Singapore Expats

Anyone applied for citizenship but is still pending? How long have you been waiting?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
aprilmood

Anyone applied for citizenship but is still pending? How long have you been waiting?

Post by aprilmood » Sat, 08 Feb 2020 12:12 am

How long has your citizenship application been pending? Mine 14 months already. Unlikely anyone will be longer than mine...

One more questions: does anyone know if it's true that the longer the wait, the higher the chance that it won't be a reject? Does anyone know of anybody who was being turned down after, say, 22-24 months of wait?
Last edited by aprilmood on Sun, 09 Feb 2020 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Anyone applied for citizenship but is still pending? How long have you been waiting?

Post by bcheng74 » Sat, 08 Feb 2020 1:02 pm

My friend applied in Feb 2018 and got approval at Dec 2019. That’s close to 22 months of waiting. Your 14 months is nothing compared to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Anyone applied for citizenship but is still pending? How long have you been waiting?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 08 Feb 2020 1:33 pm

This! ^^^^
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

vig.srinivasan93

Post by vig.srinivasan93 » Sun, 09 Feb 2020 1:28 pm

I am not an expert on this. However I regularly go through this forum. The time limit needs to be discussed in 2 different set of periods I feel. 1) Before Online application (before 31.12.19) 2) After online application (i.e after 1.1.19). I feel that in the online method the things are pretty faster than the Physical submission method. However time taken for each applicant can vary even though a set of people might have fallen in Category (2) above. I have seen in this forum itself [ Message Title : Advise on SC application - posting by Shuigao on 21-nov-2019] wherein he states the following. Applied on line on 26th Feb 2019. Approval recd - 16 Sep 2019 ( a gap of 6.5 months from online application). Completed SC journey - 26 Oct 2019. Took Oath on 2- Nov - 2019. I have not seen any single case like this in case of Physical submission. Hence my feel is ONLINE has made things faster. However it depends on each case how fast it will be even though the applicants may fall in the category of online method.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 09 Feb 2020 3:54 pm

One case, does not, a precedence' make. As you are already noticed we have a wide variation. A lot of those online cases haven't been approved as of yet. Before online submissions it was also between 6 months and say 22~24 months. It is all dependent on how long it takes for validation of academics, experience, ability to assimilate, Family structure, the possibility of additional baggage the applicants may try to bring with them or in later. Lot's of tick boxes to consider as well as hidden racial quotas we are not at liberty to know (unlike quotas for S & WPs). Splitting hairs will do nothing. Too many years of HR Mgmt here so have to disagree with the premise.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

aprilmood

Post by aprilmood » Sun, 09 Feb 2020 8:34 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sun, 09 Feb 2020 3:54 pm
One case, does not, a precedence' make. As you are already noticed we have a wide variation. A lot of those online cases haven't been approved as of yet. Before online submissions it was also between 6 months and say 22~24 months. It is all dependent on how long it takes for validation of academics, experience, ability to assimilate, Family structure, the possibility of additional baggage the applicants may try to bring with them or in later. Lot's of tick boxes to consider as well as hidden racial quotas we are not at liberty to know (unlike quotas for S & WPs). Splitting hairs will do nothing. Too many years of HR Mgmt here so have to disagree with the premise.
Very helpful info with that 6-24 months data! I don't mind waiting, but finger crossed that it won't be a rejection after, say, 24 months of wait. If it will be turned down, please make it a quick one [-o<

aprilmood

Post by aprilmood » Sun, 09 Feb 2020 8:37 pm

vig.srinivasan93 wrote:
Sun, 09 Feb 2020 1:28 pm
I am not an expert on this. However I regularly go through this forum. The time limit needs to be discussed in 2 different set of periods I feel. 1) Before Online application (before 31.12.19) 2) After online application (i.e after 1.1.19). I feel that in the online method the things are pretty faster than the Physical submission method. However time taken for each applicant can vary even though a set of people might have fallen in Category (2) above. I have seen in this forum itself [ Message Title : Advise on SC application - posting by Shuigao on 21-nov-2019] wherein he states the following. Applied on line on 26th Feb 2019. Approval recd - 16 Sep 2019 ( a gap of 6.5 months from online application). Completed SC journey - 26 Oct 2019. Took Oath on 2- Nov - 2019. I have not seen any single case like this in case of Physical submission. Hence my feel is ONLINE has made things faster. However it depends on each case how fast it will be even though the applicants may fall in the category of online method.
Mine is physical submission. Exactly, all cases I knew of (personally in real life, not on forums et.c) were approved somewhere between 6-9months, which make me biting my nails. All I hope is that if you gonna turn me down, please do so quickly. But I guess there's nothing I can do at this stage except to continue wait.

aprilmood

Post by aprilmood » Sun, 09 Feb 2020 8:40 pm

One more questions: does anyone know if it's true that the longer the wait, the higher the chance that it won't be a reject? Does anyone know of anybody who was being turned down after, say, 22-24 months of wait?

timothy_17

Post by timothy_17 » Mon, 10 Feb 2020 2:40 pm

Our application took 25 months. We applied as a family last Sept 2017 and got our approval October 2019. We are a family of 6 and been living here since 2005. All of us are PRs except for our youngest son who's on a Student Pass and was rejected 4x for PR application.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 10 Feb 2020 2:45 pm

^^^^This.

bt1029
Answers: 1

Post by bt1029 » Mon, 10 Feb 2020 3:25 pm

mine took approx 13mths+. applied in Dec'18 and approved on Jan'20. Online submission. Taking the SG Journey now.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 10 Feb 2020 4:18 pm

Again, that is why we say from 6 to 24 months. We've seen both approvals and rejection take as little and as long and at all point inbetween. There is nothing that can be done to shorten the time. How long does it take? How long is a piece of string.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 11 Feb 2020 3:27 pm

aprilmood wrote:
Sun, 09 Feb 2020 8:40 pm
Longer wait does not have any impact on the application result. It might be like many applications in the queue? or takes time to validate your credentials? etc

Yes, there are cases which have been turned down after 2 years? Will this help you?

macaronjunkie

Post by macaronjunkie » Thu, 20 Feb 2020 10:27 am

Me too about 14 months now. Was just thinking if any avenue to check or expedite? Anyone tried meet MP... Do they even help in such matters?
aprilmood wrote:
Sat, 08 Feb 2020 12:12 am
How long has your citizenship application been pending? Mine 14 months already. Unlikely anyone will be longer than mine...

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Thu, 20 Feb 2020 11:35 am

macaronjunkie wrote:
Thu, 20 Feb 2020 10:27 am
Me too about 14 months now. Was just thinking if any avenue to check or expedite? Anyone tried meet MP... Do they even help in such matters?
aprilmood wrote:
Sat, 08 Feb 2020 12:12 am

I did try the meet my mp route to appeal my PR rejection a few years ago. The mp appealed and it reopened my application. However, it was rejected shortly after. As far as I know, this option is available only if the person appealing is a citizen. In my case my wife who is a citizen appealed on my behalf.