Singapore Expats

DBS Non Existant Fraud Controls

Discuss the different banking options, rates, offers and perks.
doubleomelette

Re: DBS Non Existant Fraud Controls

Post by doubleomelette » Wed, 20 Oct 2021 11:23 am

Hi all, i recently experienced something similar. i received a text message posing as dbs back stating that there was a login attempt from a new device and if it wasnt me, i had to go into the link provided to provide my bank details for verification and to upgrade my account. 5 hours later, i received a text message from the real dbs bank stating that there were a couple of transactions made amounting to about 7.7k SGD.

i immediately called DBS to inform them that i did not authorise this and they blocked my card. DBS told me over the phone that they will investigate these transactions but because i promptly informed them, it seemed at that point that i would not have lost my money.

However they called me the next day and their tone seemed to have changed, insinuating that i was at fault for providing my secure code. i then made a police report and also called them a couple of times more to state my case that this transaction is obviously fraudulent, so they should be at least trying to raise a dispute for me. i also prompty notified them the moment i received the notification of the transactions.

i was hoping if anyone here experienced anything similar, do you have any advice?
thank you

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 20 Oct 2021 11:37 am

1. Did you click the link provided in first message " into the link provided "? This violates DBS TOC which is to not click any links any such messages which is what they are standing on. Unfortunately sending fake links is a common scam to harvest user names and passwords etc.

2. I would engage a solicitor to write to them outlining the event and stating you are not at fault.

3. Are you in addition one of the MyRepublic customers who had their NRIC data stolen?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

doubleomelette

Post by doubleomelette » Wed, 20 Oct 2021 8:51 pm

1. Unfortunately the text message looked legitimate and I clicked on it.
2. I will consider this
3. Nope

Update: today DBS told me they would appeal for partial absorption, not sure how much that would be though. Also hope more could be done about my situation

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 21 Oct 2021 10:16 am

Hope isn't a strategy.
I don't see any point in advising you any further.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Thu, 21 Oct 2021 10:35 am

People have been repeatedly warned about #1 but the scammers know how to manipulate people psychologically. This is the reason i told my elderly parents to avoid digital banking for now especially as i am not near them.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 21 Oct 2021 11:08 am

bro75 wrote:
Thu, 21 Oct 2021 10:35 am
People have been repeatedly warned about #1 but the scammers know how to manipulate people psychologically. This is the reason i told my elderly parents to avoid digital banking for now especially as i am not near them.
You've made a good point. What I've done before (but not currently) is registered a dead mobile number so that I don't have SMS capability for 2nd factor and I have to use the token. That helps me psychologically.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Thu, 21 Oct 2021 12:44 pm

By now everyone should know to ignore/block all unsolicited calls/texts. I even do this when it really is my actual bank calling… if it’s important enough they will leave a message or call me back a sufficient number of times that I become annoyed and pick up - - but even then… they are a suspect until proven otherwise.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Thu, 21 Oct 2021 12:51 pm

The funniest scam calls that I get are the ones claiming that I owe money and a judgement is going to be entered against me if I don’t call within 24 hours.

I’ve even received such calls seeking people who are family members, even in-laws (how they connect them to me, I don’t know).

But, even if it was a legit collection agency, I am not about to entertain such a call, even if money really was owed - - the statute of limitations is already ticking, who am I to interfere?
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr