Singapore Expats Forum
 

MOE approval taking longer time

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Post Reply
User avatar
MarkSavastia
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat, 14 Mar 2020 11:09 am

MOE approval taking longer time

Post by MarkSavastia » Sat, 14 Mar 2020 11:46 pm

Hi Guys,

Sorry for disturbing, I have applied for a Job, and MOM approval was done. but anyhow MOE is taking a very long time (its been a month), and my employer informed me that it may take a longer time, they didn't inform me earlier and just gave me a joining date and told me to resign from my current company ASAP. I did follow their instructions attended all procedures and now I am jobless. As I ask the employer they just informed no reply from MOE. I can't even find other jobs since I have signed their letter, this really locked me down. I have a monthly commitment to my family and bills, it really made broke now, it really made me depressed. Can anyone advice here on how long this process will take?

I really appreciate your advice.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37320
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: MOE approval taking longer time

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 15 Mar 2020 12:32 am

How do you know the MOM approval was done? Did you receive the IPA letter? (In Principle Approval). If you did you just need to report to the employer and to MOM to have it issued (or to get a medical first, as the case may be). I'm not sure I understand why you quit your job without having received the In Principle Approval letter. Without that, you have nothing, not even proof it was approved.

User avatar
MarkSavastia
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat, 14 Mar 2020 11:09 am

Re: MOE approval taking longer time

Post by MarkSavastia » Sun, 15 Mar 2020 7:23 pm

Dear sundaymorningstaple,

Yes, I received my IPA approval letter from MOM and done my medical check-up. I quit my job, as per instruction from the employer and joining date even referred to in LOF. Later only they told me that I have another approval with MOE and it will take longer. As I seek advice on how long it may take?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37320
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: MOE approval taking longer time

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 15 Mar 2020 9:58 pm

No idea as all you need is the IPA approval letter and checkup. Sounds like your employer is playing around. Something is not right with your employer if you already have a valid IPA. You don't need any other approval. Sounds almost like the employer is trying to crawfish out of it.

User avatar
jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 11:12 pm

MOE approval taking longer time

Post by jamie9vardy » Sun, 15 Mar 2020 10:26 pm

Why does OP even need a separate approval from MOE? I'm assuming MOE = Ministry of Education.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37320
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: MOE approval taking longer time

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 15 Mar 2020 10:58 pm

Okay. Don't you just love it when OPs fail to give you enough info to go on......

Are you being hired by an agency to work as an instructor at a school?

User avatar
MarkSavastia
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat, 14 Mar 2020 11:09 am

Re: MOE approval taking longer time

Post by MarkSavastia » Mon, 16 Mar 2020 8:58 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sun, 15 Mar 2020 9:58 pm
No idea as all you need is the IPA approval letter and checkup. Sounds like your employer is playing around. Something is not right with your employer if you already have a valid IPA. You don't need any other approval. Sounds almost like the employer is trying to crawfish out of it.
I have the feelings, they just buying their time. how could I verify with MOE? Can a candidate direct call MOE for inquiries?

User avatar
MarkSavastia
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat, 14 Mar 2020 11:09 am

Re: MOE approval taking longer time

Post by MarkSavastia » Mon, 16 Mar 2020 9:00 am

jamie9vardy wrote:
Sun, 15 Mar 2020 10:26 pm
Why does OP even need a separate approval from MOE? I'm assuming MOE = Ministry of Education.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What does and OP means? Yes MOE is the Ministry of Education. That why I am not sure why they need approval from MOE, required for what?

User avatar
MarkSavastia
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat, 14 Mar 2020 11:09 am

Re: MOE approval taking longer time

Post by MarkSavastia » Mon, 16 Mar 2020 9:06 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sun, 15 Mar 2020 10:58 pm
Okay. Don't you just love it when OPs fail to give you enough info to go on......

Are you being hired by an agency to work as an instructor at a school?
Yes by an agency to work as IT support.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37320
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: MOE approval taking longer time

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 16 Mar 2020 12:13 pm

Bingo. The agency may well have jumped the gun before their client (the MOE) cleared the external hire. The Agency probably felt that they thought they had a shoe-in so started the work pass procedures, figuring that the MOE would approve the contract. It's not MOE who caused the problem, it the damned Bodyshop (Agency) that is the problem by jumping the gun.

User avatar
MarkSavastia
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat, 14 Mar 2020 11:09 am

Re: MOE approval taking longer time

Post by MarkSavastia » Mon, 16 Mar 2020 5:20 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 16 Mar 2020 12:13 pm
Bingo. The agency may well have jumped the gun before their client (the MOE) cleared the external hire. The Agency probably felt that they thought they had a shoe-in so started the work pass procedures, figuring that the MOE would approve the contract. It's not MOE who caused the problem, it the damned Bodyshop (Agency) that is the problem by jumping the gun.
As a victim of this agency. This is unfair and being a victim of this agency I felt very bad, I am not sure other candidates out there who had the same issue. Does this mean the employer is still not confirmed for the job application? To whom and how should I address this?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37320
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: MOE approval taking longer time

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 16 Mar 2020 8:53 pm

Apparently. At least that is what it sounds like to me, but no way we can be certain. I base my thoughts on the fact that before I became an HR Mgr of a medium-sized SME 16 years ago, I worked as a head-hunter for 10 years, I am very aware of their methods and methodologies although I never practiced it. Obviously I cannot confirm it. But you could approach the agency and ask them why they applied for your pass before they were given the confirmed contract to provide a person for the position. It will not do you any good to try to approach the MOE as they have nothing to do with it unless they had already signed a recruitment agreement with the agency. The agency is your employer, not the MOE. MOE is the agency's client (or is trying to be).

However, if you have the IPA in hand, you may be able to approach the MOM for advice. Explaining it to them might give you some idea what you can and cannot do. Probably won't help you in the long term, but might cause problems for the agency for foul employment practices. Good Luck. The way I see it is that you are between a rock and a hard place. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but......

User avatar
MarkSavastia
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat, 14 Mar 2020 11:09 am

Re: MOE approval taking longer time

Post by MarkSavastia » Tue, 24 Mar 2020 12:38 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 16 Mar 2020 8:53 pm
Apparently. At least that is what it sounds like to me, but no way we can be certain. I base my thoughts on the fact that before I became an HR Mgr of a medium-sized SME 16 years ago, I worked as a head-hunter for 10 years, I am very aware of their methods and methodologies although I never practiced it. Obviously I cannot confirm it. But you could approach the agency and ask them why they applied for your pass before they were given the confirmed contract to provide a person for the position. It will not do you any good to try to approach the MOE as they have nothing to do with it unless they had already signed a recruitment agreement with the agency. The agency is your employer, not the MOE. MOE is the agency's client (or is trying to be).

However, if you have the IPA in hand, you may be able to approach the MOM for advice. Explaining it to them might give you some idea what you can and cannot do. Probably won't help you in the long term, but might cause problems for the agency for foul employment practices. Good Luck. The way I see it is that you are between a rock and a hard place. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but......
I understand know, really appreciate for the info. apparently now they giving reason of coronavirus delay, really hard for me know. As fewer jobs at my country due to corna virus. Time are vey hard, try to survive as I got my family to feed.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests