Singapore Expats Forum

PR approval chance in 2020

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
PartyLike-A-Russian

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by PartyLike-A-Russian » Mon, 10 Aug 2020 3:48 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sun, 09 Aug 2020 3:34 pm
Contributions to charities is been abused so often for so long that it's a joke any more. Those from the subcontinent abused this one beyond belief and as soon as they get PR the charity doesn't ever see them again.
I've read such opinion about charities a lot. Many folks here think so. Is there any more or less official information about abuse of charities? If it's only an opinion, well, everyone has a right to have an opinion.

The same pattern can apply to integration efforts or creating jobs for the locals. One can do a lot to integrate and disappear from whatever they were involved in after getting PR. What's the point in integration efforts then?
Sun, 09 Aug 2020 3:34 pm
waste of time
There are sincere people in this world who wouldn't donate or volunteer to benefit from the Gov later on. I know those who keep supporting charities in their home countries while working in SG.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 1

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 10 Aug 2020 4:43 pm

You are perfectly welcome to your own opinions. Ours are opinions as well because you cannot get this kind of data from the government, but at least ours is based of heaps of anecdotal evidence. You came here with your hat in your hand. Like so many others in the past, you didn't get the preconceived answer you had in your own mind and have gotten aggro subsequently. Good Luck in your application.

PartyLike-A-Russian

Post by PartyLike-A-Russian » Mon, 10 Aug 2020 5:30 pm

Mon, 10 Aug 2020 4:43 pm
have gotten aggro subsequently.
Sir, I am sorry if anything I said hurt you or anyone else. I didn't mean to.
Mon, 10 Aug 2020 4:43 pm
Good Luck in your application.
Thank you.

I'm just trying to understand what my wife and I can do to settle down somewhere. No country in this world would accept you just because you love it and want to be there. One has to deal with points-based systems, requirements, silly quotas, etc. But what can we do? We can only look for ways to overcome obstacles on our way.

I hope there will be something for us eventually. Best of luck to you too :)

Number13000

Post by Number13000 » Mon, 10 Aug 2020 5:57 pm

Greetings all,

Thank you for your diligent contributions to this thread. It has greatly helped me along in my own application which I have been considering for some time.

I was hoping to get some opinions on my chances, given that I applied in Feb 2020 and have just passed the 6 month mark.

Myself-
Race: Eurasian/Caucasian (my mother is Eurasian and father is Maori-Caucasian, with my Mother being a Eurasian from India kind. Their passports are UK and New Zealand. Of course, none of this complex ethnic data is really shown in the application...)
Nationality: Applied with my New Zealand passport as that's my tied to my FIN.
Duration in Singapore: Arrived at 15 years old and have been resident until now (9 years straight)
Schooling: International School (no places in local school in 2011 alr...)
Tertiary: Went straight to local University (NUS/Yale-NUS) and did Pol Sci.
Occupation: Working in local media currently. Industry isn't thriving or suffering this year. On EP. Applied with 6 x months of pay slips in hand
Income: 48K p.a. - higher end for first jobs in my industry but definitely not the best.
Tax: 1 x Tax Cycle elapsed during my application
Other: Single, near-fluent in Malay and Mandarin - ICA won't know this but it's reflected on my transcript. Completed the max uni level for these languages. Have done volunteer Malay translation for Habitat for Humanity and included this.

Parents retired in 2016 and went to live in New Zealand, been on my own since then. Worked a lot of odd jobs on Student Pass.

About to go for a Master's at RSIS (2021) if I get PR since it considerably lowers the fees/associated costs and I plan to make Singapore my forever home. Haven't really lived anywhere else and am a little too adjusted here to move elsewhere. All my friends are here too.

If I don't get PR, probably won't apply again (heartbreak, lol). Will consider moving on...

Thanks in advance for your attention!
Last edited by Number13000 on Mon, 07 Sep 2020 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 10 Aug 2020 7:31 pm

Number13000 wrote:
Mon, 10 Aug 2020 5:57 pm
Greetings all,

Thank you for your diligent contributions to this thread. It has greatly helped me along in my own application which I have been considering for some time.

I was hoping to get some opinions on my chances, given that I applied in Feb 2020 and have just passed the 6 month mark.

