Singapore Expats Forum
 

PR approval chance in 2020

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
User avatar
jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 11:12 pm

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by jamie9vardy » Wed, 26 Aug 2020 8:02 pm

Jana8585 wrote:Hello! Much appreciate feedback/comments on my pr application chances.

I’ve submitted my application on Nov 2019 under PTS scheme. This is my 5th submission, the previous 4 submission was under PTS but not married.

Nationality: Canadian
Race: Chinese, Born in Hong Kong
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Martial Status: Married to Chinese SC in 2018
Kids: none
Education: Bachelors - Marketing
Salary: ~50k
Nature of Industry: business intelligence
Role: customer service
Tax file: 7-8 times (cannot remember the exact no of yrs)
Length of stay in SG: came since 2010, around 2013 I went back to Hong Kong for 6months

Thanks in advance!!
Yours is a tough one to call. Being ethically Chinese, female and have been applying before you were 30. It could be due to the relatively low salary and maybe being a naturalised Canadian you’re perceived as not SC material as you’re unlikely to give up your Canadian passport.

Now that you’re married to a local Chinese and would have been at least 2 years of marriage by end of this year, i.e. one year from date of application, your PTS case maybe treated as spouse-sponsored case. That would depend on your husband income level as well.

Maybe a 50% chance. Let’s see what other regulars think.

joi016
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 5:02 pm

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by joi016 » Wed, 26 Aug 2020 10:31 pm

joi016 wrote:
Thu, 20 Aug 2020 7:53 pm
Hi everyone!
A little concern raised up here regarding my PR application
I applied my PR on 24th Jan 2020 and keep pending till now
Nationality: Malaysian Chinese
Pass: EP
Sector: Marine Shipbuilding
Education: Degree in Chemical Engineering
Role: Engineer
Age: 25
In SG: since 2018 Jul
Salary: 3050 (Mar 2020 increased to 3200)

So my concern stated as below:
-I realized my first tax submission amount was incorrect resulted no tax payment for my first working year but I immediately settled with my 2020 tax on April
-I got increment on March but only informed ICA on Jun and they already forward the document to officer
does this will affect my result? How likely will be rejected? It was pending for so long since Jan 2020
I recently volunteer to participate covid vaccine clinical trial. My initial intention is wish to made contribution to fight against this pandemic war, I swear not to “wayang” for my application. This actually took me some courage to made this decision.

Just wondering does this participation adding some value to my PR application?
I didn’t inform ICA regarding this trial but are they going to notice this?

User avatar
jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 11:12 pm

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by jamie9vardy » Wed, 26 Aug 2020 10:54 pm

joi016 wrote:
joi016 wrote:
Thu, 20 Aug 2020 7:53 pm
Hi everyone!
A little concern raised up here regarding my PR application
I applied my PR on 24th Jan 2020 and keep pending till now
Nationality: Malaysian Chinese
Pass: EP
Sector: Marine Shipbuilding
Education: Degree in Chemical Engineering
Role: Engineer
Age: 25
In SG: since 2018 Jul
Salary: 3050 (Mar 2020 increased to 3200)

So my concern stated as below:
-I realized my first tax submission amount was incorrect resulted no tax payment for my first working year but I immediately settled with my 2020 tax on April
-I got increment on March but only informed ICA on Jun and they already forward the document to officer
does this will affect my result? How likely will be rejected? It was pending for so long since Jan 2020
I recently volunteer to participate covid vaccine clinical trial. My initial intention is wish to made contribution to fight against this pandemic war, I swear not to “wayang” for my application. This actually took me some courage to made this decision.

Just wondering does this participation adding some value to my PR application?
I didn’t inform ICA regarding this trial but are they going to notice this?
Count for nought

foreversleepy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat, 29 Oct 2016 10:44 pm

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by foreversleepy » Wed, 26 Aug 2020 11:10 pm

Not sure why my first post was not reflecting in the thread, apologies if I double posted.

Hi all,

Any advice on my chances of getting PR will be greatly appreciated!

Myself
Age:25
Nationality: Mainland China Chinese
Education: Bachelor from local uni, in Singapore since 2010 sec sch->JC->Uni
Work: Currently holding EP, 1-year working experience in the media industry
Salary: 40k+ without bonus
Previously holding student pass, applied for PR twice, both rejected

My boyfriend
Age: 26
Nationality: SC
Education: Bachelor from a local uni
Work: Civil servant in government agency
Salary: 50k+ excluding bonus

Would like to have an idea what are the chances of me getting PR if I apply myself, and also what are my odds of getting PR if we get married and go through sponsorship route.

Thank you so much for any advice and guidance in advance!

pleaseplease
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 3:45 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by pleaseplease » Thu, 27 Aug 2020 2:14 am

Hi All,

Considering this pandemic, post GE and my relatively 'new' status of work here in SG, wanted to know how long I should wait before my first attempt for a PR application.

Myself
Age: 27, Female
Nationality: Malaysian Chinese
Education: Bachelor of Arts (Honours program) from a Canadian uni
Education: Did a short 1 month exchange to NUS in between
Industry: Travel Tech (relatively young company <5 years)
Work Experience: 34 months in MY, 8 months in SG (working with the same company for 3.5 years, relocated from MY to SG office this year)
Work: Currently holding EP
Salary: 51k+ (assuming travel industry still survives till EOY)
Family: dating a SC but otherwise single on paper
First time application

I've been dreaming of this day since schooling days back in KL, I just feel so connected with the people and place here. A large part of my mum's siblings are Singaporeans here, cousins, niece etc. though the only uncles and aunt I was close with are now deceased, we used to drive down once a month to visit our relatives for a bit. I'm planning to apply for my PR sooner or later, just given the current challenging times not sure what would be the ideal time to wait out. With free time on the side now am also hoping to be able to develop a web & app to help locals discover hidden 'gems' (can't give away too much now in case it flops heh) but all in all just super stoked

Appreciate any input :) ty in advance!

the observer
Regular
Regular
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:57 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by the observer » Thu, 27 Aug 2020 7:16 am

joi016 wrote:
Wed, 26 Aug 2020 10:31 pm
joi016 wrote:
Thu, 20 Aug 2020 7:53 pm
Hi everyone!
A little concern raised up here regarding my PR application
I applied my PR on 24th Jan 2020 and keep pending till now
Nationality: Malaysian Chinese
Pass: EP
Sector: Marine Shipbuilding
Education: Degree in Chemical Engineering
Role: Engineer
Age: 25
In SG: since 2018 Jul
Salary: 3050 (Mar 2020 increased to 3200)

So my concern stated as below:
-I realized my first tax submission amount was incorrect resulted no tax payment for my first working year but I immediately settled with my 2020 tax on April
-I got increment on March but only informed ICA on Jun and they already forward the document to officer
does this will affect my result? How likely will be rejected? It was pending for so long since Jan 2020
I recently volunteer to participate covid vaccine clinical trial. My initial intention is wish to made contribution to fight against this pandemic war, I swear not to “wayang” for my application. This actually took me some courage to made this decision.

Just wondering does this participation adding some value to my PR application?
I didn’t inform ICA regarding this trial but are they going to notice this?
The biggest strength of your application lies in your ability to integrate.

That is being Malaysian Chinese.

The ethnic/nationality quota is primarily, in my opinion, the biggest factor in gaining a PR/Citizenship.

Educated to a tertiary level and being young are the plus points.

You will get it over time, if you keep trying and stay gainfully employed.

Being a guinea pig to vaccine trials doesn’t seem much like a volunteering effort, and I think you have been remunerated for that. SGD 1k or so?

the observer
Regular
Regular
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:57 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by the observer » Thu, 27 Aug 2020 7:47 am

pleaseplease wrote:
Thu, 27 Aug 2020 2:14 am
Hi All,

Considering this pandemic, post GE and my relatively 'new' status of work here in SG, wanted to know how long I should wait before my first attempt for a PR application.

Myself
Age: 27, Female
Nationality: Malaysian Chinese
Education: Bachelor of Arts (Honours program) from a Canadian uni
Education: Did a short 1 month exchange to NUS in between
Industry: Travel Tech (relatively young company <5 years)
Work Experience: 34 months in MY, 8 months in SG (working with the same company for 3.5 years, relocated from MY to SG office this year)
Work: Currently holding EP
Salary: 51k+ (assuming travel industry still survives till EOY)
Family: dating a SC but otherwise single on paper
First time application

I've been dreaming of this day since schooling days back in KL, I just feel so connected with the people and place here. A large part of my mum's siblings are Singaporeans here, cousins, niece etc. though the only uncles and aunt I was close with are now deceased, we used to drive down once a month to visit our relatives for a bit. I'm planning to apply for my PR sooner or later, just given the current challenging times not sure what would be the ideal time to wait out. With free time on the side now am also hoping to be able to develop a web & app to help locals discover hidden 'gems' (can't give away too much now in case it flops heh) but all in all just super stoked

Appreciate any input :) ty in advance!
That wall of text...

Pros.

Ethnic Quota.
Young.
Still gainfully employed [ :roll: ]
All the similar points being made to joi016 above.

Cons:

If i can think of one.
The pandemic + election will reduce the number of approvals for citizens and PRs across the board.

joi016
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 5:02 pm

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by joi016 » Thu, 27 Aug 2020 9:31 am

the observer wrote:
Thu, 27 Aug 2020 7:16 am
joi016 wrote:
Wed, 26 Aug 2020 10:31 pm
joi016 wrote:
Thu, 20 Aug 2020 7:53 pm
Hi everyone!
A little concern raised up here regarding my PR application
I applied my PR on 24th Jan 2020 and keep pending till now
Nationality: Malaysian Chinese
Pass: EP
Sector: Marine Shipbuilding
Education: Degree in Chemical Engineering
Role: Engineer
Age: 25
In SG: since 2018 Jul
Salary: 3050 (Mar 2020 increased to 3200)

So my concern stated as below:
-I realized my first tax submission amount was incorrect resulted no tax payment for my first working year but I immediately settled with my 2020 tax on April
-I got increment on March but only informed ICA on Jun and they already forward the document to officer
does this will affect my result? How likely will be rejected? It was pending for so long since Jan 2020
I recently volunteer to participate covid vaccine clinical trial. My initial intention is wish to made contribution to fight against this pandemic war, I swear not to “wayang” for my application. This actually took me some courage to made this decision.

Just wondering does this participation adding some value to my PR application?
I didn’t inform ICA regarding this trial but are they going to notice this?
The biggest strength of your application lies in your ability to integrate.

That is being Malaysian Chinese.

The ethnic/nationality quota is primarily, in my opinion, the biggest factor in gaining a PR/Citizenship.

Educated to a tertiary level and being young are the plus points.

You will get it over time, if you keep trying and stay gainfully employed.

Being a guinea pig to vaccine trials doesn’t seem much like a volunteering effort, and I think you have been remunerated for that. SGD 1k or so?
I’m not sure the remunerated.
My application already pending for 7months, quite fatigue tbh,but nothing I can do except waiting. I thk most likely the prolong screening time is due to my industry sector is shipbuilding, the downtrend of current market resulted volatile and unstable of my employment so ICA will not give priority for this type of application first perhaps

pleaseplease
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 3:45 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by pleaseplease » Thu, 27 Aug 2020 9:47 am

the observer wrote:
Thu, 27 Aug 2020 7:47 am
pleaseplease wrote:
Thu, 27 Aug 2020 2:14 am
Hi All,

Considering this pandemic, post GE and my relatively 'new' status of work here in SG, wanted to know how long I should wait before my first attempt for a PR application.

Myself
Age: 27, Female
Nationality: Malaysian Chinese
Education: Bachelor of Arts (Honours program) from a Canadian uni
Education: Did a short 1 month exchange to NUS in between
Industry: Travel Tech (relatively young company <5 years)
Work Experience: 34 months in MY, 8 months in SG (working with the same company for 3.5 years, relocated from MY to SG office this year)
Work: Currently holding EP
Salary: 51k+ (assuming travel industry still survives till EOY)
Family: dating a SC but otherwise single on paper
First time application

I've been dreaming of this day since schooling days back in KL, I just feel so connected with the people and place here. A large part of my mum's siblings are Singaporeans here, cousins, niece etc. though the only uncles and aunt I was close with are now deceased, we used to drive down once a month to visit our relatives for a bit. I'm planning to apply for my PR sooner or later, just given the current challenging times not sure what would be the ideal time to wait out. With free time on the side now am also hoping to be able to develop a web & app to help locals discover hidden 'gems' (can't give away too much now in case it flops heh) but all in all just super stoked

Appreciate any input :) ty in advance!
That wall of text...

Pros.

Ethnic Quota.
Young.
Still gainfully employed [ :roll: ]
All the similar points being made to joi016 above.

Cons:

If i can think of one.
The pandemic + election will reduce the number of approvals for citizens and PRs across the board.
thought I should give as much context and be accurate... so best bet to apply mid next year when things died down a little..?

therat
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 2:23 pm

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by therat » Thu, 27 Aug 2020 10:28 am

foreversleepy wrote:
Wed, 26 Aug 2020 11:10 pm
Not sure why my first post was not reflecting in the thread, apologies if I double posted.

Hi all,

Any advice on my chances of getting PR will be greatly appreciated!

