Singapore Expats Forum
 

PR approval chance in 2020

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
li.na
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat, 06 Jun 2020 12:19 pm

Citizenship approval 2020 chances /Trend/Time taken

Post by li.na » Sat, 06 Jun 2020 12:24 pm

Can Anyone evaluate or guide on my profile
Indian citizen 37years (PR issued 2017) running own company in the marine industry earning 180k
self: PR residing in SG since 2012, having owned office
Wife -Singaporean, working, education Bachelors degree, owned house
Kid -9 months Singaporean
Applied in May 2019 still awaiting the outcome
Appreciate if can add on something to the application or if someone can throw lights
Thank you.

User avatar
jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 11:12 pm

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by jamie9vardy » Sat, 06 Jun 2020 1:24 pm

Tribe007 wrote:Married for 2 years and living in Singapore for 1 year.
I think you’ll need to wait for another year at least before you stand a decent chance. You may apply now but ICA may sit on it until such point you’ve been here long enough and ‘proven’ yourself.

Having an SC wife and child, and extended families is definitely a plus.

User avatar
jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 11:12 pm

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by jamie9vardy » Sat, 06 Jun 2020 1:26 pm

li.na wrote:Can Anyone evaluate or guide on my profile
Indian citizen 37years (PR issued 2017) running own company in the marine industry earning 180k
self: PR residing in SG since 2012, having owned office
Wife -Singaporean, working, education Bachelors degree, owned house
Kid -9 months Singaporean
Applied in May 2019 still awaiting the outcome
Appreciate if can add on something to the application or if someone can throw lights
Thank you.
What chances are you asking about? SC?
You do notice this is a PR chances thread right?

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Director
Director
Posts: 3173
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by singaporeflyer » Sat, 06 Jun 2020 2:23 pm

Tribe007 wrote:
Sat, 06 Jun 2020 12:13 pm
Married for 2 years and living in Singapore for 1 year.
You can go ahead and apply. Will get it this time or next time.

Also this is a PR thread. Why did you post your SC question here?
Last edited by singaporeflyer on Sat, 06 Jun 2020 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Director
Director
Posts: 3173
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by singaporeflyer » Sat, 06 Jun 2020 2:25 pm

ScotinSG wrote:
Sat, 06 Jun 2020 11:15 am
Hi,

Have been considering applying for PR but thinking it may be better to defer until next year....main concern is I’m not getting any younger.

Profile:
- British
- Mid-forties
- Single mother (daughters)
- Been in SG for 4 years (senior leadership roles in 2 diff companies)
- Last year’s earnings $600k+
- Strong reference from senior local business leader (government linked)

However community integration (sports etc) more expat than local.

Any thoughts on whether it’s worth applying this year (or chances at all) are much appreciated.
Chance will be very slim

reason
1. age
2. ethnicity
3. high salary and you may move overseas easily

User avatar
jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 11:12 pm

PR approval chance in 2020

Post by jamie9vardy » Sat, 06 Jun 2020 2:28 pm

ScotinSG wrote:Hi,

Have been considering applying for PR but thinking it may be better to defer until next year....main concern is I’m not getting any younger.

Profile:
- British
- Mid-forties
- Single mother (daughters)
- Been in SG for 4 years (senior leadership roles in 2 diff companies)
- Last year’s earnings $600k+
- Strong reference from senior local business leader (government linked)

However community integration (sports etc) more expat than local.

Any thoughts on whether it’s worth applying this year (or chances at all) are much appreciated.
Your case is a tricky one that could go either way.

On the one hand, your career and economic contribution are very desirable, more so if you’re in a field or industry which SG is trying to grow or lack the expertise in. I couldn’t quite tell if you are an employee or a business owner (will explain why). You have the right business connections and hope your company is hiring a fair amount of Singaporeans.

On the other hand, your age, nationality and ability to integrate (as you’ve pointed out) can sometimes be a hinderance. Also, chances are your girls will likely go back to the UK or overseas for tertiary education (I’m assuming they’re here with you and if you do decide to apply, you will include them) and whether they will come back to Singapore post university. As PR is often seen as the stepping stone to citizenship, this may be perceived to be not in your favour. I mentioned above whether you are an employee or not. If you are in a senior management position in an MNC with the income level you have indicated, you could be seen as someone who is very mobile and if the head office moves you to another country, you’re likely to be gone in a jiffy i.e. less staying power.

It’s a really a case of 50-50 in my view. No harm trying but do manage your expectations.

I am interested to see other regulars think.
Last edited by jamie9vardy on Sat, 06 Jun 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 11:12 pm

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by jamie9vardy » Sat, 06 Jun 2020 2:29 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
ScotinSG wrote:
Sat, 06 Jun 2020 11:15 am
Hi,

Have been considering applying for PR but thinking it may be better to defer until next year....main concern is I’m not getting any younger.

Profile:
- British
- Mid-forties
- Single mother (daughters)
- Been in SG for 4 years (senior leadership roles in 2 diff companies)
- Last year’s earnings $600k+
- Strong reference from senior local business leader (government linked)

However community integration (sports etc) more expat than local.

Any thoughts on whether it’s worth applying this year (or chances at all) are much appreciated.
Chance will be very slim

reason
1. age
2. ethnicity
3. high salary and you may move overseas easily
Ok, SF beat me to it first. But as I said in my post, am interested to see what SF or SMS think.

ScotinSG
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat, 06 Jun 2020 11:09 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by ScotinSG » Sat, 06 Jun 2020 3:25 pm

Thank you very much SingaporeFlyer and Jamie9Vardy

I am employed rather than a business owner so that seems like it would lessen my chances.

Ironically one of the main drivers for wanting to get PR is to facilitate property purchase so I can stay here permanently even after the children finish school. But the government are unlikely to be able to ascertain that.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Director
Director
Posts: 3173
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by singaporeflyer » Sat, 06 Jun 2020 5:54 pm

ScotinSG wrote:
Sat, 06 Jun 2020 3:25 pm
Thank you very much SingaporeFlyer and Jamie9Vardy

I am employed rather than a business owner so that seems like it would lessen my chances.

Ironically one of the main drivers for wanting to get PR is to facilitate property purchase so I can stay here permanently even after the children finish school. But the government are unlikely to be able to ascertain that.
Why not a private property then? even if you get a PR you will have to wait for 3 years minimum, before you are eligible to buy a resale HDB

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37777
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 06 Jun 2020 6:23 pm

jamie9vardy wrote:
Sat, 06 Jun 2020 2:28 pm
ScotinSG wrote:Hi,

Have been considering applying for PR but thinking it may be better to defer until next year....main concern is I’m not getting any younger.

Profile:
- British
- Mid-forties
- Single mother (daughters)
- Been in SG for 4 years (senior leadership roles in 2 diff companies)
- Last year’s earnings $600k+
- Strong reference from senior local business leader (government linked)

However community integration (sports etc) more expat than local.

Any thoughts on whether it’s worth applying this year (or chances at all) are much appreciated.
Your case is a tricky one that could go either way.

On the one hand, your career and economic contribution are very desirable, more so if you’re in a field or industry which SG is trying to grow or lack the expertise in. I couldn’t quite tell if you are an employee or a business owner (will explain why). You have the right business connections and hope your company is hiring a fair amount of Singaporeans.

On the other hand, your age, nationality and ability to integrate (as you’ve pointed out) can sometimes be a hinderance. Also, chances are your girls will likely go back to the UK or overseas for tertiary education (I’m assuming they’re here with you and if you do decide to apply, you will include them) and whether they will come back to Singapore post university. As PR is often seen as the stepping stone to citizenship, this may be perceived to be not in your favour. I mentioned above whether you are an employee or not. If you are in a senior management position in an MNC with the income level you have indicated, you could be seen as someone who is very mobile and if the head office moves you to another country, you’re likely to be gone in a jiffy i.e. less staying power.

It’s a really a case of 50-50 in my view. No harm trying but do manage your expectations.

