Singapore Expats

My SC Journey - Approval in 2020

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
juju123

Post by juju123 » Wed, 15 Jan 2020 10:34 pm

Hi everyone. This forum has helped me get through the (almost) 2 years wait of obtaining my SC. Thought it’s only appropriate that I share my journey now :)

Background: Moved here from China when I was 3 with my family. We’ve been PRs for as long as I can remember. Tried to apply for SC as a family 2 times(before I turned 21) but were unsuccessful both times.

After turning 21, I tried to apply as an individual once, but was turned down at the ICA counter. i.e. They rejected my application point blank due to my low income as a poly grad. <$2k. Basically passed the papers back to me and asked me to try again when my income increases. It was really disheartening, considering that I’ve always thought of SG as my home.

Applied again when I was 28, in May 2018.
Income: ~$49k/year
Industry: Finance
Race: Chinese
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Finance

Submission online: May 2018
Interview at ICA: Oct 2018 (docs checking)
AIP: Jan 2020
I’m now finally starting on my SC journey, and I couldn’t be happier :)

Good luck to everyone still playing the waiting game and I hope my experience brings you faith :)

I understand how grueling the process can be. I was obsessively checking myICA somewhere after the 1 year mark, but thanks to this forum, I learned that applications usually takes 18 months or so now instead of the 6-12 months mentioned in ICA.

Sidenote: When submitting docs at ICA, the officer asked if my brother(who’s under 21, studying in local uni) was planning to apply for SC as well. She mentioned that there is a ‘student scheme’ available now and suggested that he tried applying as well.

He got the approval within 3 months of submission. Not sure how this works, just thought it’s worth sharing...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: My SC Journey - Approval in 2020

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 Jan 2020 10:44 pm

Thanks, juju123, your journey, while tedious, has been fruitful. Congratulations and for having the necessary patience to hang in there. Thank you for the heads up on this student scheme as well. We know there used to be one at Uni level while one was in their 3rd or 4th year of Uni. But it was stopped several years ago. Sounds like they have renewed the offers. Good Stuff. Congrats to your bro as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 15 Jan 2020 11:22 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 15 Jan 2020 10:44 pm
Thanks, juju123, your journey, while tedious, has been fruitful. Congratulations and for having the necessary patience to hang in there. Thank you for the heads up on this student scheme as well. We know there used to be one at Uni level while one was in their 3rd or 4th year of Uni. But it was stopped several years ago. Sounds like they have renewed the offers. Good Stuff. Congrats to your bro as well.
They opened it 1 year ago for students who satisfy the below both for PR and SC

Are a PR studying in Singapore; and have been residing in Singapore for more than 3 years (of which, at least one year as a PR); and have passed at least one national exam (i.e. PSLE, GCE ‘N’/‘O’/‘A’ levels), or are in the Integrated Programme (IP).

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 15 Jan 2020 11:23 pm

juju123 wrote:
Wed, 15 Jan 2020 10:34 pm
Hi everyone. This forum has helped me get through the (almost) 2 years wait of obtaining my SC. Thought it’s only appropriate that I share my journey now :)

Background: Moved here from China when I was 3 with my family. We’ve been PRs for as long as I can remember. Tried to apply for SC as a family 2 times(before I turned 21) but were unsuccessful both times.

After turning 21, I tried to apply as an individual once, but was turned down at the ICA counter. i.e. They rejected my application point blank due to my low income as a poly grad. <$2k. Basically passed the papers back to me and asked me to try again when my income increases. It was really disheartening, considering that I’ve always thought of SG as my home.

Good luck to everyone still playing the waiting game and I hope my experience brings you faith :)

I understand how grueling the process can be. I was obsessively checking myICA somewhere after the 1 year mark, but thanks to this forum, I learned that applications usually takes 18 months or so now instead of the 6-12 months mentioned in ICA.

Sidenote: When submitting docs at ICA, the officer asked if my brother(who’s under 21, studying in local uni) was planning to apply for SC as well. She mentioned that there is a ‘student scheme’ available now and suggested that he tried applying as well.

He got the approval within 3 months of submission. Not sure how this works, just thought it’s worth sharing...
Congrats.

I assume your brother served NS? That would have made his SC application very easy.

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Wed, 15 Jan 2020 11:30 pm

That’s a very long story. You have been in Singapore since 3 and you applied when you were 28.... that’s 25 years of residence in Singapore!

Congratulation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by bcheng74 on Wed, 15 Jan 2020 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

juju123

Post by juju123 » Wed, 15 Jan 2020 11:31 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 15 Jan 2020 10:44 pm
Thanks for your kind words! Yes it's been definitely tedious, but glad all went well in the end :)

juju123

Post by juju123 » Wed, 15 Jan 2020 11:33 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Wed, 15 Jan 2020 11:23 pm
juju123 wrote:
Wed, 15 Jan 2020 10:34 pm

Congrats.

I assume your brother served NS? That would have made his SC application very easy.
Yup my brother did. My younger sister who's still in JC applied after he did and got it within a very short period as well.

juju123

Post by juju123 » Wed, 15 Jan 2020 11:35 pm

bcheng74 wrote:
Wed, 15 Jan 2020 11:30 pm
That’s a very long story. You have been in Singapore since 3 and you applied when you were 28.... that’s 25 years of residence in Singapore!

Congratulation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! Singapore has been and will always be my home. I've always struggled with my sense of identity since I'm basically a Singaporean at heart but never had the privilege to call myself one. I also used to get bullied as a child for being a "foreigner"

Glad that I will soon get to call myself a true blue Singaporean! :D