Singapore Expats Forum
 

PR approval chance in 2020

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Geetragav
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat, 27 Jun 2020 10:49 pm

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by Geetragav » Sat, 27 Jun 2020 11:42 pm

Dear all,
Hoping for response regarding PR chances ,

My husband is a single pr ( almost 14 years in Singapore )
Industry - engineering services , local company , working in the same company since coming to Singapore. Very stable job scenario and opportunities to venture into freelancing.
Annual pay - 120k-130k
Cpf - OA(160k), SA(50k) Medisave (around 52K, now overflowing to SA)
Education - bachelors from India, local industry related certificates from Singapore.

Spouse ( myself)
Masters degree ( local uni) , worked prior as network analyst but now SAHM , kid in local school(P1). Got ploc last year, but didn’t attempt for job.

Got ample documents to prove financial stability via stocks and government bonds.

1st time( 2012) - after getting married applied and got rejected. He was approved PR only a year back ( think 2010-2011) , his cpf statement didn’t reflect nice numbers.

2nd time(2014) - reason stated economically not sound. Household income was around 110-120k.

3rd :applied in 2016 and rejected after nine months. While the application was in progress, I quit job due medical reasons. Husband salary increased after promotion. However became single breadwinner status and income averaged at 100k.

4th time: Applied last year( after two years wait).

Changes since last time- husband salary increased along with few promotions, cpf as well. Son started primary school. Expected further increase this year, but then again things has changed.

Familial ties: his sister family- Singapore-spr household. We didn’t add it so far in our application because of disputes within family.

Husband applied for singaporean in last quarter of 2019( after pr application).

1. Should I start working —> this is the most pressing issue for me, I had few health issues before( not contiguous nor lifelong implications) , parental or sibling support was very limited, maid didn’t workout as expected , so had to call it quits. Since the kiddo is in P1, thought of starting to work, but due to covid don’t think it will easy to find a job.

2. Should we include the sister’s family in the application to highlight familial ties ?

3. His job role is not that very ludicrous in upstream countries. Once we get the change in citizenship it is forever( god willing, including me).

We were advised by a acquaintance that I must start working and go for resale properties and then apply for pr/citizen. We are kind of okay with the suggestion, but due to the nature of job the person holds, we are still considering it.

Let me know, if I need to change my position from SAHM to FTWM.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2614
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 28 Jun 2020 12:21 am

Geetragav wrote:
Sat, 27 Jun 2020 11:42 pm
Dear all,
Hoping for response regarding PR chances ,

My husband is a single pr ( almost 14 years in Singapore )
Industry - engineering services , local company , working in the same company since coming to Singapore. Very stable job scenario and opportunities to venture into freelancing.
Annual pay - 120k-130k
Cpf - OA(160k), SA(50k) Medisave (around 52K, now overflowing to SA)
Education - bachelors from India, local industry related certificates from Singapore.

Spouse ( myself)
Masters degree ( local uni) , worked prior as network analyst but now SAHM , kid in local school(P1). Got ploc last year, but didn’t attempt for job.

Got ample documents to prove financial stability via stocks and government bonds.

1st time( 2012) - after getting married applied and got rejected. He was approved PR only a year back ( think 2010-2011) , his cpf statement didn’t reflect nice numbers.

2nd time(2014) - reason stated economically not sound. Household income was around 110-120k.

3rd :applied in 2016 and rejected after nine months. While the application was in progress, I quit job due medical reasons. Husband salary increased after promotion. However became single breadwinner status and income averaged at 100k.

4th time: Applied last year( after two years wait).

Changes since last time- husband salary increased along with few promotions, cpf as well. Son started primary school. Expected further increase this year, but then again things has changed.

Familial ties: his sister family- Singapore-spr household. We didn’t add it so far in our application because of disputes within family.

Husband applied for singaporean in last quarter of 2019( after pr application).

1. Should I start working —> this is the most pressing issue for me, I had few health issues before( not contiguous nor lifelong implications) , parental or sibling support was very limited, maid didn’t workout as expected , so had to call it quits. Since the kiddo is in P1, thought of starting to work, but due to covid don’t think it will easy to find a job.

2. Should we include the sister’s family in the application to highlight familial ties ?

3. His job role is not that very ludicrous in upstream countries. Once we get the change in citizenship it is forever( god willing, including me).

We were advised by a acquaintance that I must start working and go for resale properties and then apply for pr/citizen. We are kind of okay with the suggestion, but due to the nature of job the person holds, we are still considering it.

Let me know, if I need to change my position from SAHM to FTWM.
1. what are both your ages? What does your spouse work as exactly - Designation and Duty?
2. Got ample documents to prove financial stability via stocks and government bonds. -- Not counted at all. You can redeem them and take it anytime. So, how can this be treated as ample ?
3. Sister PR - does not help at all. What helps is like a PR/SC sponsoring his dependent. Brother/sister/relatives being SC or PR - does not help
4. How can you buy resale HDB with 1 PR? Only private properties may be bought
5. Dont join to work, just to get your PR
6. CPF statement does not reflect nice numbers - that is your assumption. ICA knows that for the first 2 years the CPF of a PR is gradually increased. ICA will just look there has been regular contribution to CPF (which means continuous employment). They dont look at the numbers the stability.

I feel the negatives are
1. Age
2 Ethnicity
3 Salary slighter on the lower side

Geetragav
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat, 27 Jun 2020 10:49 pm

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by Geetragav » Sun, 28 Jun 2020 5:44 pm

Thanks for pointing out,
Ethnicity - I do agree, it’s the major drawback.


Age- 38 and 35.
Designation - construction manager. Oil and gas industry. Undertakes projects.
Salary- trying to negotiate to get an increase of 1k-1.2k.
Not hdb, but lower end resale condos.

mozarella99
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 2:53 pm

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by mozarella99 » Mon, 29 Jun 2020 3:23 pm

After being a silent lurker for ages. Here are my details. Would be interesting to hear your thoughts on what our chances are.

Age: 30
Occupation: Manager - Government Affairs and Communications for an MNC
Education: Masters Degree from NUS
Race: Indian
Been in Singapore since 2014
Annual salary: 120k + Bonuses
Family: Married 2 years ago (Wife on a DP and we have a son who was born here last year)

Applied once before in 2016 - rejected but the letter mentioned I could apply again in couple of years and that I could continue working on a valid pass.

Waited, changed jobs, got married, had a kid and applied last week together as a family. The timing isn't ideal with the COVID19 outbreak and this being an election year - but we decided to soldier on and put in an application.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2614
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 29 Jun 2020 4:57 pm

mozarella99 wrote:
Mon, 29 Jun 2020 3:23 pm
After being a silent lurker for ages. Here are my details. Would be interesting to hear your thoughts on what our chances are.

Age: 30
Occupation: Manager - Government Affairs and Communications for an MNC
Education: Masters Degree from NUS
Race: Indian
Been in Singapore since 2014
Annual salary: 120k + Bonuses
Family: Married 2 years ago (Wife on a DP and we have a son who was born here last year)

Applied once before in 2016 - rejected but the letter mentioned I could apply again in couple of years and that I could continue working on a valid pass.

Waited, changed jobs, got married, had a kid and applied last week together as a family. The timing isn't ideal with the COVID19 outbreak and this being an election year - but we decided to soldier on and put in an application.
Try and see. You may have around 40-50% chance. You are in Singapore since 2014, but since when are you working in SG?
Last edited by singaporeflyer on Mon, 29 Jun 2020 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 7063
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 29 Jun 2020 5:01 pm

IF you're in a job that could go to a local in the employment crisis then you chance is zero.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

mozarella99
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 2:53 pm

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by mozarella99 » Mon, 29 Jun 2020 6:09 pm

Thanks guys. Life has been quite hectic and I didn't put in a cover letter and don't have any volunteering expertise. Would that be a deal breaker?

Oh and I've been working since the end of 2015.

As far as the role is concerned it's quite a niche position. There are maybe a couple of folks like me driving the policy outreach, government affairs and stakeholder relationships for similarly sized MNC's.

Although, it seems like these days these days the tech sector folks like Facebook, Google and Amazon have catapulted similar roles into the limelight because of the amount of negotiating and brokering policy managers have to do with governments in order to advance business interests.

richard.v
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 12:15 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by richard.v » Tue, 30 Jun 2020 12:21 am

Hi guys, could you please help to assess my profile?

Age : 28
Race : Vietnamese
Gender : Male
Marital Status : Single
Religion : n/a
Education : Bachelor of Engineering from local public uni
Represented SG to win 1st prize in one IEEE robotics intl competition during uni time.
Current Field of Work : Cybersecurity in a renowned MNC
Work Exp: 3 years
Length of stay : 6+ Years
No of tax return : 3
Salary : Basic 100k + Allowance/Bonus 20k+
Pass : EP
Applied Previously: Applied Jan 2019 - Rejected June 2019.
Changed job in Sep 2019 - 100% salary rise.

Thank you so much.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37122
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 30 Jun 2020 2:40 am

Possible, but will be difficult as it's always been hard for VN citizens to get PR here due to assimilation problems. You are in the same boat as Pinoys as you all are competing in the "Others" category. Persistence it what you are going to need a lot of. Having said that, the new job/increment and field of technology is strongly in your favour but unsure if it will be enough to overcome their bias.

31320
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 7:42 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by 31320 » Tue, 30 Jun 2020 7:52 am

Hi all,
I would like to apply for PR straight after I got my 6th pay slip this July.
Would like to do a quick check before I apply.

Age : 26
Race : Chinese
Gender : Male
Marital Status : Single
Religion : Buddhist
Education : Bachelor of Engineering
Current Field of Work : Engineer
Work Exp: 5 months+
Length of stay : on and off 4 years + (Poly around 4 years, back to SG this Feb again after completing my overseas degree)
No of tax return : 0
Salary : Basic 40k+
Pass : EP

I came to Singapore to study Poly under a scholarship by EDB and did my bachelor degree in EU also under another scholarship by EDB. Does this counts as an advantage?
Thank you in advance!

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2614
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 30 Jun 2020 9:30 am

31320 wrote:
Tue, 30 Jun 2020 7:52 am
Hi all,
I would like to apply for PR straight after I got my 6th pay slip this July.
Would like to do a quick check before I apply.

Age : 26
Race : Chinese
Gender : Male
Marital Status : Single
Religion : Buddhist
Education : Bachelor of Engineering
Current Field of Work : Engineer
Work Exp: 5 months+
Length of stay : on and off 4 years + (Poly around 4 years, back to SG this Feb again after completing my overseas degree)
No of tax return : 0
Salary : Basic 40k+
Pass : EP

I came to Singapore to study Poly under a scholarship by EDB and did my bachelor degree in EU also under another scholarship by EDB. Does this counts as an advantage?
Thank you in advance!
Where are you from?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37122
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 30 Jun 2020 11:54 am

I'd say zero until you have worked for at least 2 years in Singapore.

31320
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 7:42 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by 31320 » Tue, 30 Jun 2020 1:31 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Tue, 30 Jun 2020 9:30 am
31320 wrote:
Tue, 30 Jun 2020 7:52 am
Hi all,
I would like to apply for PR straight after I got my 6th pay slip this July.
Would like to do a quick check before I apply.

Age : 26
Race : Chinese
Gender : Male
Marital Status : Single
Religion : Buddhist
Education : Bachelor of Engineering
Current Field of Work : Engineer
Work Exp: 5 months+
Length of stay : on and off 4 years + (Poly around 4 years, back to SG this Feb again after completing my overseas degree)
No of tax return : 0
Salary : Basic 40k+
Pass : EP

I came to Singapore to study Poly under a scholarship by EDB and did my bachelor degree in EU also under another scholarship by EDB. Does this counts as an advantage?
Thank you in advance!
Where are you from?
I am from Malaysia

31320
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 7:42 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by 31320 » Tue, 30 Jun 2020 1:33 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 30 Jun 2020 11:54 am
I'd say zero until you have worked for at least 2 years in Singapore.
I will be, because I have a 3 years bond with EDB and also a 2 years bond with MOE from the scholarships I received. The bond states that I must work here in a SG-based company for the mentioned period right after my studies.
So it is not wise to apply so early you think?
Last edited by 31320 on Tue, 30 Jun 2020 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

richard.v
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 12:15 am

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by richard.v » Tue, 30 Jun 2020 1:44 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 30 Jun 2020 2:40 am
Possible, but will be difficult as it's always been hard for VN citizens to get PR here due to assimilation problems. You are in the same boat as Pinoys as you all are competing in the "Others" category. Persistence it what you are going to need a lot of. Having said that, the new job/increment and field of technology is strongly in your favour but unsure if it will be enough to overcome their bias.
Thank you so much.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests