Singapore Expats Forum
 

PR approval chance in 2020

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
trmm14
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon, 06 Apr 2020 7:20 pm

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by trmm14 » Thu, 09 Apr 2020 11:46 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Mon, 06 Apr 2020 10:15 pm
trmm14 wrote:
Mon, 06 Apr 2020 7:25 pm
Hi,

Would really appreciate some assessment of my shot here:

Age : 38
Race : Vietnamese
Gender : Male
Marital Status : Married. I'm applying with my wife, who has been with me in Singapore since I first moved here on a DP and my newborn child who's also on a DP.
Education : Master & bachelor both from top US colleges
Current Field of Work : Finance
Experience: 10+ years
Length of stay : 4 year
Salary : Basic 400k+ ; 800k+ w/ bonus
Pass : EP
50-50 chance

Negatives
1. High Salary and you may easily move out to other greener pastures
2. Finance Industry

But you can still try applying. It is OK
Thank you for taking the time to answer. Sounds like you're saying having a high salary is a negative... but from other posts, having a low salary is also a negative? Would you mind explaining how you think it works?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37300
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Apr 2020 2:01 pm

It is a pretty well known fact that people in the Financial Sector will jump ship for an increment of $25K/pa to another country at the drop of a hat once the reach level over 250~300K/pa. The government knows that they are a bad option for PR as they will keep it just long enough until the next opportunity arises. Also, past histories have also shown that some Nationalities tend to like to try to collect PR's from multiple countries so they can game the system.

Too low of a salary and one has a hard time surviving comfortably in Singapore which would possibly end up causing a low salary person to go back to their home country if they are not able to keep up with the increasing costs in Singapore. Middle of the road, still hungry types who want a better life make the best "Permanent" residents and future citizens. It's also why once someone reaches 45 the government is slow to grant as well. With the new economy, they may find themselves unemployed and anecdotally, it is extremely hard to find gainful employment here to entice them to stay. Therefore why give PR to those who are a flight risk? (not criminal, mind you, but due to the way things are here, older people do find it difficult to find employment (for a salary they are willing to work for) and also will start having medical issues, so the government looks at is the additional strain on the subsidies work the productivity that is possibly left for the older applicant. Remember the population density here.

Needsyourhelp555
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 8:29 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by Needsyourhelp555 » Sat, 11 Apr 2020 9:53 am

Hi All

I was wondering if I could get some guidance with regards to applying for PR for my husband at this point in time. I am a Singaporean so we will be applying under the Family Ties Scheme.

Me: Sponsor
Age:32
Children : None
Employment: Data Analyst in an entertainment company
Was previously a trader but took a pay cut to switch into a data role which I enjoy more
Current basic: 102k
Precious basic as a trader : 156k (comms however we’re significant and equal to a years salary)
Would this drop in salary though deliberate be an issue for me as a sponsor though financially we are very comfortable. In addition to income from employment I also get income from rental.

Husband
Age:39
Employment: Business Development in FMCG
Current basic: 60k
Nationality:Pakistani

He’s currently on an LTVP+ We’ve been married for 6.5 years now and he’s been living in singapore for 5 years.

Previous rejected PR applications
- 2014 (right after marriage not wise)
- 2017 (received the standard rejection letter)

Husbands employment has been patchy as an LTVP+ requiring an LOC has made it tough to get employment esp in his industry which focuses on hiring Singaporeans and PR. He’s been in his current job for 8 months. And he was in 2 other companies before that. There is prob a gap of a little over a year which was as a result of his previous company folding and him being unable to secure employment during this period.

We’re committed to making Singapore home. I was born and bred here.

Would now be a good time for us to apply or would the forum suggest waiting for a bit?

I do understand that we should prob wait till we have a child but we are trying (thought I should put that in there :p)

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2825
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by singaporeflyer » Sat, 11 Apr 2020 11:35 am

Needsyourhelp555 wrote:
Sat, 11 Apr 2020 9:53 am
Hi All

I was wondering if I could get some guidance with regards to applying for PR for my husband at this point in time. I am a Singaporean so we will be applying under the Family Ties Scheme.

Me: Sponsor
Age:32
Children : None
Employment: Data Analyst in an entertainment company
Was previously a trader but took a pay cut to switch into a data role which I enjoy more
Current basic: 102k
Precious basic as a trader : 156k (comms however we’re significant and equal to a years salary)
Would this drop in salary though deliberate be an issue for me as a sponsor though financially we are very comfortable. In addition to income from employment I also get income from rental.

Husband
Age:39
Employment: Business Development in FMCG
Current basic: 60k
Nationality:Pakistani

He’s currently on an LTVP+ We’ve been married for 6.5 years now and he’s been living in singapore for 5 years.

Previous rejected PR applications
- 2014 (right after marriage not wise)
- 2017 (received the standard rejection letter)

Husbands employment has been patchy as an LTVP+ requiring an LOC has made it tough to get employment esp in his industry which focuses on hiring Singaporeans and PR. He’s been in his current job for 8 months. And he was in 2 other companies before that. There is prob a gap of a little over a year which was as a result of his previous company folding and him being unable to secure employment during this period.

We’re committed to making Singapore home. I was born and bred here.

Would now be a good time for us to apply or would the forum suggest waiting for a bit?

I do understand that we should prob wait till we have a child but we are trying (thought I should put that in there :p)
Better if he works continuously for 2 years and then apply under your sponsorship.

trmm14
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon, 06 Apr 2020 7:20 pm

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by trmm14 » Mon, 13 Apr 2020 11:05 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 09 Apr 2020 2:01 pm
It is a pretty well known fact that people in the Financial Sector will jump ship for an increment of $25K/pa to another country at the drop of a hat once the reach level over 250~300K/pa. The government knows that they are a bad option for PR as they will keep it just long enough until the next opportunity arises. Also, past histories have also shown that some Nationalities tend to like to try to collect PR's from multiple countries so they can game the system.

Too low of a salary and one has a hard time surviving comfortably in Singapore which would possibly end up causing a low salary person to go back to their home country if they are not able to keep up with the increasing costs in Singapore. Middle of the road, still hungry types who want a better life make the best "Permanent" residents and future citizens. It's also why once someone reaches 45 the government is slow to grant as well. With the new economy, they may find themselves unemployed and anecdotally, it is extremely hard to find gainful employment here to entice them to stay. Therefore why give PR to those who are a flight risk? (not criminal, mind you, but due to the way things are here, older people do find it difficult to find employment (for a salary they are willing to work for) and also will start having medical issues, so the government looks at is the additional strain on the subsidies work the productivity that is possibly left for the older applicant. Remember the population density here.
Thank you. I suppose this makes sense - though I'm not sure I agree with you that an increment of $25k or something in the ballpark would be the key factor in spurring people to relocate :)

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37300
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 13 Apr 2020 12:32 pm

trmm14, I not saying don't apply. Just be prepared for a result that you might not expect. We have seen the one off approval, but to say it is an indicator would be flying in the face of a heck of a lot of anecdotal evidence over the years. (and I've been on this board for a few of them). ;-) The additional recommendations mentioned by both you and SF definitely would help and may be enough to turn the tide. Sometime dogged persistence pay off as well.

gmanhella
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 12:24 pm

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by gmanhella » Wed, 22 Apr 2020 11:50 am

Hi

Would really appreciate some assessment of my shot here:

Age : 29
Race : Indian
Gender : Male
Marital Status : Married to Singaporean Chinese girl for two years who has a degree from NTU and earning around 80K/pa
Education : Master & bachelor both from top US colleges
Current Field of Work : Tech Investments
Experience: 6 years
Length of stay :5 years (4th time filing for taxes in SG)
Salary : 2019 IRAS assessment SGD 140K
Pass : EP

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2825
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 22 Apr 2020 1:28 pm

gmanhella wrote:
Wed, 22 Apr 2020 11:50 am
Hi

Would really appreciate some assessment of my shot here:

Age : 29
Race : Indian
Gender : Male
Marital Status : Married to Singaporean Chinese girl for two years who has a degree from NTU and earning around 80K/pa
Education : Master & bachelor both from top US colleges
Current Field of Work : Tech Investments
Experience: 6 years
Length of stay :5 years (4th time filing for taxes in SG)
Salary : 2019 IRAS assessment SGD 140K
Pass : EP
Apply after 1 year or after you have a kid via the sponsorship route, you will have a decent chance

yogi2484
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 2:05 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by yogi2484 » Wed, 22 Apr 2020 11:09 pm

Hi,
Has anyone received PR approvals in last couple of months? I have been awaiting my results for more than an year now. Had received mail from ICA in early Feb to update family details but nothing after that. I thought this could be due to ongoing COVID 19 crisis but looking at the forum few people have seen results albeit negative so curious to know if anyone has heard of any approvals recently.

I work in the Digital advertising industry with over 14 years of experience and almost 6 years in SG.

Thanks

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2825
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 22 Apr 2020 11:44 pm

yogi2484 wrote:
Wed, 22 Apr 2020 11:09 pm
Hi,
Has anyone received PR approvals in last couple of months? I have been awaiting my results for more than an year now. Had received mail from ICA in early Feb to update family details but nothing after that. I thought this could be due to ongoing COVID 19 crisis but looking at the forum few people have seen results albeit negative so curious to know if anyone has heard of any approvals recently.

I work in the Digital advertising industry with over 14 years of experience and almost 6 years in SG.

Thanks

Are you on PEP? If so, you will have a fair chance.

yogi2484
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 2:05 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by yogi2484 » Thu, 23 Apr 2020 11:04 pm

nope, on EP. third renewal.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2825
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 23 Apr 2020 11:20 pm

yogi2484 wrote:
Thu, 23 Apr 2020 11:04 pm
nope, on EP. third renewal.
Did you apply for PEP before?

yogi2484
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 2:05 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by yogi2484 » Thu, 23 Apr 2020 11:54 pm

I did but it got rejected and didn't bother applying again

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2825
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 24 Apr 2020 12:07 am

yogi2484 wrote:
Thu, 23 Apr 2020 11:54 pm
I did but it got rejected and didn't bother applying again
Do you know why? Didnt meet the salary criteria etc?

catlady21
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 10:24 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by catlady21 » Fri, 24 Apr 2020 10:58 am

Hi,

Please help assess our chances. I know it will be very slim mostly because of our race but we still gave it a chance. We submitted earlier this month.

We applied as family together with our 2 kids. It will be our first time to apply.

Here is our profile:

Husband
Age : 33
Race : Filipino
Education : Diploma in Computer Engineering
Current Field of Work : IT
Experience: 12 years
Length of stay in SG : 7 years
Salary : 80k+
Pass : EP

Wife
Age : 33
Race : Filipino
Education : Bachelor
Salary : 30k+
Pass : DP

Appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thank you.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests