Singapore Expats

Diplomatic clauseTenant & Occupant

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
raphaelsg

Diplomatic clauseTenant & Occupant

Post by raphaelsg » Sat, 04 Jan 2020 4:44 pm

Hi Everyone,

my wife (occupant) & I (tenant) signed a 2-years Tenancy agreement with such diplomatic clause:
Notwithstanding anything herein contained, if at any time after the expiration of Twelve (12) months from the date of commencement of this tenancy, the immediate Tenant/Occupant of the said premises, [MY NAME] and [Wife's name] shall be transfered out of the Republic of Singapore permanentely by his organization [...] then and in such a case, it shall be lawful for the Tenant to determine (?) this tenancy by giving not less than Two (2) months' advance notice (this is in addition to the twelve (12) months aforesaid) in writing to the landlord or by paying Two months' rent in lieu of such notice. Documentary evidence of such transfer or cessation shall be required and such notice shall be deemed to have commenced on such date as the Landlord shall have actually received such evidence.
Two questions here:
- Can the clause be activated if my wife gives the notice or should it be both of us ?
- If the cessation is a resignation, is it valid ?

Thanks & Regards !

Raphaël

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Diplomatic clauseTenant & Occupant

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 05 Jan 2020 2:07 am

- No
- No

"shall be transfered out of the Republic of Singapore permanentely by his organization"

Pretty much self explanatory. Doesn't say anything about YOU instigating the separation from your company AND is says transferred by his organization. FAIL.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers