Singapore Expats

MOE Waiver for Dual Citizen Child 

Interested to get your child into a local Primary School? Discuss the opportunities here.
david2581

MOE Waiver for Dual Citizen Child 

Post by david2581 » Wed, 15 Jan 2020 12:01 pm

We have a dual-citizen (SG/Can) kid who will be entering Kindergarten next year.  We are wondering if it is worth trying to get the MOE waiver to attend an International School

We most likely will move back after 4 - 5 years, so prefer sending her to a Canadian/American school, but I understand that these waivers are now very hard to get. 

Has anyone had success with such waivers recently or heard of people trying this approach? Frustrating that we cannot choose the education system of our child.:(

Thank you!

Spidermanbaby

Re: MOE Waiver for Dual Citizen Child 

Post by Spidermanbaby » Sun, 31 May 2020 1:48 pm

Hi,
Is this MOE waiver for dual Citizen Child a new thing? I tried searching the MOE webpage but to no avail. Could you kindly advise? Many thanxs :-)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 31 May 2020 2:07 pm

Yes, it could be done in the past, but today, I am not sure. You will have to approach MOE directly. I believe you also have to show intent to return to Canada as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 02 Jun 2020 9:14 am

You apply for the MOE waiver via and with the assistance of the International School you wish to use. You may succeed. We did about 4 years ago but then shifted our daughter to a local school as the international school was failing her academically.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Spidermanbaby

Post by Spidermanbaby » Tue, 02 Jun 2020 8:29 pm

Thank you both for the kind replies. I will check it out. I have intentions of returning to SG due to my unforeseen medical issues. Both of my children have been on an International School system since legal schooling age. I felt bad that due to my own medical issue, they would have to be yanked out of their school to an unfamiliar environment as well as to a total different country altogether! As a parent, I can only hope to make their transition as smooth as possible!

Thank you once again & kind regards
Keep safe

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 03 Jun 2020 10:33 am

Spider - in the application you need to be pretty clear as to why your children should be in the FSS. Most commonly accepted reason is that you intend to migrate/leave Singapore. Second most common reason is that your children have not been in the Singapore system at all and will struggle academically.... I think the latter one will work for you. (Third reason is your child needs support or academics not found in the local system ala LKY nephew).

The admissions officer should be able to guide you on this if they are at all competent.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Spidermanbaby

Post by Spidermanbaby » Wed, 03 Jun 2020 4:08 pm

Thank you for the useful information. It is very much appreciated! :-)