Singapore Expats

What are your biggest PR rejection fears? :(

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
alto_admin

What are your biggest PR rejection fears? :(

Post by alto_admin » Sun, 05 Jan 2020 4:32 am

Hi folks!

I'm curious about what fears you have, regarding your PR application.

If your PR was refused previously, why do you think it did?
If you plan to apply for PR, what are your biggest fears?

I'm going to apply for a PR soon and have been speaking to a few friends about their experiences and fears. Curious what fears the community has. Personally, mine is not enough volunteering etc.

Happy New Year btw! Hopefully this is the approval year :D
Last edited by alto_admin on Wed, 08 Jan 2020 11:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Re: Why do you think your PR application was refused?

Post by smoulder » Sun, 05 Jan 2020 4:33 pm

I was successful on my 4th attempt. I don't quite recall all the reasons I suspected rejection but on 2 occasions -

1. Applied too soon after marriage to a Malaysian Chinese PR (later converted to SC). Well before 2 years of marriage. Don't recall if that application was through the PTS scheme or FT.

2. My 3rd attempt, I was rejected just a few weeks before I quit my job. So we appealed via the local MP. Then I went on a short vacation before I started on my new job. Was rejected around that time.

My fear before I was finally approved was if I was earning "enough" to be approved given my race. (I'm Indian). And then there was the fear that if I was earning "enough" when I was "too old", would I ever be approved. Just to be clear I wasn't sure how much was "enough" or "too old".

alto_admin

Post by alto_admin » Sun, 05 Jan 2020 8:02 pm

smoulder wrote:
Sun, 05 Jan 2020 4:33 pm
I was successful on my 4th attempt. I don't quite recall all the reasons I suspected rejection but on 2 occasions -

1. Applied too soon after marriage to a Malaysian Chinese PR (later converted to SC). Well before 2 years of marriage. Don't recall if that application was through the PTS scheme or FT.

2. My 3rd attempt, I was rejected just a few weeks before I quit my job. So we appealed via the local MP. Then I went on a short vacation before I started on my new job. Was rejected around that time.

My fear before I was finally approved was if I was earning "enough" to be approved given my race. (I'm Indian). And then there was the fear that if I was earning "enough" when I was "too old", would I ever be approved. Just to be clear I wasn't sure how much was "enough" or "too old".
Congrats — how interesting! Which year did you get it approved?

Do you often find friends restate the same fears today, that you had previously?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 05 Jan 2020 8:38 pm

alto_admin wrote:
Sun, 05 Jan 2020 4:32 am
Hi folks!

Personally, mine is not enough volunteering etc.

Happy New Year btw! Hopefully this is the approval year
:D
That shouldn't be a fear at all. 3rd world applicants have abused this so many times (volunteering until receiving PR and never to be seen again at the NGO) that having that on your application now just indicates that you are trying to pad your application. It's not given any credit towards PR applications for probably 5 years or more. About the only thing in that genre that might would be a record of regular blood donations and even that isn't a given. When people abuse things the benefit of those things lose their value to those who follow.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

alto_admin

Post by alto_admin » Sun, 05 Jan 2020 9:09 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sun, 05 Jan 2020 8:38 pm
alto_admin wrote:
Hi folks!

That shouldn't be a fear at all. 3rd world applicants have abused this so many times (volunteering until receiving PR and never to be seen again at the NGO) that having that on your application now just indicates that you are trying to pad your application. It's not given any credit towards PR applications for probably 5 years or more. About the only thing in that genre that might would be a record of regular blood donations and even that isn't a given. When people abuse things the benefit of those things lose their value to those who follow.
That's an interesting angle!

I genuinely love the Singapore Library, so I've been donating $50 to NLB monthly for a few months now (and intend to continue regardless of PR).

After your comment I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't include those records in my application?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: What are your biggest PR fears? :(

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 05 Jan 2020 9:28 pm

I wouldn't bother, but if you have been doing it for a considerable length of time, why stop if you are really the charitable sort. Otherwise, you just put paid to my statement. ;-) Just a poke, but I'm sure you see exactly what I'm saying. This is why ICA could really care less today (but having said that 10 years ago it was seen as a positive. Abused or bragging about something you "got away with" here in Singapore is a sure way to get the government to slam the door on it. Personally, I wouldn't bother. But like most, had I "invested" I probably would, but realizing that it probably will not help. I don't think it will hurt, it will be like a null statement of fact, and little else.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

alto_admin

Post by alto_admin » Sun, 05 Jan 2020 11:57 pm

Sun, 05 Jan 2020 9:28 pm
I wouldn't bother, but if you have been doing it for a considerable length of time, why stop if you are really the charitable sort. Otherwise, you just put paid to my statement. ;-) Just a poke, but I'm sure you see exactly what I'm saying. This is why ICA could really care less today (but having said that 10 years ago it was seen as a positive. Abused or bragging about something you "got away with" here in Singapore is a sure way to get the government to slam the door on it. Personally, I wouldn't bother. But like most, had I "invested" I probably would, but realizing that it probably will not help. I don't think it will hurt, it will be like a null statement of fact, and little else.
Yeah, let's see how it goes. I am leaning towards mentioning it.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 06 Jan 2020 12:32 am

alto_admin wrote:
Sun, 05 Jan 2020 11:57 pm
Sun, 05 Jan 2020 9:28 pm
Yeah, let's see how it goes. I am leaning towards mentioning it.
There are lot of charities and organizations who are in need of funds like the childrens society, heart foundation, etc. Why not donate to them rather than to NLB? I am a big fan of NLB, but I personally feel that NLB is financially OK. If you need to contribute, you can do volunteer service for them and donate the money to some needy charity? Just my thought and personal view.

FYI, I have volunteered for close to 7 years for NLB, roughly 40-60 hours per year.. But recently, moved to volunteer to some other organization that is more closer to my residence.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Mon, 06 Jan 2020 12:44 am

alto_admin wrote:
Sun, 05 Jan 2020 8:02 pm
smoulder wrote:
Sun, 05 Jan 2020 4:33 pm

Congrats — how interesting! Which year did you get it approved?

Do you often find friends restate the same fears today, that you had previously?
Approved in Oct last year. I have no idea if anyone else has those same fears. I do know that there is definitely this fear among Indians that we are not considered very favorable.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Mon, 06 Jan 2020 12:47 am

alto_admin wrote:
Hi folks!

My wife is doing some volunteer work. She recently met another lady from the UK who is also volunteering with the sole intention of mentioning it in her PR application. Seems to be a thing.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 06 Jan 2020 12:51 am

smoulder wrote:
Mon, 06 Jan 2020 12:47 am
alto_admin wrote:
Hi folks!

My wife is doing some volunteer work. She recently met another lady from the UK who is also volunteering with the sole intention of mentioning it in her PR application. Seems to be a thing.
Won't make any difference to the PR application, unless she has volunteered regularly for 3+ years.

alto_admin

Post by alto_admin » Mon, 06 Jan 2020 1:32 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Mon, 06 Jan 2020 12:32 am

There are lot of charities and organizations who are in need of funds like the childrens society, heart foundation, etc. Why not donate to them rather than to NLB? I am a big fan of NLB, but I personally feel that NLB is financially OK. If you need to contribute, you can do volunteer service for them and donate the money to some needy charity? Just my thought and personal view.
Yeah fair, I just happen to be really impressed with NLB and decided to contribute. Personally I felt I was getting a lot more value out of the place than I was giving back through my annual membership fee :-)
singaporeflyer wrote:
Mon, 06 Jan 2020 12:32 am

FYI, I have volunteered for close to 7 years for NLB, roughly 40-60 hours per year.. But recently, moved to volunteer to some other organization that is more closer to my residence.
Nice! Where do you discover opportunities to volunteer? giving.sg?

I'd love to volunteer if there's an opportunity that fit my skillset (e.g teaching programming). But until one emerges, it'll have to money for now!

alto_admin

Post by alto_admin » Mon, 06 Jan 2020 1:34 am

smoulder wrote:
Mon, 06 Jan 2020 12:44 am
I do know that there is definitely this fear among Indians that we are not considered very favorable.
That's for sure. Do you know of other races who also think their conditions aren't favorable?

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Re: What are your biggest PR rejection fears? [emoji20]

Post by jamie9vardy » Mon, 06 Jan 2020 8:43 am

alto_admin wrote:
smoulder wrote:
I do know that there is definitely this fear among Indians that we are not considered very favorable.
That's for sure. Do you know of other races who also think their conditions aren't favorable?
Vietnamese and Peens

alto_admin

Re: What are your biggest PR rejection fears? [emoji20]

Post by alto_admin » Tue, 07 Jan 2020 2:27 pm

jamie9vardy wrote:
Mon, 06 Jan 2020 8:43 am
alto_admin wrote:
smoulder wrote:
Vietnamese and Peens
What seems to be their reason for concern? Quota?