Singapore Expats Forum

should i accept this offer?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

edith

should i accept this offer?

Postby edith » Mon, 14 Mar 2005 5:43 pm

Came to Singapore a few months ago because of husband's job relocation. I studied in US top university (one of the top 10 in east coast) and have 5 years of front office experience in a global investment banking. I found that most of the global banks do not have their front office based out in Singapore, or presence is a lot smaller compare to HK or Japan. After months of frustration I found a job in UOB, they offer
S$9K/month, i think it's a bit low, compare to what I made in US this is like peanuts. But I would like to hear from you guys, is this a fair market number?

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Mon, 14 Mar 2005 6:19 pm

Last edited by dot dot dot on Mon, 22 May 2006 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edith

Postby edith » Mon, 14 Mar 2005 6:24 pm

It's an assistant vice president in capital markets. I'll report to head of CM and co-manage, with an experienced VP, a team of around 6 analysts. Is S$9K too low or it seems to be a fair deal? Thanks Eric.

Postby Guest » Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:10 pm

Hi Edith,

Given the fact it is a local job, with as I understand correct local responsibilities, it is quite reasonable.

Having said that, a lot of local employers here know how to play these games very well and keep the salaries very well in control. Tough negotiators, especially the Chinese Singaporean sr. managers (assuption here, not sure you are dealing with only local Singaporeans).

9k shows respect, but its not outrageous. But try and look at the positive side: you will have your own job, life, responsibilities and overall you can do quite a bit with this amount of money.

I'd take it, for sure :wink:

Eric

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:12 pm

Last edited by dot dot dot on Mon, 22 May 2006 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Savage
Regular
Regular

Postby Savage » Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:21 am

edith wrote:It's an assistant vice president in capital markets. I'll report to head of CM and co-manage, with an experienced VP, a team of around 6 analysts. Is S$9K too low or it seems to be a fair deal? Thanks Eric.

Its kind of low...its just slightly more than what a fresh graduate would get in a global investment banking operation. Having said that, UOB probably pays less than the global banks.

For your level of experience, I would probably try and negotiate for S$12k a month, but if they draw a hard line, take it at S$9k. I'm sure you don't really need the extra money considering you relocated for your husband's job....use the job to get to know more local contacts in the industry, and a year down the line, you may find yourself being approached with offers much higher than that. If you're worth it, that is :lol:

edith

Postby edith » Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:46 am

thanks for all your response guys. I decided to accept the offer, as you said, it might be a good start for me here in Singapore. It's better than sitting at home all day and watch TV :) Thank you guys!