Singapore Expats Forum
 

PR approval chance in 2020

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
TropicalExpat
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu, 28 May 2020 5:02 pm
Answers: 1

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by TropicalExpat » Fri, 27 Nov 2020 2:00 pm

singdream21 wrote:
Thu, 26 Nov 2020 11:54 pm
Hello,

I came across this forum. It's very helpful. Thank you to the people who are answering here. I am thinking of applying for PR. My details are as follows -

Male, 44 yrs
In Singapore since 1.3 years with same company
Occupation: Senior level management, managing Asia Pacific marketing and innovation. Also managing an innovation centre
Industry: Manufacturing (chemicals / materials)
Total experience: 21 years (5 yrs in USA, 15 yrs in India with several short stints in Germany, last 1+ yr in Singapore)
Education: Bachelor's in Engineering and MBA both from University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA (Considered Top Tier university globally)
Compensation: Basic: SGD 275+k
Ethnicity: Indian
Wife: Housewife, 42 yrs, Bachelor of Science from India
Kids: 2 boys, 13 and 8 yr old

Will appreciate to get input on chances for PR at this stage

Thank you and Warm Regards.
I would say very low chances.
Your ethnicity is against you. There are a lot of your cohort applying.
Your length in Singapore is very short - not even 2 years (experience in other countries is only relevant if you are in a high demand field as promoted by the government - FinTech/BioTech etc)
Your age is against you - anecdotal evidence is that people above the age of 40 will have dramatically lower chances. By the time your result is issued you will likely be be in your late 40s.
Your wife is not working, so is not contributing to the Singapore economy.

Are your kids in local (gov) school or private school?

This is just an assessment from what you've given here. I would say that you are earning good sum of money, so just apply (application fee is around $120 so it's not a lot). Just don't be surprised if you are rejected.

TropicalExpat
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu, 28 May 2020 5:02 pm
Answers: 1

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by TropicalExpat » Fri, 27 Nov 2020 2:04 pm

lc.taiesther wrote:
Fri, 27 Nov 2020 12:50 am
Hi, I am going to submit my pr application by this month. Appreciate if anyone can give me some tips and also rate my success for pr approval.

Applicant:
35 years old, Malaysian Chinese, Masters degree in accountancy from USA University, been working about 5+ years as Senior Business Development Manager, basic 6000 but total salary will be about 200k per year with commission and bonus.

My husband is from Belgium, currently under dependent pass, and he has his own business at Belgium but he is also employed as business consultant from one company in Singapore, salary is 1700 per month for advisory work. I don't include him (or I should?) because he will mostly fly in and out for his business matters.

We recently have a baby boy, only 6 months old,born in Malaysia. Am not including him in the application (or I should?) because he is staying with my family at Johor.

I am thinking if I apply myself only will have higher chance... Hope there is some advice for me.. Many thanks

I did apply once together with my spouse in 2017 (where we only worked less than 2 years) and got rejected.
I will ignore everything else other than this one thing : "We recently have a baby boy, only 6 months old,born in Malaysia. Am not including him in the application (or I should?) because he is staying with my family at Johor."

If the government knows you have a son, and you aren't putting him on the form, then they will almost certainly reject you.

lc.taiesther
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 12:41 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by lc.taiesther » Fri, 27 Nov 2020 2:28 pm

Thanks for your advise. So should I include me and my son only? Or together with my husband?

My husband is not always physically reside in Singapore and come to the point the salary he receives in Singapore is consider low which is 1700 per month. Or I should support his document where he has a company in Belgium?

JSM1998
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 2:39 pm

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by JSM1998 » Fri, 27 Nov 2020 2:57 pm

Hey guys,

Seen some very helpful posts here! Just wanted to check with the experts about my chances of getting a PR and how I can improve the odds. Here's my profile:

Race: Indian
Age: 22
Education: Bachelors Degree in Engineering from NUS [With a MOE Tuition Grant of 70%]
Time in Singapore: 4.5 years ++ [Came here for Uni when I was 18, been working for 6 months now]

Occupation: Product Design Engineer (R&D)
Salary: Base ~$50K + bonus
Industry: Biotech/Scientific Equipment R&D (in an MNC)

I'm currently serving a 3 year work bond in Singapore as a part of my scholarship. I've worked for 6 months and plan to apply for a PR sometime mid-next year, after my tax assessment. Don't know how much it helps but I speak professionally fluent Chinese, enough for me to liaise with suppliers and order lunch at a hawker center :)

I know it used to be simple for local Uni grads to get a PR here before 2010, but not very sure now. Is there any local Uni grad who's had their PR approved recently?

lc.taiesther
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 12:41 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by lc.taiesther » Fri, 27 Nov 2020 8:29 pm

TropicalExpat wrote:
Fri, 27 Nov 2020 2:04 pm
lc.taiesther wrote:
Fri, 27 Nov 2020 12:50 am
Hi, I am going to submit my pr application by this month. Appreciate if anyone can give me some tips and also rate my success for pr approval.

Applicant:
35 years old, Malaysian Chinese, Masters degree in accountancy from USA University, been working about 5+ years as Senior Business Development Manager, basic 6000 but total salary will be about 200k per year with commission and bonus.

My husband is from Belgium, currently under dependent pass, and he has his own business at Belgium but he is also employed as business consultant from one company in Singapore, salary is 1700 per month for advisory work. I don't include him (or I should?) because he will mostly fly in and out for his business matters.

We recently have a baby boy, only 6 months old,born in Malaysia. Am not including him in the application (or I should?) because he is staying with my family at Johor.

I am thinking if I apply myself only will have higher chance... Hope there is some advice for me.. Many thanks

I did apply once together with my spouse in 2017 (where we only worked less than 2 years) and got rejected.
I will ignore everything else other than this one thing : "We recently have a baby boy, only 6 months old,born in Malaysia. Am not including him in the application (or I should?) because he is staying with my family at Johor."

If the government knows you have a son, and you aren't putting him on the form, then they will almost certainly reject you.
Shall I then apply together me and my son? Or even include my husband together? I found a problem that I could not apply passport for my 6 mos old because of movement control in Malaysia and immigration is closed until end of December. Can I submit my son my kid card and state that passport could not be obtained due to MCO?

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Director
Director
Posts: 3107
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by singaporeflyer » Sat, 28 Nov 2020 8:56 pm

JSM1998 wrote:
Fri, 27 Nov 2020 2:57 pm
Hey guys,

Seen some very helpful posts here! Just wanted to check with the experts about my chances of getting a PR and how I can improve the odds. Here's my profile:

Race: Indian
Age: 22
Education: Bachelors Degree in Engineering from NUS [With a MOE Tuition Grant of 70%]
Time in Singapore: 4.5 years ++ [Came here for Uni when I was 18, been working for 6 months now]

Occupation: Product Design Engineer (R&D)
Salary: Base ~$50K + bonus
Industry: Biotech/Scientific Equipment R&D (in an MNC)

I'm currently serving a 3 year work bond in Singapore as a part of my scholarship. I've worked for 6 months and plan to apply for a PR sometime mid-next year, after my tax assessment. Don't know how much it helps but I speak professionally fluent Chinese, enough for me to liaise with suppliers and order lunch at a hawker center :)

I know it used to be simple for local Uni grads to get a PR here before 2010, but not very sure now. Is there any local Uni grad who's had their PR approved recently?
Try after atleast 3 years of working in Singapore

TropicalExpat
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu, 28 May 2020 5:02 pm
Answers: 1

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by TropicalExpat » Sun, 29 Nov 2020 9:41 am

lc.taiesther wrote:
Fri, 27 Nov 2020 8:29 pm
TropicalExpat wrote:
Fri, 27 Nov 2020 2:04 pm
lc.taiesther wrote:
Fri, 27 Nov 2020 12:50 am
Hi, I am going to submit my pr application by this month. Appreciate if anyone can give me some tips and also rate my success for pr approval.

Applicant:
35 years old, Malaysian Chinese, Masters degree in accountancy from USA University, been working about 5+ years as Senior Business Development Manager, basic 6000 but total salary will be about 200k per year with commission and bonus.

My husband is from Belgium, currently under dependent pass, and he has his own business at Belgium but he is also employed as business consultant from one company in Singapore, salary is 1700 per month for advisory work. I don't include him (or I should?) because he will mostly fly in and out for his business matters.

We recently have a baby boy, only 6 months old,born in Malaysia. Am not including him in the application (or I should?) because he is staying with my family at Johor.

I am thinking if I apply myself only will have higher chance... Hope there is some advice for me.. Many thanks

I did apply once together with my spouse in 2017 (where we only worked less than 2 years) and got rejected.
I will ignore everything else other than this one thing : "We recently have a baby boy, only 6 months old,born in Malaysia. Am not including him in the application (or I should?) because he is staying with my family at Johor."

If the government knows you have a son, and you aren't putting him on the form, then they will almost certainly reject you.
Shall I then apply together me and my son? Or even include my husband together? I found a problem that I could not apply passport for my 6 mos old because of movement control in Malaysia and immigration is closed until end of December. Can I submit my son my kid card and state that passport could not be obtained due to MCO?
Whatever you do, you have to include your son. If you do not, and at some point in the future he tries to come to work in Singapore, he will almost certainly be rejected.
I think you should apply as a family unit.

lc.taiesther
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 12:41 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by lc.taiesther » Tue, 01 Dec 2020 8:28 pm

Hi, finally I applied together with my son.

Son: 5 months old, born in Malaysia,

Me:
35 years old, female, Malaysian Chinese, worked in Singapore for less than 6 years, EP holder, annual income around 220k++, graduated from USA University for both bachelor and master in accountancy, certified CPA (inactive), work as Senior business development manager for international market, basic 6000 plus commission and bonus so roughly a month at least 17k.

Due to my work nature that needs to travel frequently for developing oversea markets , from the past 5 years I only stayed in Singapore for about 30 to 60 days.. This is especially less because I am stranded in Malaysia but I am still able to work remotely. Will the physical days in Malaysia affect my application provided that I have high educational background, good income, apply with son together?

Please advise. Many thanks 🙏

whitesneakers
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 10:46 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by whitesneakers » Wed, 02 Dec 2020 12:48 am

Got our rejection letter today. :(
Well, also as expected. Im a Filipino with a Swiss spouse. Both spass holders. I guess time to say bye to sg now..

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Director
Director
Posts: 3107
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 02 Dec 2020 1:29 pm

whitesneakers wrote:
Wed, 02 Dec 2020 12:48 am
Got our rejection letter today. :(
Well, also as expected. Im a Filipino with a Swiss spouse. Both spass holders. I guess time to say bye to sg now..
Sorry to hear. But S Pass to PR is going to be very very tough, especially when EP -> PR itself is tough NOW

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Director
Director
Posts: 3107
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 02 Dec 2020 1:30 pm

lc.taiesther wrote:
Tue, 01 Dec 2020 8:28 pm
Hi, finally I applied together with my son.

Son: 5 months old, born in Malaysia,

Me:
35 years old, female, Malaysian Chinese, worked in Singapore for less than 6 years, EP holder, annual income around 220k++, graduated from USA University for both bachelor and master in accountancy, certified CPA (inactive), work as Senior business development manager for international market, basic 6000 plus commission and bonus so roughly a month at least 17k.

Due to my work nature that needs to travel frequently for developing oversea markets , from the past 5 years I only stayed in Singapore for about 30 to 60 days.. This is especially less because I am stranded in Malaysia but I am still able to work remotely. Will the physical days in Malaysia affect my application provided that I have high educational background, good income, apply with son together?

Please advise. Many thanks 🙏
If only 30 to 60 days in SG for the last 5 years, your chance for PR is going to be low

maveer
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed, 02 Dec 2020 5:52 pm

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by maveer » Wed, 02 Dec 2020 6:01 pm

Hello, please help to assess my chances. below are my details.

Race: indian
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Qualification: Master Degree from Australian University.
Work: IT professional working in MNC bank
Length of Stay in SG: 10yrs.
Been working in the current company for 2.5yrs.
Pass: EPass
Salary: 125k
Marital Status: Married. 2 kids. 2nd baby born in SG.
Spouse: house wife.

TropicalExpat
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu, 28 May 2020 5:02 pm
Answers: 1

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by TropicalExpat » Wed, 02 Dec 2020 8:25 pm

maveer wrote:
Wed, 02 Dec 2020 6:01 pm
Hello, please help to assess my chances. below are my details.

Race: indian
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Qualification: Master Degree from Australian University.
Work: IT professional working in MNC bank
Length of Stay in SG: 10yrs.
Been working in the current company for 2.5yrs.
Pass: EPass
Salary: 125k
Marital Status: Married. 2 kids. 2nd baby born in SG.
Spouse: house wife.
I would think low chance.
If you view from the perspective of your ethnicity, you are competing against everyone else from India in Singapore who wants PR.
Your salary is comparatively low, as you would also be competing against bankers and tech bros.
Also if you wife is not earning a salary she is a financial drag on the country.

I would say, if you apply now you probably have 2 more opportunities to apply. Once you get beyond 40, your already low chances will drop even further.
While I say your salary is relatively low, there is no harm in you applying. The fee is around $120. Just be ready for a rejection.

lc.taiesther
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 12:41 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by lc.taiesther » Wed, 02 Dec 2020 9:48 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Wed, 02 Dec 2020 1:30 pm
lc.taiesther wrote:
Tue, 01 Dec 2020 8:28 pm
Hi, finally I applied together with my son.

Son: 5 months old, born in Malaysia,

Me:
35 years old, female, Malaysian Chinese, worked in Singapore for less than 6 years, EP holder, annual income around 220k++, graduated from USA University for both bachelor and master in accountancy, certified CPA (inactive), work as Senior business development manager for international market, basic 6000 plus commission and bonus so roughly a month at least 17k.

Due to my work nature that needs to travel frequently for developing oversea markets , from the past 5 years I only stayed in Singapore for about 30 to 60 days.. This is especially less because I am stranded in Malaysia but I am still able to work remotely. Will the physical days in Malaysia affect my application provided that I have high educational background, good income, apply with son together?

Please advise. Many thanks 🙏
If only 30 to 60 days in SG for the last 5 years, your chance for PR is going to be low
I mean it's about 30 to 60 days a year... Not total days for the last 5 years.. Please advise thanks.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Director
Director
Posts: 3107
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 02 Dec 2020 9:50 pm

TropicalExpat wrote:
Wed, 02 Dec 2020 8:25 pm
maveer wrote:
Wed, 02 Dec 2020 6:01 pm
Hello, please help to assess my chances. below are my details.

Race: indian
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Qualification: Master Degree from Australian University.
Work: IT professional working in MNC bank
Length of Stay in SG: 10yrs.
Been working in the current company for 2.5yrs.
Pass: EPass
Salary: 125k
Marital Status: Married. 2 kids. 2nd baby born in SG.
Spouse: house wife.
I would think low chance.
If you view from the perspective of your ethnicity, you are competing against everyone else from India in Singapore who wants PR.
Your salary is comparatively low, as you would also be competing against bankers and tech bros.
Also if you wife is not earning a salary she is a financial drag on the country.

I would say, if you apply now you probably have 2 more opportunities to apply. Once you get beyond 40, your already low chances will drop even further.
While I say your salary is relatively low, there is no harm in you applying. The fee is around $120. Just be ready for a rejection.
First time i am hearing 125K salary is comparitively LOW. who are you comparing against? 125K is decent and more than average salary in my view. He is in IT and not a BANKER.

Second - Application fee is 100 SGD and not 120 SGD

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests