Singapore Expats

PR approval chance in 2020

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Fajde

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by Fajde » Thu, 26 Aug 2021 11:15 am

Hi,

I'd love to get some inputs and ideas on PR application approval. Taking the template used on this forum:

My details are:
- Race: Caucasian
- Nationality: Australian
- Marital Status: Married
- Education: High school (Half way through an MBA right now - Australian Uni though)
- Industry: IT in Finance Industry
- Position: Manager
- Year basic salary 250k+
- EP Pass holder
- Live in Singapore: 10 years+
- Application history: rejected 4 times

Wife
Race: Chinese
Nationality: Chinese
Length of Stay: 13 years+
Education: Bachelor degree.
Salary: 20k annual
Pass: Work Pass (Was DP but needs WP to continue working which was recently approved but at time of application it was a DP)

Child
Born in Singapore
Pass: DP

I've applied 4 times (4th rejection I just received). I tried an agent (3rd attempt - didnt help). Got a local MP to support this last attempt (going to go back and ask for support again on appeal and request for feedback - which they told me they would do when I met them last time). I had a PEP (but expired after 3 years). In appeal letter going to highlight things that have changed which I couldn't really make clear in the forms: highlight our origins and the fact that settling in SG is perfect for us as a family, growing retirement fund here in SG, progressing the MBA, multiple promotions at same company over last 15 years, wife back to work in SG, wife's local certificates and post-grade study in SG early childhood education, daughter born and growing up in SG (basically a Singaporean - never lived anywhere else), my involvment in CSR.

What else can I do?!

korosensei
Regular
Regular

Post by korosensei » Thu, 26 Aug 2021 11:53 am

Hi, just want to ask if i got chance or zero chance at all.

race: filipino
length of stay: 7yrs
salary :50k annual
pass: SP
married to local..

thank you

JSM1998

Post by JSM1998 » Fri, 03 Sep 2021 11:27 am

Wanted to give everyone an update here, so I can help similar applicants.

I applied in Jan 2021 (after 6 full salary slips), got my approval on 23 August, in around 7 months :D

Super excited to complete the formalities!
singaporeflyer wrote:
Sat, 28 Nov 2020 8:56 pm
JSM1998 wrote:
Fri, 27 Nov 2020 2:57 pm
Hey guys,

Seen some very helpful posts here! Just wanted to check with the experts about my chances of getting a PR and how I can improve the odds. Here's my profile:

Race: Indian
Education: Bachelors Degree in Engineering from NUS [With a MOE Tuition Grant of 70%]
Time in Singapore: 4.5 years ++ [Came here for Uni when I was 18, been working for 6 months now]

Salary: Base ~$50K + bonus
Industry: Biotech/Scientific Equipment R&D (in an MNC)

I'm currently serving a 3 year work bond in Singapore as a part of my scholarship. I've worked for 6 months and plan to apply for a PR sometime mid-next year, after my tax assessment. Don't know how much it helps but I speak professionally fluent Chinese, enough for me to liaise with suppliers and order lunch at a hawker center :)

I know it used to be simple for local Uni grads to get a PR here before 2010, but not very sure now. Is there any local Uni grad who's had their PR approved recently?
Try after atleast 3 years of working in Singapore

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sat, 04 Sep 2021 1:21 am

Fajde wrote:
Thu, 26 Aug 2021 11:15 am
Hi,

I'd love to get some inputs and ideas on PR application approval. Taking the template used on this forum:

My details are:
- Race: Caucasian
- Nationality: Australian
- Marital Status: Married
- Education: High school (Half way through an MBA right now - Australian Uni though)
- Industry: IT in Finance Industry
- Position: Manager
- Year basic salary 250k+
- EP Pass holder
- Live in Singapore: 10 years+
- Application history: rejected 4 times

Wife
Race: Chinese
Nationality: Chinese
Length of Stay: 13 years+
Education: Bachelor degree.
Salary: 20k annual
Pass: Work Pass (Was DP but needs WP to continue working which was recently approved but at time of application it was a DP)

Child
Born in Singapore
Pass: DP

I've applied 4 times (4th rejection I just received). I tried an agent (3rd attempt - didnt help). Got a local MP to support this last attempt (going to go back and ask for support again on appeal and request for feedback - which they told me they would do when I met them last time). I had a PEP (but expired after 3 years). In appeal letter going to highlight things that have changed which I couldn't really make clear in the forms: highlight our origins and the fact that settling in SG is perfect for us as a family, growing retirement fund here in SG, progressing the MBA, multiple promotions at same company over last 15 years, wife back to work in SG, wife's local certificates and post-grade study in SG early childhood education, daughter born and growing up in SG (basically a Singaporean - never lived anywhere else), my involvment in CSR.

What else can I do?!
Your situation is definitely unique. You are probably one of the highest paid high school diploma holders in your industry here. The idea that your 4 year old daughter is already a local just because she was born and raised as a toddler here won’t hold much water.

How is it you are studying an MBA course without first earnings a bachelor degree? Being here as long as you have, you know that paper qualifications are quite meaningful, and must be from a recognized/accredited institution.

Your wife has a degree, and being here as long as you have, you would also know that economic contributions also matter. This is why work permit holders aren’t even allowed to marry someone here unless they get permission.

Two things might improve your prospects:

1. Finish your degree.
2. Have your wife seek better employment, appropriate for whatever degree she holds

The fact that you and your daughter presumably have the right of abode in Australia (a country that is generally known to have strong appeal for a family such as yours) could also play into the decision, based on the perceived likelihood of you actually settling down there versus here in the long term - despite whatever you might try to say in your appeal. This is especially true if you and your wife have no other family ties here. And, to be perfectly honest, there are many here who would jump at the chance to do just that.

My former boss here was a China Chinese, but SPR. A few years ago her and her family moved and settled in Australia. They can afford a private landed house in the suburbs, the kids get free education… and her kids actually enjoy school rather than dread it. It took her a while to get a similar high paying job, but she eventually did and she has no regrets.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sat, 04 Sep 2021 1:25 am

korosensei wrote:
Thu, 26 Aug 2021 11:53 am
Hi, just want to ask if i got chance or zero chance at all.

race: filipino
length of stay: 7yrs
salary :50k annual
pass: SP
married to local..

thank you
Is your husband SPR or SC? What race? How long have you been married?
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

korosensei
Regular
Regular

Post by korosensei » Sat, 04 Sep 2021 5:05 pm

he is malaysian SPR. just got married and trying to have a kid. i want to apply not under my husband's sponsorship. i want to apply on my own. i wonder if got chance if i do like that. im thinking if no chance maybe i will just stay here as long as i have work then. thank you.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sat, 04 Sep 2021 5:41 pm

korosensei wrote:
Sat, 04 Sep 2021 5:05 pm
he is malaysian SPR. just got married and trying to have a kid. i want to apply not under my husband's sponsorship. i want to apply on my own. i wonder if got chance if i do like that. im thinking if no chance maybe i will just stay here as long as i have work then. thank you.
I guess the best thing to do is to wait for 2 years after marriage and ask your husband to sponsor you.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sat, 04 Sep 2021 7:44 pm

korosensei wrote:
Sat, 04 Sep 2021 5:05 pm
Why does it matter if you apply based on family ties or on your own? PR is still PR. Once you have it, it is yours for life. Only the reentry permit (REP) needs to be renewed, and even on the off chance that they reject your REP renewal, your PR is still valid — just don’t leave Singapore until you resolve whatever issues that caused the REP to be rejected, until that happens, you can stay in Singapore indefinitely.

sp786
Regular
Regular
Answers: 1

Post by sp786 » Sun, 05 Sep 2021 12:29 am

Local MP still gives letters to support application? On what basis ? On donations given to the party the MP belongs to or based on involvement in "Grassroots" CSR?

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 05 Sep 2021 1:05 am

sp786 wrote:
Sun, 05 Sep 2021 12:29 am
Local MP still gives letters to support application? On what basis ? On donations given to the party the MP belongs to or based on involvement in "Grassroots" CSR?
Unwanted comment. There is no concept of taking such donations here in SG.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sun, 05 Sep 2021 12:22 pm

sp786 wrote:
Yes they do. I had done so on one occasion. On the basis that my wife is a Singapore citizen and had appealed. What underlying motives they have are not really understood. Not by me at least.

Also note that my case was not successful - I've read here that there are no known successful cases. It took me a job change to a local company and more pay before they approved in my next attempt.

sp786
Regular
Regular

Post by sp786 » Sun, 05 Sep 2021 12:35 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Sun, 05 Sep 2021 1:05 am
sp786 wrote:
Thanks for responding to an unwanted comment about an unwanted concept without answering the question unwantedly. There is an act to regulate this so donations can and are being made:

https://www.asiaone.com/lifestyle/here- ... gns-during
Last edited by sp786 on Sun, 05 Sep 2021 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sp786
Regular
Regular

Post by sp786 » Sun, 05 Sep 2021 12:36 pm

smoulder wrote:
Sun, 05 Sep 2021 12:22 pm
sp786 wrote:
Yes they do. I had done so on one occasion. On the basis that my wife is a Singapore citizen and had appealed. What underlying motives they have are not really understood. Not by me at least.

Also note that my case was not successful - I've read here that there are no known successful cases. It took me a job change to a local company and more pay before they approved in my next attempt.
Thanks so the letter is given when the applicant is sponsored as spouse of relative of a local. Understood!

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sun, 05 Sep 2021 12:48 pm

sp786 wrote:
Sun, 05 Sep 2021 12:36 pm
smoulder wrote:
Sun, 05 Sep 2021 12:22 pm
sp786 wrote:

Thanks so the letter is given when the applicant is sponsored as spouse of relative of a local. Understood!
Well not necessarily because my wife sponsored me but probably because she is a Singapore citizen. Honestly, I can't remember if she sponsored that particular application. She didn't sponsor when I was successful - reason was that she was on a break from work so we decided that I'd apply on my own although I believe that family ties would have still been a factor while approving.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 05 Sep 2021 7:07 pm

sp786 wrote:
Sun, 05 Sep 2021 12:35 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:
Sun, 05 Sep 2021 1:05 am
sp786 wrote:
Thanks for responding to an unwanted comment about an unwanted concept without answering the question unwantedly. There is an act to regulate this so donations can and are being made:

https://www.asiaone.com/lifestyle/here- ... gns-during
I am well aware of this, what I was trying to say is no one in SG will take a donation for giving out a supporting letter. It does not work that way in Singapore.