Singapore Expats

Discussion on national integration (foreigners vs locals)

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
thewhitehatters

Discussion on national integration (foreigners vs locals)

Post by thewhitehatters » Thu, 16 Jan 2020 2:15 pm

We have an upcoming focus group discussion specifically for foreigners/expats to share their experience and thoughts on living in Singapore and with Singaporeans. The idea is to understand how we can foster greater understanding and integration between communities in our society.

The sessions are free to attend!

Event name: Welcome, We're Listening

WHEN?
(You'll need to attend only one session. All sessions will be conducted in English.)
Saturday 18 Jan (10am to 1.30pm)
Saturday 1 Feb (10am to 1.30pm)
Saturday 1 Feb (2pm to 5.30pm)

WHERE?
Crane Club @ 46 Kim Yam Rd #01-06, Singapore 239351

‘Welcome: We’re listening’ seeks to uncover common behavioral traits of non-Singaporeans that may be viewed as undesirable or unacceptable to the local community. This initiative will engage locals, non-locals, and representatives from strategic stakeholder organizations through a series of Focus Group Discussions and Interviews.

We want to hear from your participants on their thoughts regarding integration in Singapore; to find out how we can foster greater understanding and integration between the communities in our society.

Ultimately, the goal in this first phase of the Welcome Campaign is to identify the gap in expectations between locals and non-locals in regard to socially/culturally accepted norms here in Singapore.

If you are keen to participate in the group discussion, sign-up here: thewhitehatters.sg.

Thank you!

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Discussion on national integration (foreigners vs locals)

Post by tiktok » Thu, 16 Jan 2020 7:00 pm

Curious, who/what is funding this?
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 16 Jan 2020 8:18 pm

It is a registered NGO with support from various government organizations apparently and has had the support In Partnership with OnePeople.SG & Supported by the Ministry of Culture, Community & Youth and the The National Integration Council (NIC).

Several years ago, I was personally invited, via this forum thru the administrators to appear on a panel discussion on something similar to this but it was a mixed crowd of foreigners and locals from different strata and segments of society. This was a roundtable type of discussion that was broadcast on CNA as well as having internet live feed/questions. Went pretty good. Oddly, or maybe not, I was also recognized by some viewers as known personality due to my 18 years of part-time acting for SBC/TCS/MediaCorp & MediaWorks. (Not many Ang Mohs in Chinese Drama back then) Whether or not it accomplished anything is debatable as old local habits die hard here and the influx of foreigners with the exception of old fogies like me who have acclimatised due to marriage to a local, have to learn how to assimilate and it isn't easy. (This was one of the reasons why I spent 18 years (1988~2006) as a part time actor (all were Channel 8 Mandarin Drama Series- about 100 episodes in various series) The sight recognition/curiosity by locals overcame the heartlanders cultural walls. Worked a treat.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Fri, 17 Jan 2020 5:01 pm

Thanks, middle paragraph off topic notwithstanding :)

It's really quite amazing how the government tries mold society here.
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.