Singapore Expats

Signing of Additional Clauses not included in contract

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Elaine515106

Signing of Additional Clauses not included in contract

Post by Elaine515106 » Mon, 23 Dec 2019 5:48 pm

Hi,

My company suddenly give me 2 pages of clauses aaying that it is the additional of clauses under intellectual property protection that was not included in my contract previously, so do I sign or not?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Signing of Additional Clauses not included in contract

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Dec 2019 6:21 pm

Doesn't matter. Technically if they have given it to all similar employees, in Singapore is considered as given and valid. Sucks, but there you go. If you want to spend a couple of hundred to have a lawyer look at it, go ahead, but the answer is likely to be exactly the same.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Elaine515106

Post by Elaine515106 » Mon, 23 Dec 2019 6:30 pm

However I can dont sign right since I already resign too?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Dec 2019 11:13 pm

No you don't have to sign it. Was it given to you before or after you resigned? I'm assuming you have a copy of your original contract and all pages were signed and initialed by you at the bottom on the original that they are holding. If they tried to give it to you after you submitted your letter of resignation, tell them to piss off. (well not exactly in those words). :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Elaine515106

Post by Elaine515106 » Tue, 24 Dec 2019 9:01 am

They pass it to me after I have resigned and I am already serving notice.

Elaine515106

Post by Elaine515106 » Tue, 24 Dec 2019 9:02 am

But what reasons can I say to reject them?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 24 Dec 2019 9:16 am

If they were not part of your contract (of which you need to have a signed copy of the original) that you signed and were not given to you before you resigned. Then they have to bite the bullet. They cannot modify your contract after you have given proper written notice. Tell them you will take them to MOM court. The MOM should look out for you. Document everything, when you resigned, when you last day of work will be, when they approached you to retroactively sign an additional clause (which was their mistake, not yours). Everything and let them know if they persist or play-play at the end of you employment notice, you will go directly to the MOM. That is what the MOM is for.

It is not because you are planning to do anything, but that they haven't got their own house in order, and that is not your fault. It the principle of the thing they are trying to do that is illegal.

Elaine515106

Post by Elaine515106 » Tue, 24 Dec 2019 9:32 am

I have given them proper notice, however the company did not send a formal email or what to acknowledge that I have resigned. However i understand that it is recognise by the Law that when I submitted the resignation letter it was already recognise by the Law. They are saying that I still have to sign even I have resign which is not right I guess? And they are threatening not to pay me if I dont sign

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 24 Dec 2019 11:53 am

Elaine515106 wrote:
Tue, 24 Dec 2019 9:32 am
I have given them proper notice, however the company did not send a formal email or what to acknowledge that I have resigned. However i understand that it is recognise by the Law that when I submitted the resignation letter it was already recognise by the Law. They are saying that I still have to sign even I have resign which is not right I guess? And they are threatening not to pay me if I dont sign
What is the contents of the IPR? Why are you hesitant to sign it? Are you planning to make any part of the work done as your IP?

Elaine515106

Post by Elaine515106 » Tue, 24 Dec 2019 12:05 pm

vv
Last edited by Elaine515106 on Tue, 24 Dec 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elaine515106

Post by Elaine515106 » Tue, 24 Dec 2019 12:10 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Tue, 24 Dec 2019 11:53 am
Elaine515106 wrote:
What is the contents of the IPR? Why are you hesitant to sign it? Are you planning to make any part of the work done as your IP?

I will say the clauses is added because of the recent issues they face with the ex-staff, more on posting abt compant at our own social network and also jobs sites. I am not hesitant to sign it but why should i sign it ?The additional clauses has nth to do with my work done.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 24 Dec 2019 12:38 pm

Elaine515106 wrote:
Tue, 24 Dec 2019 12:10 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:
Elaine515106 wrote:

I will say the clauses is added because of the recent issues they face with the ex-staff, more on posting abt compant at our own social network and also jobs sites. I am not hesitant to sign it but why should i sign it ?The additional clauses has nth to do with my work done.
Based on some of your initial posts, your messages dont seem to go well. You initially said you had 3 months of notice period and dont want to serve it, right?

Elaine515106

Post by Elaine515106 » Tue, 24 Dec 2019 12:59 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Tue, 24 Dec 2019 12:38 pm
Elaine515106 wrote:
Tue, 24 Dec 2019 12:10 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:

Based on some of your initial posts, your messages dont seem to go well. You initially said you had 3 months of notice period and dont want to serve it, right?

But I am already serving my notice and I have already serve 2months and continuing.