Singapore Expats

Need advice PR freelancer

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 5:44 pm

Need advice PR freelancer

Post by PaulSmith2109 » Thu, 13 Feb 2020 5:49 pm

Hi all

I'm a Singapore PR and would like to work as a freelance translator. My clients are based in Switzerland. Do I need to register with any government body as a freelancer and must I pay tax in Singapore ? can my clients pay into my Swiss bank account in Zurich or must I open a Singapore dollar account in Singapore ?

Thanks for your help

Myasis Dragon
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 7:13 am
Answers: 5

Re: Need advice PR freelancer

Post by Myasis Dragon » Thu, 13 Feb 2020 9:52 pm

You need to register a business unless you meet the exemption criteria as shown on this web page. ... t-register

You are earning your money locally because you are physically present in Singapore while earning. It doesn't matter where your clients are based. It doesn't matter where you get paid. It doesn't matter if you get paid in Sing dollars or Spanish doubloons. You meet the physical residency tests while earning so you pay local tax.

You will file with IRAS your income received from your free lancing as a sole proprietor unless you choose to setup an alternate business entity, which you can do as PR.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest