Singapore Expats Forum
 

Letter from Government Hospital’s Senior Surgeon Helps in PR?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
SingBuddy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat, 21 Dec 2019 9:47 am

Letter from Government Hospital’s Senior Surgeon Helps in PR?

Post by SingBuddy » Sat, 21 Dec 2019 9:54 am

Dear Friends,

We (me, my spouse and two children) moved to SG 13 months ago on EP/DP. We had planned to apply for PR in early Dec. My child was recently diagnosed with a disease and was treated at a restructured hospital here in SG. If all goes well (touch wood), the child will be back to normal life in couple of months. However the child will be under observation of the surgeon in clinic (initially fortnightly and subsequently monthly, quarterly, …) for five years. The surgeon has issued a memo saying that the child will be in close and LONG TERM surveillance of the hospital and ICA should support in issuance of PR to the child. The memo also says, child’s health is improving and expected to improve further.

We are really keen in settling here and this is one of the reasons we preferred SG medical treatment regardless of it being 10 times expensive compared to our country of birth.

I have following questions:

1. Do you think this letter from surgeon will support child/our case?

2. If no, should I even include this memo and mention about child’s surgery in cover letter?

3. If yes, should I focus on the memo and request ICA more on personal grounds than professional grounds?

4. Can they think of the child as a liability to the country although all expenses were borne by insurance/myself?

5. If, God forbid, I loose my EP due to job situation and we leave the country, continuation of the child’s medical treatment will be affected. Do you think ICA will care about this?

Thanks in advance for your responses. The more the responses, the more the clarity/ideas. God bless.

User avatar
jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 11:12 pm

Letter from Government Hospital’s Senior Surgeon Helps in PR?

Post by jamie9vardy » Sat, 21 Dec 2019 2:22 pm

SingBuddy wrote:Dear Friends,

We (me, my spouse and two children) moved to SG 13 months ago on EP/DP. We had planned to apply for PR in early Dec. My child was recently diagnosed with a disease and was treated at a restructured hospital here in SG. If all goes well (touch wood), the child will be back to normal life in couple of months. However the child will be under observation of the surgeon in clinic (initially fortnightly and subsequently monthly, quarterly, …) for five years. The surgeon has issued a memo saying that the child will be in close and LONG TERM surveillance of the hospital and ICA should support in issuance of PR to the child. The memo also says, child’s health is improving and expected to improve further.

We are really keen in settling here and this is one of the reasons we preferred SG medical treatment regardless of it being 10 times expensive compared to our country of birth.

I have following questions:

1. Do you think this letter from surgeon will support child/our case?

2. If no, should I even include this memo and mention about child’s surgery in cover letter?

3. If yes, should I focus on the memo and request ICA more on personal grounds than professional grounds?

4. Can they think of the child as a liability to the country although all expenses were borne by insurance/myself?

5. If, God forbid, I loose my EP due to job situation and we leave the country, continuation of the child’s medical treatment will be affected. Do you think ICA will care about this?

Thanks in advance for your responses. The more the responses, the more the clarity/ideas. God bless.
First thing first, we don’t know about your profile/background (nationality, race, profession, qualifications, age, etc) except for the repeated sentences about your child has a medical condition and ICA should give you SPR on that ground. Also, you have only been here for slightly over a year, how many rounds of taxes have you paid?

To be honest, I don’t think ICA give two hoots about the surgeon’s letter. ICA doesn’t take recommendation / instruction from the surgeon, sometimes not even the MPs. If you lose your job and need to leave SG, just come back as a medical tourist, if your hometown is not too far away.


SingBuddy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat, 21 Dec 2019 9:47 am

Re: Letter from Government Hospital’s Senior Surgeon Helps in PR?

Post by SingBuddy » Sat, 21 Dec 2019 4:40 pm

Profile: Nationality/race Indian. Sales Manager in IT MNC. MBA and BSc Computer Science. Age 39.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37307
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Letter from Government Hospital’s Senior Surgeon Helps in PR?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 21 Dec 2019 5:19 pm

I'm curious. Why would you think the government would deliberately add costs to the country instead of cutting costs? Would you consider keeping your child under your private insurance if you obtained PR? To be honest, you would be asking the government to saddle some of the burden of the medical costs via PR subsidies. What would you be giving the government in exchange? So far, based on what you have related, I don't see anything. Sales managers in IT are not niche or rare occupations so that's not likely to be a plus. What I see is a rejection with the paragraph telling you that you are able to continue working on your current EP as long as you are able to do so. Singapore isn't big on charity unless it's coming from somebody else pocket and not theirs unless it's an election year and as you have probably noticed, only citizens get those handouts, PRs do not. I'm not saying you don't have a chance but don't bet your last dollar on it and keep a plan B handy. Most Indians, including my daughter's In-Laws, who are long-time PRs like myself, always goes back to Indian for all their medical needs both for cost and they think the docs are better there. (I don't quite agree but each to their own opinions). Good Luck though. We've see things happens that totally buck the trends here on occasion. Maybe this will be one of them. Just be prepared and have a Plan B, as I've said.

lot286
Regular
Regular
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 12:56 pm

Re: Letter from Government Hospital’s Senior Surgeon Helps in PR?

Post by lot286 » Sat, 21 Dec 2019 5:35 pm

If you are asking the gov to grant pr ship due to humanitarian reasons...sorry mate I don't think this will work out at all.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37307
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Letter from Government Hospital’s Senior Surgeon Helps in PR?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 21 Dec 2019 6:27 pm

lot286 wrote:
Sat, 21 Dec 2019 5:35 pm
If you are asking the gov to grant pr ship due to humanitarian reasons...sorry mate I don't think this will work out at all.
Yeah, looked what happened here in the late '70's & 80's with the Vietnamese refugees. Humanitarian? The Navy gave 'em some petrol, water and towed them back out to Int'l waters.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2835
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: Letter from Government Hospital’s Senior Surgeon Helps in PR?

Post by singaporeflyer » Sat, 21 Dec 2019 10:20 pm

SingBuddy wrote:
Sat, 21 Dec 2019 9:54 am
Dear Friends,

We (me, my spouse and two children) moved to SG 13 months ago on EP/DP. We had planned to apply for PR in early Dec. My child was recently diagnosed with a disease and was treated at a restructured hospital here in SG. If all goes well (touch wood), the child will be back to normal life in couple of months. However the child will be under observation of the surgeon in clinic (initially fortnightly and subsequently monthly, quarterly, …) for five years. The surgeon has issued a memo saying that the child will be in close and LONG TERM surveillance of the hospital and ICA should support in issuance of PR to the child. The memo also says, child’s health is improving and expected to improve further.

We are really keen in settling here and this is one of the reasons we preferred SG medical treatment regardless of it being 10 times expensive compared to our country of birth.

I have following questions:

1. Do you think this letter from surgeon will support child/our case?

2. If no, should I even include this memo and mention about child’s surgery in cover letter?

3. If yes, should I focus on the memo and request ICA more on personal grounds than professional grounds?

4. Can they think of the child as a liability to the country although all expenses were borne by insurance/myself?

5. If, God forbid, I loose my EP due to job situation and we leave the country, continuation of the child’s medical treatment will be affected. Do you think ICA will care about this?

Thanks in advance for your responses. The more the responses, the more the clarity/ideas. God bless.
Sorry to hear your situation. But based on your details and also from where you are , chances are going to be NIL.

Example: If they grant PR, the gov has to offer some subsidy in medical. Why will they do that?

Also from their view, you need treatment - yes. But why not get that being on an EP and DP?

5. If, God forbid, I loose my EP due to job situation and we leave the country, continuation of the child’s medical treatment will be affected. Do you think ICA will care about this?

- Why should they do? if they do this, there will be a lot of EP holders, who can also ask for the same.

Also clarify if the medical condition is totally not treatable in India and only SG has the equipments and expertise?

But I understand that your situation is tough and am sorry for it.

smoulder
Regular
Regular
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 11:05 pm

Re: Letter from Government Hospital’s Senior Surgeon Helps in PR?

Post by smoulder » Sun, 22 Dec 2019 7:16 pm

Based on these 2 factors alone I'd say that your chances are very low.
1. Ethnicity ("not" Chinese)
2. Amount of time spent in Singapore

You can't change the first, but you can work on the 2nd one.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2835
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: Letter from Government Hospital’s Senior Surgeon Helps in PR?

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 22 Dec 2019 7:22 pm

But if he adds the medical letter, it won't do more good, as it will look like he is looking for subsidies via PR?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37307
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Letter from Government Hospital’s Senior Surgeon Helps in PR?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Dec 2019 1:02 am

^^^^This!

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 7332
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Letter from Government Hospital’s Senior Surgeon Helps in PR?

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 23 Dec 2019 5:51 pm

This is an incredibly stupid idea. Beyond the pale stupid. For all your personal suffering I am sorry but the absolutely first thing most countries (except for the exceedlingly liberal Euro ones) check is the HEALTH of the applicants.... so that they are not taking on liabilities so there own damn citizens don't vote them out of office in the next election!
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 11:21 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Letter from Government Hospital’s Senior Surgeon Helps in PR?

Post by BBCDoc » Thu, 26 Dec 2019 8:12 am

I would have thought TS would be considered a cash cow for the healthcare industry. Why ruin that?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

smoulder
Regular
Regular
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 11:05 pm

Re: Letter from Government Hospital’s Senior Surgeon Helps in PR?

Post by smoulder » Thu, 26 Dec 2019 10:40 am

BBCDoc wrote:
Thu, 26 Dec 2019 8:12 am
I would have thought TS would be considered a cash cow for the healthcare industry. Why ruin that?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A cash cow? That's not really how subsidies work. Someone else is paying for it namely the government and tax payers.

If I read correctly, it sounds like the doctor who he was consulting with actually thought that a PR would be a good idea to specifically take advantage of the subsidies.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2835
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: Letter from Government Hospital’s Senior Surgeon Helps in PR?

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 26 Dec 2019 11:32 am

smoulder wrote:
Thu, 26 Dec 2019 10:40 am
BBCDoc wrote:
Thu, 26 Dec 2019 8:12 am
I would have thought TS would be considered a cash cow for the healthcare industry. Why ruin that?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A cash cow? That's not really how subsidies work. Someone else is paying for it namely the government and tax payers.

If I read correctly, it sounds like the doctor who he was consulting with actually thought that a PR would be a good idea to specifically take advantage of the subsidies.
What BBCDOC is saying is that OP will be spending lots for health here and it adds to the economy. But I don't see it that way and dont agree with BBCDoc.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 11:21 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Letter from Government Hospital’s Senior Surgeon Helps in PR?

Post by BBCDoc » Thu, 26 Dec 2019 1:20 pm

Singapore healthcare has a heavy focus on drawing earnings from foreigners. I work in that industry.

Government subsidies don’t cover enough for advanced technologies, and reimbursement is limited by pricing.

Thus, foreigner’s Budget and their insurance programs are essential for the development and upkeep of modern healthcare system.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cokikoh, smoulder and 6 guests