Singapore Expats

Apply for LTVP 1st then PR?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
tutukueh

Apply for LTVP 1st then PR?

Post by tutukueh » Thu, 19 Dec 2019 4:18 pm

Hi all, new user here :D

First of all, my husband and I just got married earlier this month. He's a work permit holder (From Taiwan) and I'm a pure Singaporean.

My Husband's Profile:

Length of stay in SG: He's been staying with me at my parents' house and working in SG for close to a year and a half now
Country of origin: Taiwan
Salary: $2,000/mth

I have read a lot of cases in the forum on their PR application status and was wondering if my Husband should apply for PR first OR continue working in SG as a work permit holder OR I can help him to apply for LTVP since there will be more job opportunities than work permit holders? :cry:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Apply for LTVP 1st then PR?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Dec 2019 7:49 pm

First question. Did you get permission from the MOM to marry a Work Permit holder? If you have passed that question with a yes, the after you have been married for at least two years (either on a WP or LTVP+), you can try to apply for his PR. The odds are against it after only two years but it's possible. Earlier than that will almost certainly result in an initial rejection. This only means it will cost you the application fee again. It is also possible that ICA might think the only reason is to buy and HDB.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tutukueh

Post by tutukueh » Fri, 20 Dec 2019 10:28 am

Hi @sundaymorningstaple! Thanks for replying :)

Yes we got approval from MOM prior to our ROM. Noted! Was actually considering whether to apply LTVP for my husband as there are usually more job openings for LTVP, yes? :) What usually happens in the first PR rejection? Can we try it again and again or will we get 'blacklisted' somehow?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 20 Dec 2019 11:44 am

You can try again, should not be a problem, but if rejected and you apply again before having been married 2 years or more, you may find yourselves waiting a long time for a reply (like maybe pending until you've been theoretically married over two years. Do yourselves a favour. Don't try to game the system, they've seen it all, and they will always be the winners. You may also be a winner - win-win. But play-play and you may end up being played with by ICA.

Same thing goes with WP vrs LTVP. He currently has a WP, correct? Having a WP can be better than an LTVP. LTVP means he doesn't have to as strictly qualify for a position, but it doesn't mean he will get paid more (in fact, often less as they know). Will his current employer allow him to work on an LOC for the same salary? Will his current employer continue to employ him? What if he cannot find a job on the LTVP or the salaries are too low (employers, just like people also game the system if they know about it or can do it). Sometimes a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Your gamble. Good Luck.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tutukueh

Post by tutukueh » Fri, 20 Dec 2019 12:44 pm

Thanks for the information, really helps!! :) Agree with you! Shouldn't 'mess around' with the government cos we will end up being on the losing end... Well, we shall wait for at least 2 years of marriage before applying for his PR then. Thank you and have a great weekend ahead!!

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Fri, 20 Dec 2019 12:52 pm

At some point I was wondering if I should "replace" my employment pass (which was due for renewal at the time) with an LOC. I asked my company hr what they recommended and they advised me against it. I don't know the the whole story but she explained to me that LOC is considered "at a lower level".

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 20 Dec 2019 8:08 pm

Because you don't have to fully qualify for it academically or experience-wise (but you need to be in a related field or at at least have some history in the position), it means you can be paid less than the market rate for a position as the employer knows the facts and will automatically offer you less. Hence my comments above.

However this all depends on the employer as well. I converted (one of the first employers to do so when the LoC was first brought out 5 or 6 years ago) my accounts clerk (Vietnamese) to an LoC (She was on an S pass previously). However, we didn't use that as a reason to reduce or cap her salary as she still was the same employee. In fact it helped us as we always ran maxed out on quotas and by having her release one allowed us to hire another foreigner (I was the HR Mgr of a business that has great difficulty in hiring and keeping local hires as it's outdoors and in smelly conditions because of the chemicals we used (pest control). Also, by converting her from an S pass, it saved us money as that was one levy less to pay (at the time around $350~500 per S pass holder.