Myself-
Race: Eurasian/Caucasian (my mother is Eurasian and father is Maori-Caucasian, with my Mother being a bona fide Eurasian from Malacca kind. Their passports are UK and New Zealand. Of course, none of this complex ethnic data is really shown in the application...)
Nationality: Applied with my New Zealand passport as that's my tied to my FIN.
Duration in Singapore: Arrived at 15 years old and have been resident until now (9 years straight)
Schooling: International School (no places in local school in 2011 alr...)
Tertiary: Went straight to local University (NUS/Yale-NUS) and did Pol Sci.
Occupation: Working in local media currently. Industry isn't thriving or suffering this year. On EP. Applied with 6 x months of pay slips in hand
Income: 48K p.a. - higher end for first jobs in my industry but definitely not the best.
Tax: 1 x Tax Cycle elapsed during my application
Other: Single, near-fluent in Malay and Mandarin - ICA won't know this but it's reflected on my transcript. Completed the max uni level for these languages. Have done volunteer Malay translation for Habitat for Humanity and included this.

Parents retired in 2016 and went to live in New Zealand, been on my own since then. Worked a lot of odd jobs on Student Pass.

About to go for a Master's at RSIS (2021) if I get PR since it considerably lowers the fees/associated costs and I plan to make Singapore my forever home. Haven't really lived anywhere else and am a little too adjusted here to move elsewhere. All my friends are here too.

If I don't get PR, probably won't apply again (heartbreak, lol). Will consider moving on...

Thanks in advance for your attention!
50-50. Go ahead and apply. If rejected, apply after 2 - 3 years of tax NOA

aravindkenchan

Post by aravindkenchan » Mon, 10 Aug 2020 7:54 pm

Hi I applied my PR application in Feb 2019. i recently changed my Job in March 2020. do i need to update to ICA?

Previous Job: Project Engineer ($3800 Basic per month)

Current Job: Fac Mechanical Engineer ($4500 Basic + $200) Over all $4700 /month. Please advice.

AfterLife

Post by AfterLife » Mon, 10 Aug 2020 9:02 pm

PartyLike-A-Russian wrote:
Mon, 10 Aug 2020 1:40 pm

Did I say I would open a dummy company?
If I open a company, it will be something this country and people need, OK?
I'm not the kind of person who would deceive people or a gov agency.
You're not the first one here and definitely not the first one for ICA , no need to be so defensive. What you're asking is basically how to circumvent ICA rules and now you are "not the kind of person". Sounds contradictory isn't it?

Anyways, not sure what your agenda is, chasing ICA criteria is stupid game because a) you don't know ythe criteria, b) the criteria is changed over the course of time.

If you really would like to commit and become a SPR - be a good part of community over the course of 5-10+ years and contribute not because ICA favours it for SPR, but because you feel this way. And things will settle on it's own. There is simpoly no way to expedite it, especially if you stayed here for less than 5 years.

On a separate note, it looks very strange that after 1+ year you made your mind about staying in Spore. You may not be aware of how all things roll here. Not everything is just shiny, some things are hard. You need time to understand if environment does fit you.

PartyLike-A-Russian

Post by PartyLike-A-Russian » Mon, 10 Aug 2020 9:40 pm

AfterLife wrote:
Mon, 10 Aug 2020 9:02 pm
What you're asking is basically how to circumvent ICA rules and now you are "not the kind of person". Sounds contradictory isn't it?
Sorry if anything I said was rude. Peace :)
I never meant I would like to circumvent ICA or anyone else.
I truly would love to contribute to this country and deserve my PR.
And I am thinking about starting a business. Regardless of my PR application(s).
AfterLife wrote:
If you really would like to commit and become a SPR - be a good part of community over the course of 5-10+ years and contribute not because ICA favours it for SPR, but because you feel this way.
Spending 5 or 7 years is not an issue. The problem is that when you're on an EP, it feels insecure. You lose your job, and you leave the country unless you find a new job within a month. And this is in normal times. Given COVID-19 and the uncertain economic situation, it feels even more insecure.

Getting a PEP could improve the situation (6 months without a job, and normally on any visa or in your own country you wouldn't voluntarily spend 6 months unemployed). But now, in the uncertain economic situation, I would be stick to my current job rather than look for a PEP.
AfterLife wrote:
On a separate note, it looks very strange that after 1+ year you made your mind about staying in Spore. You may not be aware of how all things roll here. Not everything is just shiny, some things are hard. You need time to understand if environment does fit you.
Well, there's no ideal place in the world. But if you filter out countries by climate, stability, safety, jobs, path to PR/citizenship etc., I don't think there will a long list. And I didn't plan on moving to SG. I got contacted by my current company, passed an interview, did a basic research and came. Now I feel like I want to settle down here. So does my wife.

Good luck to you too.

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 10 Aug 2020 10:20 pm

aravindkenchan wrote:
Mon, 10 Aug 2020 7:54 pm
Hi I applied my PR application in Feb 2019. i recently changed my Job in March 2020. do i need to update to ICA?

Previous Job: Project Engineer ($3800 Basic per month)

Current Job: Fac Mechanical Engineer ($4500 Basic + $200) Over all $4700 /month. Please advice.
Yes, you need to update ICA for any chances in the application while it is in progress

PartyLike-A-Russian

Post by PartyLike-A-Russian » Mon, 10 Aug 2020 10:20 pm

AfterLife wrote:
Well, it's like with a romantic relationship, you know. You don't need to date your partner for years to understand if you want to be with them in the long run. Typically a year or two is enough.

But this is a different topic :D
AfterLife wrote:
Not everything is just shiny, some things are hard.
What do you find hard for yourself?
Last edited by PartyLike-A-Russian on Mon, 10 Aug 2020 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 10 Aug 2020 10:32 pm

Mon, 10 Aug 2020 10:20 pm
AfterLife wrote:
Well, it's like with a romantic relationship, you know. You don't need to date your partner for years to understand if you want to be with them in the long run. Typically a year or two is enough.

But this is a different topic :D
Since you have already made up your mind to justify to whatever we say, I think there is nothing more to say other than all the very best!

AfterLife

Post by AfterLife » Mon, 10 Aug 2020 10:52 pm

Mon, 10 Aug 2020 9:40 pm
Sorry if anything I said was rude. Peace :)
I never meant I would like to circumvent ICA or anyone else.
I truly would love to contribute to this country and deserve my PR.
And I am thinking about starting a business. Regardless of my PR application(s).
Well, all the best for you then. You shall not worry about PR then - hard work sometimes (not always) works magic.
Spending 5 or 7 years is not an issue. The problem is that when you're on an EP, it feels insecure. You lose your job, and you leave the country unless you find a new job within a month. And this is in normal times. Given COVID-19 and the uncertain economic situation, it feels even more insecure.
Some things come with flow of time. That's the condition of your work visa. Besides other things ICA wants to see your career progression over course of time, if you will get any. If you change many places or work 10 years on same position (unless this is C-level position) this will decrease your chances.
Well, there's no ideal place in the world. But if you filter out countries by climate, stability, safety, jobs, path to PR/citizenship etc., I don't think there will a long list. And I didn't plan on moving to SG. I got contacted by my current company, passed an interview, did a basic research and came. Now I feel like I want to settle down here. So does my wife.

Good luck to you too.
Appreciation of things you've listed are mostly subjective - very few like the climate here and you will definitely won't like it after some time. You perhaps need more time to make proper judgements.

Anyways, all the best

MayChua

Post by MayChua » Wed, 12 Aug 2020 6:36 pm

Hi!

I'm new here and am considering applying for PR this year.

Profile:
Race: Chinese
Nationality: Indonesian
Duration in Singapore: 19 years (Arrived in Singapore when I was quite young)
Schooling: Attended local primary & secondary school in Singapore
Tertiary: Got my diploma from local polytechnic and currently doing part-time degree with private university
Occupation: Working in digital advertising industry and currently on spass
Income: 48K p.a.
Tax: 4 x Tax Cycle

Just for a point of reference, I've actually applied for PR twice, once when I just graduated from secondary school and another when I just started working.

Wondering if anyone could advise me in terms of what are the chances if I do apply for the third time?

Appreciate any help and advise, thanks in advance! :)

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 12 Aug 2020 6:54 pm

MayChua wrote:
Wed, 12 Aug 2020 6:36 pm
Hi!

Profile:
Tertiary: Got my diploma from local polytechnic and currently doing part-time degree with private university

Just for a point of reference, I've actually applied for PR twice, once when I just graduated from secondary school and another when I just started working.

Wondering if anyone could advise me in terms of what are the chances if I do apply for the third time?

Surely better than the last 2 times

TropicalExpat
Chatter
Chatter

Post by TropicalExpat » Thu, 13 Aug 2020 8:46 am

MayChua wrote:
Wed, 12 Aug 2020 6:36 pm
Hi!

Profile:

The race seems to be in your favour but the salary seems quite low