Singapore Expats

Buying used Car - Car Insurance

Have your burning questions answered relating to buying and selling cars and other vehicles.
tsarpoet

Buying used Car - Car Insurance

Post by tsarpoet » Fri, 20 Dec 2019 6:04 pm

Hi,
I am married to a Singaporean guy for 10 yrs married and have lived in Jakarta. We are now back in Singapore for good and am now about to apply LTVP or LTVP+.

We are planning to buy a used car and will be using my international driving license till i convert to local license within a year as the law requires.

The issue I face today, as my husband are not be able to drive, i will be the name driver for the car. But I am having problem getting car insurance for myself since i have not gotten my LTVP for my FIN which they need to fill in the form. The LTVP process could take as long as 6 months.

Help needed:
1) Do anyone knows any insurance company can insured my case
2) Do i need to do anything else on my international license to be valid here like report to TP or register to?

Thanks in advance.

tsarpoet

Re: Buying used Car - Car Insurance

Post by tsarpoet » Sun, 22 Dec 2019 8:23 am

Anyone can share any help especially on the car insurance?

h0nd4l3g3nd

Post by h0nd4l3g3nd » Tue, 28 Jul 2020 10:47 am

Car insurance is so so important. I actually crashed my car and didn't get car insurance and paid a hefty amount for it. I would recommend getting car insurance from car dealers because they really compare to get the best price for you.

emergency234
Regular
Regular

Post by emergency234 » Tue, 10 Nov 2020 7:14 am

tsarpoet wrote:
Fri, 20 Dec 2019 6:04 pm

We are planning to buy a used car and will be using my international driving license till i convert to local license within a year as the law requires.

2) Do i need to do anything else on my international license to be valid here like report to TP or register to?

Thanks in advance.
Quoting from the Sixt website :
Foreigners who are staying in Singapore for less than 12 months will have to produce a valid foreign driving license and an International Driving Permit (IDP) issued by Automobile Association in Singapore.
If an International Driving Permit is not available, a translation of your foreign driving license to the English Language is required
If you are from any ASEAN member countries, then a valid foreign driving license is sufficient. IDP is not required.

Also :
https://www.directasia.com/blog/convert ... g-licence/

You don't need to report to anyone regarding your foreign license.

Regarding Q1. as far as I know u need to have a valid Singapore residency document to get car insurance - either FIN or NRIC