Singapore Expats Forum
 

PR approval chance in 2020

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Anjana Shri
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 4:32 pm

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by Anjana Shri » Fri, 30 Oct 2020 1:59 pm

Hi Observer and Singapore Flyer,
So it is mere quota which decides the fate to be PR in Singapore not our talent and contribution for Indians like us who are so keen to be the part of Singapore?
Just clarifying my doubt.

Anjana Shri
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 4:32 pm

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by Anjana Shri » Fri, 30 Oct 2020 2:12 pm

Hi Singapore Flyer and Observer
Is the quota which decides the PR in Singapore for Indians who are keen to contribute and part of Singapore not our talent or contribution or striving hard to prove ourselves to be the part of Singapore who are ready to pay tax in Singapore,Work for Singapore, raise family in Singapore, make investments in Singapore if we get PR?

the observer
Regular
Regular
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:57 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by the observer » Fri, 30 Oct 2020 2:21 pm

Anjana Shri wrote:
Fri, 30 Oct 2020 1:59 pm
Hi Observer and Singapore Flyer,
So it is mere quota which decides the fate to be PR in Singapore not our talent and contribution for Indians like us who are so keen to be the part of Singapore?
Just clarifying my doubt.
From my observation, top talent usually spring boards out to the UK or the US, after a short stint in Sg. Transient.
ICA is probably aware.

I have also seen quite a few high flyers whom have left the shores of Spore, despite obtaining PR.

Separately, the talented ones usually apply via EDB.
https://www.edb.gov.sg/en/how-we-help/g ... ramme.html
Last edited by the observer on Fri, 30 Oct 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the observer
Regular
Regular
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:57 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by the observer » Fri, 30 Oct 2020 2:24 pm

Anjana Shri wrote:
Fri, 30 Oct 2020 2:12 pm
Hi Singapore Flyer and Observer
Is the quota which decides the PR in Singapore for Indians who are keen to contribute and part of Singapore not our talent or contribution or striving hard to prove ourselves to be the part of Singapore who are ready to pay tax in Singapore,Work for Singapore, raise family in Singapore, make investments in Singapore if we get PR?
The reason PRs and Citizenships are harder to obtain is due to political realities.

Your contribution is useful to the PAP, but so are votes.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 30 Oct 2020 2:28 pm

Anjana Shri wrote:
Fri, 30 Oct 2020 1:59 pm
Hi Observer and Singapore Flyer,
So it is mere quota which decides the fate to be PR in Singapore not our talent and contribution for Indians like us who are so keen to be the part of Singapore?
Just clarifying my doubt.
If they have a wide pool of talent available and also the quota is less, they have to pick from the top talent. This is normal for any country. No one other than ICA can say who is the top talent and contribution, as all that we see is only our's, where as ICA sees a big pool of talent which we can't see.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 30 Oct 2020 2:31 pm

Anjana Shri wrote:
Fri, 30 Oct 2020 2:12 pm
Hi Singapore Flyer and Observer
Is the quota which decides the PR in Singapore for Indians who are keen to contribute and part of Singapore not our talent or contribution or striving hard to prove ourselves to be the part of Singapore who are ready to pay tax in Singapore,Work for Singapore, raise family in Singapore, make investments in Singapore if we get PR?
You have to pay tax in any country. That can't be treated as a contribution. What Investments?

the observer
Regular
Regular
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:57 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by the observer » Fri, 30 Oct 2020 2:47 pm

Wait till you see what the quota is for those in "Others".
That'd be caucasians, vietnamese, africans etc.

I think Filipinos would have more to complain about the quota system than you.

Anjana Shri
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 4:32 pm

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by Anjana Shri » Fri, 30 Oct 2020 3:08 pm

Understand. I said like we are happy to pay taxes in Singapore. Not saying paying tax should give us PR.
Investment is just saying if we get PR we are ready to buy houses. We do not want to merely get PR settle in some other country or India, buy houses in other country, stay in other country and pay tax there, or leaving the family simply back in hometown. Because we see many are doing like that.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 30 Oct 2020 3:30 pm

Anjana Shri wrote:
Fri, 30 Oct 2020 3:08 pm
Understand. I said like we are happy to pay taxes in Singapore. Not saying paying tax should give us PR.
Investment is just saying if we get PR we are ready to buy houses. We do not want to merely get PR settle in some other country or India, buy houses in other country, stay in other country and pay tax there, or leaving the family simply back in hometown. Because we see many are doing like that.
Recently if some one gets PR and does not stay in SG, his PR wont be renewed. So, this is taken care already.

reaf
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 11:40 pm

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by reaf » Fri, 30 Oct 2020 4:14 pm

Hello, I'd like to ask for some feedback on my profile.
  • Age: 25
  • Nationality: South Korean
  • Gender: Male
  • Race: Korean (but my race on my ICA profile says CHINESE, so should I write it as CHINESE?)
  • Marital Status: Single
  • Religion: No Religion (Is this important to add? My family is mostly Buddhist and while I agree with buddhist values, I'm very much agnostic)
  • Education: Computer Science bachelor degree from top uni in Thailand (I grew up there)
  • Current Field of Work: Software engineering
  • Position: Senior Software Engineer
  • Length of stay: 2 years 5 months
  • No of tax return: 2 tax returns
  • Salary: Basic 8.5K/month, Gross 10K+/month (adding all bonus/benefits and dividing by 12)
  • Pass: EP
Some extra side notes:
  • I applied for PR for the first time in April 2019 and rejected in November 2019 where the only difference from now were:
    • Length of stay: 11 months
    • Salary: Basic 5.6K/month
    • No of tax returns: 1 tax return
  • I applied for PR for the second time in June 2020 and rejected October 2020 where the only difference from now were:
    • Length of stay: 2 years 1 month
    • Salary: Basic 6.7K/month
    • No of tax returns: 2 tax returns
My rationale for applying early on was that I got a lot of information from people I know who've gotten PR and on forums that rejections don't affect future applications and that most people received a few rejections before finally getting accepted. So I was thinking to expedite my first few rejections by applying early.

My questions:
  • What do you think my chances are if I were to apply again?
  • Should I put my race as CHINESE instead of Korean to match my ICA profile?
  • Is there a way to appeal my last rejection which happened this month instead of waiting to apply again in 6 months? If yes to appeal, how do I go about this?
Thanks very much in advance!
Last edited by reaf on Fri, 30 Oct 2020 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 30 Oct 2020 4:19 pm

reaf wrote:
Fri, 30 Oct 2020 4:14 pm
Hello, I'd like to ask for some feedback on my profile.
  • Age: 25
  • Nationality: South Korean
  • Gender: Male
  • Race: Korean (but my race on my ICA profile says CHINESE, so should I write it as CHINESE?)
  • Marital Status: Single
  • Religion: No Religion (Is this important to add? My family is mostly Buddhist and while I agree with buddhist values, I'm very much agnostic)
  • Education: Computer Science bachelor degree from top uni in Thailand (I grew up there)
  • Current Field of Work: Software engineering
  • Position: Senior Software Engineer
  • Length of stay: 2 years 5 months
  • No of tax return: 2 tax returns
  • Salary: Basic 8.5K/month, Gross 10K+/month (adding all bonus/benefits and dividing by 12)
  • Pass: EP
Some extra side notes:
  • I applied for PR for the first time in April 2019 and rejected in November 2019 where the only difference from now were:
    • Length of stay: 11 months
    • Salary: Basic 5.6K/month
    • No of tax returns: 1 tax return
  • I applied for PR for the second time in June 2020 and rejected October 2020 where the only difference from now were:
    • Length of stay: 2 years 1 month
    • Salary: Basic 6.7K/month
    • No of tax returns: 2 tax returns
My rationale for applying early on was that I got a lot of information from people I know who've gotten PR and on forums that rejections don't affect future applications and that most people received a few rejections before finally getting accepted. So I was thinking to expedite my first few rejections by applying early.

My questions:
  • What do you think my chances are if I were to apply again?
  • Should I put my race as CHINESE instead of Korean to match my ICA profile?
  • Is there a way to appeal my last rejection which happened this month instead of waiting to apply again in 6 months? If yes to appeal, how do I go about this?
Thanks very much in advance.
Chance is going to be very low till you complete 5 years of working in SG

reaf
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 11:40 pm

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by reaf » Fri, 30 Oct 2020 4:27 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Fri, 30 Oct 2020 4:19 pm
Chance is going to be very low till you complete 5 years of working in SG
Thanks, appreciate your reply!

If that's the case, I wonder why the minimum length of stay before being able to apply for PR is set as 6 months, which is much shorter than 5 years. Would it be to allow Malaysian/Chinese individuals a chance to apply early?
Do you think my chances would improve if I stated my race as Chinese instead of Korean to match my ICA profile?

the observer
Regular
Regular
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:57 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by the observer » Fri, 30 Oct 2020 4:29 pm

If you're really chinese, by all means put it.

But if you're not, they're not going to like it when you falsify information.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 30 Oct 2020 5:21 pm

reaf wrote:
Fri, 30 Oct 2020 4:27 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:
Fri, 30 Oct 2020 4:19 pm
Chance is going to be very low till you complete 5 years of working in SG
Thanks, appreciate your reply!

If that's the case, I wonder why the minimum length of stay before being able to apply for PR is set as 6 months, which is much shorter than 5 years. Would it be to allow Malaysian/Chinese individuals a chance to apply early?
Do you think my chances would improve if I stated my race as Chinese instead of Korean to match my ICA profile?
6 months is because they don't want to set hard rule like 5 years for people with special expertise in certain domain, etc and that is why 6 months. If you fall in that category, may be you can also try.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 30 Oct 2020 5:21 pm

reaf wrote:
Fri, 30 Oct 2020 4:27 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:
Fri, 30 Oct 2020 4:19 pm
Chance is going to be very low till you complete 5 years of working in SG
Thanks, appreciate your reply!

If that's the case, I wonder why the minimum length of stay before being able to apply for PR is set as 6 months, which is much shorter than 5 years. Would it be to allow Malaysian/Chinese individuals a chance to apply early?
Do you think my chances would improve if I stated my race as Chinese instead of Korean to match my ICA profile?
What is ICA profile? Do you have any document like your birth certificate or passport saying that you are chinese? if not, if you just declare you are chinese, it is not going to help.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests