Singapore Expats

Previously EP holder - changed name & passport number

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Riha

Previously EP holder - changed name & passport number

Post by Riha » Fri, 27 Dec 2019 8:18 am

Hey anybody changed name before?
I had worked before in sg and hold EP. (until 2 years ago)
I came back to my country and changed name.
Then my passport number was also changed.
If I go back to sg and apply EP again , do I need to inform MOM or ICA?
Or should I just re issue my EP with new name ?
If then ... I guess I will have new EP number.

Anybody knows details?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Previously EP holder - changed name & passport number

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 27 Dec 2019 11:52 am

When you arrive they will ask you if you have been to Singapore before on a different passport (e.g., different name, etc). If you have and you do not tell them the truth, there is a good chance when you are found out you will be ejected permanently from Singapore (they use facial recognition software now as well). Therefore, you should bring your old passport (even if expired), the Deed Poll (legal document changing your name) and be truthful - don't try to play-play as you will eventually be found out.

Depending on which country you are from, they will customarily input your race, nationality and DOB into their database and see what get flagged and if your facial scan matches shows any likely matches. Then you might be asked to go to a little room where you will get the 'interview' and if found out you lied, you would be put back on the plane going the other direction.

If you are traveling as a lone youngish woman from an Asian country, they may suspect you are a 'working girl'. So, be sure to indicate that you were here and all the details I mentioned in my first paragraph. And welcome back to Singapore!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Riha

Post by Riha » Fri, 27 Dec 2019 10:19 pm

Thanks Sunday for your reply! Yes I think I should inform them about my name ... I was just worried that they think I did something wrong and changed name ..

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 27 Dec 2019 10:34 pm

That is why I rambled a bit, Everything I've mention HAS happened all to often so immigration is somewhat suspicious. Forewarned is forearmed! ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers