Singapore Expats

REP renewal for retired PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
CashewNut

Re: REP renewal for retired PR

Post by CashewNut » Wed, 05 Feb 2020 6:20 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
CashewNut wrote:
Wed, 05 Feb 2020 5:19 pm
Although you have no employment income as a retiree, i guess you may well have income from CPF LIFE and other sources. It makes sense that authorities renew REP in that case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
What other sources? Rental income, Dividends etc wont be counted as a regular source of income.
Could be additional government or Singapore-issued annuities. You can use CPF / SRS to invest in additional retirement products.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 05 Feb 2020 6:26 pm

CashewNut wrote:
Wed, 05 Feb 2020 6:20 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:
CashewNut wrote:
Wed, 05 Feb 2020 5:19 pm
Although you have no employment income as a retiree, i guess you may well have income from CPF LIFE and other sources. It makes sense that authorities renew REP in that case.

What other sources? Rental income, Dividends etc wont be counted as a regular source of income.
Could be additional government or Singapore-issued annuities. You can use CPF / SRS to invest in additional retirement products.

I dont think those can be considered as regular source of income unless they are guaranteed for N years. I also agree that REP will mostly be renewed, but not based on what sources of income that you say.

aprilmood

Post by aprilmood » Sat, 08 Feb 2020 12:07 am

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Tue, 04 Feb 2020 2:05 pm
I have a Scottish colleague whose a PR and have been here since late 80's, and he mentioned that he didn't apply when was asked to apply for citizenship, and when now he sees things a bit differently, he tried to apply but was rejected. I'm not sure his exact age, but assume it's 60 plus minus 2 years.

I personally think about applying SC only when I'm stuck at immigration queue in Bangkok or other slow border country, just to get the APEC Business travel card to cut the queues, but usually after a few drinks on flight I'll forget the idea. Based on what I read my REP renewals are quite safe anyway.
Hahaha I completely feel you. Exact same thought process I had every time I went through that awful custom at Bangkok airport, telling myself I gotta convert to SGC immediately after this trip.