Myself
Age:25
Nationality: Mainland China Chinese
Education: Bachelor from local uni, in Singapore since 2010 sec sch->JC->Uni
Work: Currently holding EP, 1-year working experience in the media industry
Salary: 40k+ without bonus
Previously holding student pass, applied for PR twice, both rejected

My boyfriend
Age: 26
Nationality: SC
Education: Bachelor from a local uni
Work: Civil servant in government agency
Salary: 50k+ excluding bonus

Would like to have an idea what are the chances of me getting PR if I apply myself, and also what are my odds of getting PR if we get married and go through sponsorship route.

Thank you so much for any advice and guidance in advance!
your BF has nothing to do with your PR application.
If apply right after marriage, it will raise raise eyebrows to ICA

the observer
Regular
Regular
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:57 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by the observer » Thu, 27 Aug 2020 11:09 am

pleaseplease wrote:
Thu, 27 Aug 2020 9:47 am
the observer wrote:
Thu, 27 Aug 2020 7:47 am
pleaseplease wrote:
Thu, 27 Aug 2020 2:14 am
Hi All,

Considering this pandemic, post GE and my relatively 'new' status of work here in SG, wanted to know how long I should wait before my first attempt for a PR application.

Myself
Age: 27, Female
Nationality: Malaysian Chinese
Education: Bachelor of Arts (Honours program) from a Canadian uni
Education: Did a short 1 month exchange to NUS in between
Industry: Travel Tech (relatively young company <5 years)
Work Experience: 34 months in MY, 8 months in SG (working with the same company for 3.5 years, relocated from MY to SG office this year)
Work: Currently holding EP
Salary: 51k+ (assuming travel industry still survives till EOY)
Family: dating a SC but otherwise single on paper
First time application

I've been dreaming of this day since schooling days back in KL, I just feel so connected with the people and place here. A large part of my mum's siblings are Singaporeans here, cousins, niece etc. though the only uncles and aunt I was close with are now deceased, we used to drive down once a month to visit our relatives for a bit. I'm planning to apply for my PR sooner or later, just given the current challenging times not sure what would be the ideal time to wait out. With free time on the side now am also hoping to be able to develop a web & app to help locals discover hidden 'gems' (can't give away too much now in case it flops heh) but all in all just super stoked

Appreciate any input :) ty in advance!
That wall of text...

Pros.

Ethnic Quota.
Young.
Still gainfully employed [ :roll: ]
All the similar points being made to joi016 above.

Cons:

If i can think of one.
The pandemic + election will reduce the number of approvals for citizens and PRs across the board.
thought I should give as much context and be accurate... so best bet to apply mid next year when things died down a little..?
If I were you, I'd apply now regardless.

Even with lesser approvals granted this year, the elephant's share of PRs are still going to be granted to your kind of profile.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37303
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 27 Aug 2020 1:36 pm

Theoretically, I would agree with 'the observer'. The only codicil I would add would be be prepared for a rejection only because of the short stay and employment history 'in Singapore' I'd probably wait until at least a full year of employment even though you are a prime candidate. However, if you apply now, go into it with the likelihood of rejection based only on the time frame and not on your ethnicity, nationality, gender or qualifications (all perfect). If you are successful, it's a definite win under dicey times. Good Luck.

the observer
Regular
Regular
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:57 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by the observer » Thu, 27 Aug 2020 1:41 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 27 Aug 2020 1:36 pm
Theoretically, I would agree with 'the observer'. The only codicil I would add would be be prepared for a rejection only because of the short stay and employment history 'in Singapore' I'd probably wait until at least a full year of employment even though you are a prime candidate. However, if you apply now, go into it with the likelihood of rejection based only on the time frame and not on your ethnicity, nationality, gender or qualifications (all perfect). If you are successful, it's a definite win under dicey times. Good Luck.
If i might add, if she loses her job, chances sink all the way down to zero.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37303
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 27 Aug 2020 2:03 pm

Yep, that was the whole reason behind my response as well but just didn't say it. I figured 12 months stay would give enough time (beginning of 2021?) to see some "green lanes" start to percolate. One can only hope!

pleaseplease
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 3:45 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by pleaseplease » Thu, 27 Aug 2020 3:34 pm

Thanks both for your wise input, my sentiments exactly about the whole job security thing at the moment, though we are now working very closely with the gov I wonder if they have any insight into how well this would pan out..

I was speaking to a counselor briefly on this and she mentioned that eventhough there are tighter restrictions on foreigners coming into SG, however the quotas remain the same (for now) so should stand an ok chance to try (?) sounds dubious

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests