Singapore Expats Forum

Higher floors are quieter?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
abbby
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Higher floors are quieter?

Post by abbby » Mon, 16 Mar 2020 10:15 am

Are higher floor apartments quieter despite facing the roads? ie: 30th, 40th floors?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Higher floors are quieter?

Post by Max Headroom » Mon, 16 Mar 2020 10:35 am

Comparing a low floor to a high floor, in my experience the high floor is noisier traffic-wise. Not sure of the science behind it, but perhaps having the length of the building below, all the lower floors, are like a partial funnel, similar to cupping your hand behind your ear. Whatever the reason, that higher floor was clearly noisier.

abbby
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by abbby » Thu, 19 Mar 2020 9:46 am

Thanks! :)
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 19 Mar 2020 10:59 am

It's worth researching. An engineer once explained to me, and the details I no longer recall, that different floors have different noise levels. It wasn't obvious either, e.g. floor 8 might be quiet but 14 noisy.

I lived on the 31st floor when I first moved here. Traffic wasn't an issue, but those jolly toads don't half make a racket - the toads were at ground level.

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Fri, 20 Mar 2020 10:04 am

In Singapore might due to reflection of the noise bouncing off , as you can see in Singapore the Public housing and condos are build quite close to one another. The Most Epic times I was at this Cinema at City hall area, forget the name of it. No doubt, I'm a Singaporean. I don't always recall all those local cinema names , street names etc. I only recall , familiar is by looking.

I was standing there having a smoke break , the cars pass by the roads .I can heard the noise reflection directly bouncing off from the condo behind me.

I stay in HDB , mid level. There is a main road beside. Yes at night while I sleeping can heard car noise but used to it is not so dam noisy till you can't sleep at all.