021 1:23 am
singaporeflyer wrote:
Sun, 22 Aug 2021 12:42 pm
wnext wrote:
Sun, 22 Aug 2021 12:34 pm
Hi,

For those who have got issued the PEP in the middle of the year (June, July), have worked since then and earned more than $12k/month but less than $144k in the 1st year, did you encounter any issue in January?

Cheers,
WN
As long as you earn 7 months * 12K for the calendar year it should be Ok. But please write in to MOM to get it confirmed.
This is NOT correct. From the MoM website:

Requirements of the pass

To keep holding a PEP, you must:
  • Earn a fixed salary of at least $144,000 per calendar year, regardless of the number of months you are in employment.
https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permi ... quirements

Now maybe this is applicable to someone who has become unemployed in a calendar year but it doesn't say that.

I would not call. I would email. You get better answers, and you start a permanent chain that can be used for clarifications. You also usually get the name of the person giving the answer.
If someone gets his PEP issued on 1 Dec and if he is new to SG, not reasonable for him to earn 144K in 1 month? :D

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 38849
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 4
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: PEP requirements and year end declaration 144K

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Aug 2021 7:01 pm

:lol: That is exactly the same that I used all those years ago. Simple common sense. :cool:
Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

wnext
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 9:02 am

Re: PEP requirements and year end declaration 144K

Post by wnext » Mon, 23 Aug 2021 7:04 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The OP's PEP is new. It's the 1st partial year. We went through this a couple of years ago when it was new. If a new PEP it would be # months times 12K/month as SF mentioned. However after that initial year, it's 144K/pa regardless of how many months you do or do not work. So if you only worked the last 6 month of subsequent years then you basic salary would need to be 24K/mo in order to meet the minimum annual requirement (PEP being held for 12 months).
Thank you, it is very clear


Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

wnext
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 9:02 am

PEP requirements and year end declaration 144K

Post by wnext » Mon, 23 Aug 2021 7:08 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote::lol: That is exactly the same that I used all those years ago. Simple common sense. :cool:
Yes, it is common sense but I come from a country where Officials use to play with you when the rules are not written black and white. Image

I need to change and enjoy with a good public service now

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 38849
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 4
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: PEP requirements and year end declaration 144K

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Aug 2021 7:11 pm

wnext that comment was not meant for you. Sorry if you took it that way.
Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: questionableactvt and 20 guests