Singapore Expats

What are my chances? 26/M Malaysian/Chinese

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
thesingboyboy

What are my chances? 26/M Malaysian/Chinese

Post by thesingboyboy » Tue, 04 Feb 2020 1:33 pm

Long story short, I came to Singapore to work as a cook in a Japanese restaurant back in 2013 and left in 2014. I came back to work in 2019 Jan and am still working here till to date. In January I was working as a salesman and was holding work permit. Not until Nov 2019, I got a new job as a Social Media Executive and am currently holding S-Pass. Today I have received a letter from IRAS saying that I do not have to file for tax for year 2019.

1. What are my chances of getting approved for my pr application?

2. Does paid income tax really play a big part in contributing to the chances of my PR application getting approved?

3. Why did IRAS send me a letter saying that I do not have to file for tax for year 2019? Does that mean my salary is too low for me to file?

Salary: 2.3k (still on probation)
Race: Chinese
Nationality: Malaysian
Religion: Buddhist

What would be your advice? When should I apply?
Thank you!

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Re: What are my chances? 26/M Malaysian/Chinese

Post by therat » Tue, 04 Feb 2020 5:56 pm

1. Now apply. 0%
3. Yes

You only work in Singapore for 1 year, try after 2 yrs.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 04 Feb 2020 6:44 pm

thesingboyboy wrote:
Tue, 04 Feb 2020 1:33 pm
Long story short, I came to Singapore to work as a cook in a Japanese restaurant back in 2013 and left in 2014. I came back to work in 2019 Jan and am still working here till to date. In January I was working as a salesman and was holding work permit. Not until Nov 2019, I got a new job as a Social Media Executive and am currently holding S-Pass. Today I have received a letter from IRAS saying that I do not have to file for tax for year 2019.

1. What are my chances of getting approved for my pr application?

2. Does paid income tax really play a big part in contributing to the chances of my PR application getting approved?

3. Why did IRAS send me a letter saying that I do not have to file for tax for year 2019? Does that mean my salary is too low for me to file?

Salary: 2.3k (still on probation)
Race: Chinese
Nationality: Malaysian
Religion: Buddhist

What would be your advice? When should I apply?
Thank you!
- Sometimes it is because your salary might be below the taxable income range in Singapore (or) your employer might be included in the auto inclusion scheme for tax payment, where your employer automatically updates IRAS on your exact salary, but even then you may log in to change some changes for tax deduction (optional)

Sbk
Regular
Regular

Post by Sbk » Tue, 04 Feb 2020 6:57 pm

I had say you have zero chances for now, why, coz you haven't worked long enough and secondly you left in 2014 after working for a year or less, ICA might have an impression you will do thesame in the future. Finally, your salary is 2.3k and still under probation.

Try applying after you have worked and filed income tax for atleast 2years.

You are from the favorable race so you might get an approval then but for now i highly doubt so.

thesingboyboy

Post by thesingboyboy » Thu, 06 Feb 2020 10:42 am

therat wrote:
Tue, 04 Feb 2020 5:56 pm
1. Now apply. 0%
3. Yes

You only work in Singapore for 1 year, try after 2 yrs.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the heads up. Like I said, I started working in Singapore in 2019 January and was holding work permit and not until Nov 2019 I switched to S Pass. So does that count as "1 year" in 2019?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Feb 2020 12:01 pm

Yes. from Jan '19-Jan '20. (not Nov '19) doesn't matter what work pass you are on. But you have zero chance until you have worked here for two "consecutive" years. Forget about what you did in 2013-14, aside from the better earning you received as opposed to working in M'sia, it doesn't help you one iota in your quest for PR today.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

thesingboyboy

Post by thesingboyboy » Thu, 06 Feb 2020 6:22 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 06 Feb 2020 12:01 pm
Yes. from Jan '19-Jan '20. (not Nov '19) doesn't matter what work pass you are on. But you have zero chance until you have worked here for two "consecutive" years. Forget about what you did in 2013-14, aside from the better earning you received as opposed to working in M'sia, it doesn't help you one iota in your quest for PR today.
Thanks for the reply. Would also like to check, does having a Diploma somehow lower the chances of my application being approved in the future?

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 06 Feb 2020 6:30 pm

thesingboyboy wrote:
Thu, 06 Feb 2020 6:22 pm
Thanks for the reply. Would also like to check, does having a Diploma somehow lower the chances of my application being approved in the future?
Diploma compared to what?
Ideally better the education, the chances/points will increase. This applies for any immigration system. But eduction is NOT THE ONLY FACTOR that they will look at. They will holistically look at the entire application

thesingboyboy

Post by thesingboyboy » Mon, 24 Feb 2020 12:45 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Thu, 06 Feb 2020 6:30 pm
thesingboyboy wrote:
Thu, 06 Feb 2020 6:22 pm
Diploma compared to what?
Ideally better the education, the chances/points will increase. This applies for any immigration system. But eduction is NOT THE ONLY FACTOR that they will look at. They will holistically look at the entire application
1. Hi, if I have a sister working in Singapore who is a work permit holder, does that count as a "family tie"? Will that affect the outcome of my future pr application?

2. A) Also, asking for my sister. My brother in law is an S pass holder whereas my sister is a work permit holder. Should my brother in law go ahead and apply for PR as a standalone application with or without my sister's name? Which one would have the better outcome?

B) Can my brother in law even include my sister in his application since my sister is a Work Permit holder?

P:S They were married in Malaysia and that was 4 years ago.