Singapore Expats Forum

Looking for friends of similar background

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Guest Expat

Looking for friends of similar background

Postby Guest Expat » Mon, 14 Mar 2005 8:14 pm

Hi all,

I'm of Indian descent but have never lived in India, and unfortunately can't speak any of the Indian languages. I am a young professional, recently moved to Singapore, and would love to meet people of a similar background - i.e. Indians who have grown up elsewhere or have spent a significant part of their lives in another country.

I'd like to stress here that I have absolutely nothing against Indians from India, I would love to meet you all eventually, but there are too many changes taking place what with the move and new job and all that so some familiarity would be comforting:)


If you're interested, please email me at expatindianinsg@hotmail.com

Thanks:)

girl27

Postby girl27 » Mon, 14 Mar 2005 8:37 pm

what a wanker!!
why the hell dont u grow up instead.
most of us here are away from home and our comfort zones ...why not experience new situations, emotions and enviornment etc,instead of living in your NRI cocoon.
and how reassuring that u will meet us indians from india "eventually"
again, wanker!!!

ralph
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon, 14 Mar 2005

Postby ralph » Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:37 pm

nothing wrong with wanting to meet others who are similar.

Girl27, how come you didnt call the Indonesian Chinese topic author a wanker as well for wanting to meet Indo Chinese?

I find I have a lot in common when I chat to Aussie/Western Born Chinese like myself, esp when we compare notes on our experiences with SG'ns!

blue-dragon

Postby blue-dragon » Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:48 pm

Way to go Ralph!!!! ^_^

I don't understand why some people here can be just so rude and mean. girl27, here's my advice "if you have nothing good to say about others, then don't say anything". that's a good motto to have in life, if calling other people wanker and insulting them is the only way to make you feel good about urself... then i say, sad for you.

User avatar
Bart
Member
Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun, 13 Mar 2005

Postby Bart » Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:51 pm

girl27 wrote:what a wanker!!
why the hell dont u grow up instead.
most of us here are away from home and our comfort zones ...why not experience new situations, emotions and enviornment etc,instead of living in your NRI cocoon.
and how reassuring that u will meet us indians from india "eventually"
again, wanker!!!

Not a very nice thing to call your own fellow ethnic pal. Unless you've seen him do it..which then makes you a per...(rather not complete it to save you further embarassment!)
Everyone is entitled to their own preferences. One man's meat anothers poison and if you 're not careful and start interfering with this...you'll end up having your meat poisoned :roll:

Guest Expat

Postby Guest Expat » Tue, 15 Mar 2005 9:18 am

I knew that someone would react that way, hence my 2nd paragraph stressing that it's not my intent to exclude anyone, and that I would love to meet you all, Indians or not. Girl27, if your username indicates your age, you've got a lot of growing up to do. I wasn't going to say anything at all, because I consider people like you a waste of my time (and everybody else's too, from the reaction here). But just take that and everyone else's messages to you on board, for your own good. Thanks to everyone else for your posts.

cuteguysg1
Regular
Regular
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon, 20 Dec 2004
Location: singapore
Contact:

hi

Postby cuteguysg1 » Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:07 am

I fully agree with girl27

Good job.

This forum is to make new friends of all countries,societies,anyone from any part of world, I dont understand why people here look for their territory only instead of exploring themselves.

User avatar
Savage
Regular
Regular
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun, 05 Sep 2004
Location: Living in SIN™

Re: Looking for friends of similar background

Postby Savage » Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:39 am

Guest Expat wrote:Hi all,

I'm of Indian descent but have never lived in India, and unfortunately can't speak any of the Indian languages. I am a young professional, recently moved to Singapore, and would love to meet people of a similar background - i.e. Indians who have grown up elsewhere or have spent a significant part of their lives in another country.

I'd like to stress here that I have absolutely nothing against Indians from India, I would love to meet you all eventually, but there are too many changes taking place what with the move and new job and all that so some familiarity would be comforting:)


If you're interested, please email me at expatindianinsg@hotmail.com

Thanks:)



Ha...this is actually something I can identify with.

girl27 wrote:what a wanker!!
why the hell dont u grow up instead.
most of us here are away from home and our comfort zones ...why not experience new situations, emotions and enviornment etc,instead of living in your NRI cocoon.
and how reassuring that u will meet us indians from india "eventually"
again, wanker!!!


cuteguysg1 wrote:I fully agree with girl27

Good job.

This forum is to make new friends of all countries,societies,anyone from any part of world, I dont understand why people here look for their territory only instead of exploring themselves.


I have and make friends from all over the world all the time...I don't need help with that. However, when you're stuck in cultural limbo like I am (and I'm guessing the OP is too), its good to hang out sometimes with people who can understand where you're coming from and what you go through.

fusspot

Well...

Postby fusspot » Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:13 am

Maybe girl27 and cuteguy should hook up & bug off.

I also feel stuck in cultural limbo land (good way to express it!) and crave those that are similar - there's only so much new-ness one can take...!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Events, Gatherings, Making Friends”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests