Singapore Expats Forum
 

Citizenship chances?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Post Reply
Quads_sg
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed, 04 Mar 2020 4:45 am

Citizenship chances?

Post by Quads_sg » Wed, 04 Mar 2020 5:31 am

Hi all, plan to apply for citizenship soon so appreciate your thoughts/guidances in advance!

My profile/background:
- turning 40y soon, married with wife (36y, not working) n two kids, all Indian nationals
- may’14: moved to sg on EP (wife on DP)
- dec’15: obtained PEP for myself
- apr’17: applied PR for three of us (incl. son born in sg) with myself as main applicant
- oct’17: PR approved for three of us
- aug’18: applied PR for daughter born that month in sg, approved in May’19
- annual salary $350k basic, and annual bonus ranged from $200-350k in last 4-5y
- working as trader in international bank
- edu: comp sc engg. and MBA (finance) from Indian institutes, and cfa charterholder

I know per ica website we meet the eligibility criteria to apply for citizenship, but wondering from chances perspective if it’s too soon to apply, especially given not a preferred race? Also, how do the chances (which I presume be v low already) get affected if I just applied for myself vs for all four of us?

Appreciate your help!

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2971
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: Citizenship chances?

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 04 Mar 2020 11:46 am

Quads_sg wrote:
Wed, 04 Mar 2020 5:31 am
Hi all, plan to apply for citizenship soon so appreciate your thoughts/guidances in advance!

My profile/background:
- turning 40y soon, married with wife (36y, not working) n two kids, all Indian nationals
- may’14: moved to sg on EP (wife on DP)
- dec’15: obtained PEP for myself
- apr’17: applied PR for three of us (incl. son born in sg) with myself as main applicant
- oct’17: PR approved for three of us
- aug’18: applied PR for daughter born that month in sg, approved in May’19
- annual salary $350k basic, and annual bonus ranged from $200-350k in last 4-5y
- working as trader in international bank
- edu: comp sc engg. and MBA (finance) from Indian institutes, and cfa charterholder

I know per ica website we meet the eligibility criteria to apply for citizenship, but wondering from chances perspective if it’s too soon to apply, especially given not a preferred race? Also, how do the chances (which I presume be v low already) get affected if I just applied for myself vs for all four of us?

Appreciate your help!
We have been telling this many times
- Applying has a family has more chances than applying for a single member alone? Why do you want to apply for leave you alone? Reason?

- You might be a little early. Wait for 1 more year and then apply as a family unit. If rejected, wait till you renew your REP and apply again and you will get it.

Quads_sg
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed, 04 Mar 2020 4:45 am

Re: Citizenship chances?

Post by Quads_sg » Wed, 04 Mar 2020 10:09 pm

Thank you so much for your guidance!

The only reason is to retain flexibility to send kids to International School. They both very young and we are still trying to figure out what method they could benefit most from.
(Now I don’t want to kickstart a debate on local v International Schools, they both got pros/cons in my view).
Does the application require some justification to be provided if I applied for self only? Reckon my real reason (above) won’t be well received...
Also, realistically, how low would my chances be if I applied for self only this year or next or after renewal of REP (assuming that comes through lol)?
Thanks again!!

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2971
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: Citizenship chances?

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 04 Mar 2020 10:32 pm

Quads_sg wrote:
Wed, 04 Mar 2020 10:09 pm
Thank you so much for your guidance!

The only reason is to retain flexibility to send kids to International School. They both very young and we are still trying to figure out what method they could benefit most from.
(Now I don’t want to kickstart a debate on local v International Schools, they both got pros/cons in my view).
Does the application require some justification to be provided if I applied for self only? Reckon my real reason (above) won’t be well received...
Also, realistically, how low would my chances be if I applied for self only this year or next or after renewal of REP (assuming that comes through lol)?
Thanks again!!
If you apply alone this year or anytime in future - chance is 0 to 3%. They clearly know that you are doing this to bypass NS for your kid

If you apply as a family next year - 20-35%

If you apply as a family after REP renewal > 50%

If you have not figured out what is best for kids yet, then stay on PR, why do you want SC? You cant have the best of 2 things at the same time.


Even if your kids get SC, they can get their OCI visa and still study in an indian international school ?

Quads_sg
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed, 04 Mar 2020 4:45 am

Re: Citizenship chances?

Post by Quads_sg » Wed, 04 Mar 2020 11:04 pm

:) my kids currently are PRs, and per my understanding NS requirements are same for kids of both PR and SC, if not more stringent for kids of SC. So, not sure how attempt of getting SC from PR, even if only for self, translates to trying to bypass NS for kid tbh.....But will take your feedback v seriously!
In terms of %, you’ve actually given me hope - I thought we’d have <5% chance of getting through in all scenarios 😂😅

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2971
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: Citizenship chances?

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 04 Mar 2020 11:12 pm

Quads_sg wrote:
Wed, 04 Mar 2020 11:04 pm
:) my kids currently are PRs, and per my understanding NS requirements are same for kids of both PR and SC, if not more stringent for kids of SC. So, not sure how attempt of getting SC from PR, even if only for self, translates to trying to bypass NS for kid tbh.....But will take your feedback v seriously!
In terms of %, you’ve actually given me hope - I thought we’d have <5% chance of getting through in all scenarios 😂😅
Come on, NS requirements for PR and SC are same. But for SC, you will surely be doing NS, whereas in PR, some of them have set bad examples by surrendering the PR just before the NS age starts. Even if what you say is true, ICA is not going to accept it and consider even 1% to give you SC ALONE, unless as SMS says you are a neuro surgeon, rocket scientist, etc

Quads_sg
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed, 04 Mar 2020 4:45 am

Re: Citizenship chances?

Post by Quads_sg » Thu, 05 Mar 2020 7:01 am

So ICA does expect to see a rationale for applying only for self in the application?
Also, just curious, who do chances of success increase significantly after renewal of REP vs applying a year before renewal pls?

Thanks so much!

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2971
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: Citizenship chances?

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 05 Mar 2020 10:02 am

Quads_sg wrote:
Thu, 05 Mar 2020 7:01 am
So ICA does expect to see a rationale for applying only for self in the application?
Also, just curious, who do chances of success increase significantly after renewal of REP vs applying a year before renewal pls?

Thanks so much!
You are trying to find too minute details and I think I have already said enough.

Quads_sg
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed, 04 Mar 2020 4:45 am

Re: Citizenship chances?

Post by Quads_sg » Thu, 05 Mar 2020 12:28 pm

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2971
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: Citizenship chances?

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 05 Mar 2020 12:33 pm

Quads_sg wrote:
Thu, 05 Mar 2020 12:28 pm
🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
You have not answered my questions

Can a SC Kid with OCI study in an Indian International School in SG?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37457
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Citizenship chances?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 Mar 2020 2:26 pm

I cannot answer your question with regards to studying in an Indian IS (But I have to wonder why). I do, however, see a higher percentage of chance to gain SGC than SF (although SF is closer in tune with the Indian National's culture than I am). The only stumbling block I see is your income level and the fact that you work in an international bank. This is been a stumbling block for a number of high flyers in the financial district in the gaining of both PR and SGC. Why? Because high-flyers in the international banks are often parachuted into other banks as and when needed so Singapore knows that there are very good odds of these types of employees not staying the distance, so why give them all the benefits when somebody else will appreciate what the country can give as opposed to what the person can take.

However, having said the above, I would probably guess at least 70% chance because looking at the timeline you have furnished with regards to gaining PR for yourself and your family (including son) and later new daughter as well, it would appear, even to the most cynical (like me) that you want to stay here (the only issue I have is the allowing for Int'l Schooling that is a minus factor and the OCI visa which does allow a back door back to India should you ever want to bail out of Singapore) Surely ICA is aware of this avenue as well. I definitely would nix applying for SGC alone, however.

smoulder
Regular
Regular
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 11:05 pm

Re: Citizenship chances?

Post by smoulder » Thu, 05 Mar 2020 2:55 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Thu, 05 Mar 2020 12:33 pm
Quads_sg wrote:
Thu, 05 Mar 2020 12:28 pm
🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
You have not answered my questions

Can a SC Kid with OCI study in an Indian International School in SG?
The question as far as I know is "can an SC kid study in a non public school". I believe the answer is yes but only after getting special approval from mom. Correct me if I am wrong.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37457
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Citizenship chances?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 Mar 2020 5:34 pm

That is my understanding as well. MOM or MOE not sure which.

smoulder
Regular
Regular
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 11:05 pm

Re: Citizenship chances?

Post by smoulder » Thu, 05 Mar 2020 5:43 pm

Should be moe. Not mom. That was a typo.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests