Singapore Expats Forum
 

PR approval probability 2020

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
User avatar
jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 11:12 pm

PR approval probability 2020

Post by jamie9vardy » Fri, 04 Sep 2020 4:10 pm

throwthrow wrote:
tritonsg wrote:
Wed, 02 Sep 2020 10:54 pm
Chance me please

Age: 24
Nationality: Malaysian
Ethnicity: Chinese
Gender: Male
Marital Status: Single
Religion : None
Education: Bachelors degree in Computer Science from a US uni
Current Field of Work: Software Engineer
Length of Experience: 2 years
Length of stay: 2 years

No of tax returns: 3
Salary: >55k/year
Pass : EP
Pass Type: P1Pass (as listed on MyInfo, not sure what it means though)

I've heard that my nationality helps a little, but I lived in the states for a few years and have no family connections here, would I be deemed by the gov as the type who won't stay here for long?
Couple of weeks back I interviewed someone with a profile similar to yours, except that he graduated from a uni in Penang. I remember leaving the room thinking...how in the world did someone like that get a PR. Poor technical skills. Communication skills not there either. So long story short, I'm willing to bet my HDB flat that your application will be approved. ICA might as well put a banner up at checkpoint "All Malaysian Chinese with CS degree please collect your PR here"
For a start, you’re citing a job interview and triton is asking about PR chances. ICA does not even interview the applicants (very rarely) so there’s no way ICA would know that. Decision is made based on info provided in the form and supporting documents submitted, supplemented with background checks. Secondly and more importantly, English proficiency, presentation/communication skills and even technical skills are not listed as PR qualifying criteria because again, this is not a job interview.

I’m not sure what causes your angst or saltiness against Malaysian Chinese but like it or not, this is the demographic that fits the purpose of maintaining the ethic mix and their ability/ease to integrate from ICA’s POV.

Lastly, are you from a demographic that finds it hard to obtain PR even though you’re are more qualified professionally, speak well, etc... or you’re a true blue Singaporean?

throwthrow
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri, 04 Sep 2020 3:12 pm

Re: PR approval probability 2020

Post by throwthrow » Fri, 04 Sep 2020 6:21 pm

That would be an interesting sight, ICA officers conducting code interviews. Not salty at Malaysian Chinese per se. More salty towards the govs insistence on upholding the CMIO ratio. I'm local and I'd rather Singapore accept the best brightest from all corners of the world. People who add value. People who can provide a different perspective. Most valuable U.S tech companies are started by immigrants from all corners of the world, not dominated by a single country or ethnicity. Maybe I'm just too idealistic.

User avatar
jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 11:12 pm

Re: PR approval probability 2020

Post by jamie9vardy » Fri, 04 Sep 2020 6:52 pm

throwthrow wrote:That would be an interesting sight, ICA officers conducting code interviews. Not salty at Malaysian Chinese per se. More salty towards the govs insistence on upholding the CMIO ratio. I'm local and I'd rather Singapore accept the best brightest from all corners of the world. People who add value. People who can provide a different perspective. Most valuable U.S tech companies are started by immigrants from all corners of the world, not dominated by a single country or ethnicity. Maybe I'm just too idealistic.
The latter... idealistic.

The gahmen tells the people, Singapore is not ready for a PM who is ethnically Indian.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37303
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: PR approval probability 2020

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Sep 2020 7:48 pm

throwthrow wrote:
Fri, 04 Sep 2020 6:21 pm
That would be an interesting sight, ICA officers conducting code interviews. Not salty at Malaysian Chinese per se. More salty towards the govs insistence on upholding the CMIO ratio. I'm local and I'd rather Singapore accept the best brightest from all corners of the world. People who add value. People who can provide a different perspective. Most valuable U.S tech companies are started by immigrants from all corners of the world, not dominated by a single country or ethnicity. Maybe I'm just too idealistic.
Be thankful they don't. If they did, 50% of the local PMEs would lose their jobs within a week. With 20 years of HR Management under my belt (in Singapore) at the time of my retirement last year, I've found that a very large percentage of the local PMEs spend more time trying to steal credit for work done by others or sit in the office till stupid hours in the evenings to try to impress the boss. I told all my local staff I'd better not see any overtime or people in the office after business hours unless it was a Tender Exercise. Otherwise, during annual reviews I'd have to wonder why they couldn't get their work done during office hours as I knew how long it should take. It eliminated that problem within a couple months.

the observer
Regular
Regular
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:57 am

Re: PR approval probability 2020

Post by the observer » Fri, 04 Sep 2020 11:46 pm

throwthrow wrote:
Fri, 04 Sep 2020 6:21 pm
That would be an interesting sight, ICA officers conducting code interviews. Not salty at Malaysian Chinese per se. More salty towards the govs insistence on upholding the CMIO ratio. I'm local and I'd rather Singapore accept the best brightest from all corners of the world. People who add value. People who can provide a different perspective. Most valuable U.S tech companies are started by immigrants from all corners of the world, not dominated by a single country or ethnicity. Maybe I'm just too idealistic.


Re Malaysians getting PR
Basically, there's a tradeoff for getting the PR easily.
West Malaysians can't withdraw their CPF easily.

vijaykumar
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 11:29 pm

Re: PR approval probability 2020

Post by vijaykumar » Thu, 10 Sep 2020 11:32 pm

I am so grateful about this thread. Thank you for helping out new applicants:

Here is our profile:

Husband (Main applicant)
Age : 40
Race : Indian
Education : Masters in Computer Application (from India)
Current Field of Work : Banking IT (Cloud Platform)
Experience: 15+ years
Length of stay in SG : 8 years
Income Tax submitted : 8
Salary : 120k+
Pass : EP

Wife
Age : 32
Race : Indian
Education : Masters in Computer Science (from India)
Current Field of Work : Banking IT (Cyber Security)
Experience: 8+ years
Length of stay in SG : 8 years
Salary : 105k+
Pass : EP

Married : 10 years
Children : 2 girls (8 years & 1 years)
No of attempts (unsuccessful) : 3 times (last one in 2020 Jan)

Appreciate your response. Regards!

TropicalExpat
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu, 28 May 2020 5:02 pm

Re: PR approval probability 2020

Post by TropicalExpat » Fri, 11 Sep 2020 7:10 am

vijaykumar wrote:
Thu, 10 Sep 2020 11:32 pm
I am so grateful about this thread. Thank you for helping out new applicants:

Here is our profile:

Husband (Main applicant)
Age : 40
Race : Indian
Education : Masters in Computer Application (from India)
Current Field of Work : Banking IT (Cloud Platform)
Experience: 15+ years
Length of stay in SG : 8 years
Income Tax submitted : 8
Salary : 120k+
Pass : EP

Wife
Age : 32
Race : Indian
Education : Masters in Computer Science (from India)
Current Field of Work : Banking IT (Cyber Security)
Experience: 8+ years
Length of stay in SG : 8 years
Salary : 105k+
Pass : EP

Married : 10 years
Children : 2 girls (8 years & 1 years)
No of attempts (unsuccessful) : 3 times (last one in 2020 Jan)

Appreciate your response. Regards!
Your chances seem quite low. Both your ethnicities stand against you (I'm assuming your both Indian nationals, as that's different to race), your salaries are low when set along side your ethnicities. Your age is probably too high. You work in a sector with a lot of foreigners already.

What would have changed to your profile since your last unsuccessful attempt? There is no point in reapplying unless something has materially changed.

vijaykumar
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 11:29 pm

Re: PR approval probability 2020

Post by vijaykumar » Fri, 11 Sep 2020 8:43 am

TropicalExpat wrote:
Fri, 11 Sep 2020 7:10 am
vijaykumar wrote:
Thu, 10 Sep 2020 11:32 pm
I am so grateful about this thread. Thank you for helping out new applicants:

Here is our profile:

Husband (Main applicant)
Age : 40
Race : Indian
Education : Masters in Computer Application (from India)
Current Field of Work : Banking IT (Cloud Platform)
Experience: 15+ years
Length of stay in SG : 8 years
Income Tax submitted : 8
Salary : 120k+
Pass : EP

Wife
Age : 32
Race : Indian
Education : Masters in Computer Science (from India)
Current Field of Work : Banking IT (Cyber Security)
Experience: 8+ years
Length of stay in SG : 8 years
Salary : 105k+
Pass : EP

Married : 10 years
Children : 2 girls (8 years & 1 years)
No of attempts (unsuccessful) : 3 times (last one in 2020 Jan)

Appreciate your response. Regards!
Your chances seem quite low. Both your ethnicities stand against you (I'm assuming your both Indian nationals, as that's different to race), your salaries are low when set along side your ethnicities. Your age is probably too high. You work in a sector with a lot of foreigners already.

What would have changed to your profile since your last unsuccessful attempt? There is no point in reapplying unless something has materially changed.
Thank you @TropicalExpat for your response. After last unsuccessful attempt I had a job change (salary has increased a bit of course) and second kid has born. Would you suggest anything to increase the chances? (age cannot help, I understand)

TropicalExpat
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu, 28 May 2020 5:02 pm

Re: PR approval probability 2020

Post by TropicalExpat » Fri, 11 Sep 2020 9:21 am

vijaykumar wrote:
Fri, 11 Sep 2020 8:43 am
TropicalExpat wrote:
Fri, 11 Sep 2020 7:10 am
vijaykumar wrote:
Thu, 10 Sep 2020 11:32 pm
I am so grateful about this thread. Thank you for helping out new applicants:

Here is our profile:

Husband (Main applicant)
Age : 40
Race : Indian
Education : Masters in Computer Application (from India)
Current Field of Work : Banking IT (Cloud Platform)
Experience: 15+ years
Length of stay in SG : 8 years
Income Tax submitted : 8
Salary : 120k+
Pass : EP

Wife
Age : 32
Race : Indian
Education : Masters in Computer Science (from India)
Current Field of Work : Banking IT (Cyber Security)
Experience: 8+ years
Length of stay in SG : 8 years
Salary : 105k+
Pass : EP

Married : 10 years
Children : 2 girls (8 years & 1 years)
No of attempts (unsuccessful) : 3 times (last one in 2020 Jan)

Appreciate your response. Regards!
Your chances seem quite low. Both your ethnicities stand against you (I'm assuming your both Indian nationals, as that's different to race), your salaries are low when set along side your ethnicities. Your age is probably too high. You work in a sector with a lot of foreigners already.

What would have changed to your profile since your last unsuccessful attempt? There is no point in reapplying unless something has materially changed.
Thank you @TropicalExpat for your response. After last unsuccessful attempt I had a job change (salary has increased a bit of course) and second kid has born. Would you suggest anything to increase the chances? (age cannot help, I understand)

The way to think about this, is understand the cohort you are competing against. There are a lot of Indian EPs trying to get PR. Many of these have undergraduate degrees and MBAs/Masters so you don't stand out in that respect.
What stands in your favour compared to other of your cohort is that you have actually been in Singapore for some time.

Unfortunately I think your ethnicity and age stands quite heavily against you.

You really need a big boost to your salary (and to your wife) for you to have a better chance.

Your multiple attempts and rejections suggest you will likely get rejected again.
Look, there is nothing to stop you from applying again. Please feel free to do so, but I think you will struggle.

Please let us know how it goes.

waimoelwin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 1:27 pm

Re: PR approval probability 2020

Post by waimoelwin » Fri, 11 Sep 2020 10:25 am

Hi Guys,

Please suggest the chance of me.

Age: 24
Nationality: Myanmar
Ethnicity: Burmese
Gender: Male
Marital Status: Single
Religion : Buddhist
Education: Bachelors degree in Computer Science from a UK uni
Master degree in IT from NUS
Current Field of Work: Robotics Engineer
Salary : 60k plus
Length of Job Experience: 3 years
Length of stay: 5.5 years
Serving MOE Tuition Grant Bond
Pass : EP

Thanks alot guys. :) :) :)
Last edited by waimoelwin on Fri, 11 Sep 2020 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

TropicalExpat
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu, 28 May 2020 5:02 pm

Re: PR approval probability 2020

Post by TropicalExpat » Fri, 11 Sep 2020 10:51 am

waimoelwin wrote:
Fri, 11 Sep 2020 10:25 am
Hi Guys,

Please suggest the chance of me please

Age: 24
Nationality: Myanmar
Ethnicity: Burmese
Gender: Male
Marital Status: Single
Religion : Buddhist
Education: Bachelors degree in Computer Science from a UK uni
Master degree in IT from NUS
Current Field of Work: Robotics Engineer
Salary : 60k plus
Length of Job Experience: 3 years
Length of stay: 5.5 years
Serving MOE Tuition Grant Bond

Salary: >55k/year
Pass : EP

Thanks alot guys. :) :) :)

I think your ethnicity works against you in this case.
Salary is also quite low (total compensation can be artificially boosted in year of application)

Your field is quite an interesting one, but it depends specifically whether what you are doing is cutting edge or not. If it is, then you might stand a reasonable chance. My understanding (and other experts here might correct me), is that if you are you working in a field that the gahmen thinks is super duper important for the future economy, this will weigh heavily in your favour.

vijaykumar
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 11:29 pm

Re: PR approval probability 2020

Post by vijaykumar » Fri, 11 Sep 2020 10:06 pm

TropicalExpat wrote:
Fri, 11 Sep 2020 9:21 am
vijaykumar wrote:
Fri, 11 Sep 2020 8:43 am
TropicalExpat wrote:
Fri, 11 Sep 2020 7:10 am


Your chances seem quite low. Both your ethnicities stand against you (I'm assuming your both Indian nationals, as that's different to race), your salaries are low when set along side your ethnicities. Your age is probably too high. You work in a sector with a lot of foreigners already.

What would have changed to your profile since your last unsuccessful attempt? There is no point in reapplying unless something has materially changed.
Thank you @TropicalExpat for your response. After last unsuccessful attempt I had a job change (salary has increased a bit of course) and second kid has born. Would you suggest anything to increase the chances? (age cannot help, I understand)

The way to think about this, is understand the cohort you are competing against. There are a lot of Indian EPs trying to get PR. Many of these have undergraduate degrees and MBAs/Masters so you don't stand out in that respect.
What stands in your favour compared to other of your cohort is that you have actually been in Singapore for some time.

Unfortunately I think your ethnicity and age stands quite heavily against you.

You really need a big boost to your salary (and to your wife) for you to have a better chance.

Your multiple attempts and rejections suggest you will likely get rejected again.
Look, there is nothing to stop you from applying again. Please feel free to do so, but I think you will struggle.

Please let us know how it goes.
Thank you for your responses. Was helpful forming some idea around the situation.

bigshotrob5
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 3:55 pm

Re: PR approval probability 2020

Post by bigshotrob5 » Tue, 15 Sep 2020 10:56 am

Hi all,

Been lurking on this forum for some time now and have found the conversations very helpful. Am now considering applying for PR so want to get a sense of how you guys think I would fare if I were to apply for PR later this year.

Nationality: Indian
Age: 26
Race: Indian
Religion: Hindu
Education: BA in Economics from top 20 university in US
Works as a Senior Associate at a venture capital firm, started as analyst and was promoted to Associate in about 1 year, have since been promoted to Senior Associate. Been with my firm since Jan 2018 but was working abroad. Got an EP in August 2018 and have been on that since then. My EP was also renewed in May
Salary: $90K annually
Been volunteering infrequently outside of work but am founding member of my company's foundation that will look to work with underprivileged students in Singapore.

Looking forward to your feedback. Thanks everyone!

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2836
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PR approval probability 2020

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 15 Sep 2020 10:59 am

bigshotrob5 wrote:
Tue, 15 Sep 2020 10:56 am
Hi all,

Been lurking on this forum for some time now and have found the conversations very helpful. Am now considering applying for PR so want to get a sense of how you guys think I would fare if I were to apply for PR later this year.

Nationality: Indian
Age: 26
Race: Indian
Religion: Hindu
Education: BA in Economics from top 20 university in US
Works as a Senior Associate at a venture capital firm, started as analyst and was promoted to Associate in about 1 year, have since been promoted to Senior Associate. Been with my firm since Jan 2018 but was working abroad. Got an EP in August 2018 and have been on that since then. My EP was also renewed in May
Salary: $90K annually
Been volunteering infrequently outside of work but am founding member of my company's foundation that will look to work with underprivileged students in Singapore.

Looking forward to your feedback. Thanks everyone!
Chance may be close to Nil at the moment. Already replied to your post in Jan and still you posted the same again

bigshotrob5
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 3:55 pm

Re: PR approval probability 2020

Post by bigshotrob5 » Tue, 15 Sep 2020 11:36 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Tue, 15 Sep 2020 10:59 am

Chance may be close to Nil at the moment. Already replied to your post in Jan and still you posted the same again
Hi singaporeflyer, would you mind sharing some of the reasoning why? I've also updated some of the key information in my post (salary, position). Thanks!

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sndy and 6 guests