I am interested to see other regulars think.
I have to agree with Jamie on this. While you are in your mid-forties, it is usually harder to obtain PR, however, having said that, all my anecdotal evidence is base only on one gender. You are the only rose (with those type of credentials) among the thorns. As long as you are not in the financial industry or IT industry, I'd also say you have around a 50:50 chance as well (those are the two biggest industries for parachuting people in and out of Singapore). The other potential stumbling block possibly could be your girls. If you included them on your PR application, it will be a plus. I am thinking maybe you did as you mentioned in your last post that you wanted to buy property so you can continue to life here after your girl have grown up. If you didn't then they may see that as an indication that you don't plan on staying here and you are only ensuring that you are able to stay may leave if they go back to their home country.

Add to that, the numbers of available slots for PR is going do diminish drastically next year, I fear, due to the unemployment of locals, dying of businesses and so forth. There are only an estimated 500 (others) approved annually of all other races in good years. As Jamie said, 'No harm trying but....."

User avatar
jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 11:12 pm

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by jamie9vardy » Sat, 06 Jun 2020 7:19 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
ScotinSG wrote:
Sat, 06 Jun 2020 3:25 pm
Thank you very much SingaporeFlyer and Jamie9Vardy

I am employed rather than a business owner so that seems like it would lessen my chances.

Ironically one of the main drivers for wanting to get PR is to facilitate property purchase so I can stay here permanently even after the children finish school. But the government are unlikely to be able to ascertain that.
Why not a private property then? even if you get a PR you will have to wait for 3 years minimum, before you are eligible to buy a resale HDB
I don't think she is even considering HDB. The difference in ABSD between PR and foreigners is a good 15%, which is still a substantial sum notwithstanding the amount of money she's drawing.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gpk1122
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat, 06 Jun 2020 7:51 pm

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by gpk1122 » Sat, 06 Jun 2020 8:13 pm

Hi, I am new to this forum and was looking for some advices online too. And happened to see the people here are very helpful! Would appreciated if someone could help to get my profile evaluated. I am in the midst of waiting for the outcome of my PR application submitted in Dec 2019.

Age : 24
Race : Malaysian Chinese
Gender : Female
Marital Status : Single
Education : Diploma in nursing (Singapore’s Polytechinic under scholarship sponsored by MOH with 6 years of bond after graduated from diploma)
Also taken MOE tuition grant for the diploma course, and there are 3 years of obligation to work in Singapore
Job : Registered Nurse in restructured hospital
Length of stay in SG: 5 years (included 3 years of study)
Salary :40k
Pass : EP

Recently been offered a placement in National University of Singapore (NUS) for 3 years of part time degree study and in the midst of applying MOE tuition grant for the degree course.
Last edited by gpk1122 on Sat, 06 Jun 2020 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ScotinSG
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat, 06 Jun 2020 11:09 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by ScotinSG » Sat, 06 Jun 2020 8:14 pm

Thanks all, really useful input.

Sounds like it’s worth trying at least - and not much variation in risk of this year versus next years, as odds small either way.

I would be putting my girls on my application.

As regards the propert point, it is private I’ve been looking into - but the tax is a real killer when not PR.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Director
Director
Posts: 3173
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by singaporeflyer » Sat, 06 Jun 2020 8:26 pm

gpk1122 wrote:
Sat, 06 Jun 2020 8:13 pm
Hi, I am new to this forum and was looking for some advices online too. And happened to see the people here are very helpful! Would appreciated if someone could help to get my profile evaluated. I am in the midst of waiting for the outcome of my PR application submitted in Dec 2019.

Age : 24
Race : Malaysian Chinese
Gender : Female
Marital Status : Single
Education : Diploma in nursing (Singapore’s Polytechinic under scholarship sponsored by MOH with 6 years of bond after graduated from diploma)
Also taken MOE tuition grant for the diploma course, and there are 3 years of obligation to work in Singapore
Job : Registered Nurse in restructured hospital
Length of stay in SG: 5 years (included 3 years of study)
Salary :40k
Pass : EP

Recently been offered a placement in National University of Singapore (NUS) for 3 years of part time degree study and in the midst of applying MOE tuition grant for the degree course.
Please apply and you will get it

gpk1122
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat, 06 Jun 2020 7:51 pm

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by gpk1122 » Sat, 06 Jun 2020 8:36 pm

Thank you for your reply.
Will update again once the result is out.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Thet Naymin and 6 guests