Singapore Expats

Will I lose my PR status if my father (main applicant) loses his PR?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: Will I lose my PR status if my father (main applicant) loses his PR?

Post by malcontent » Sun, 01 Nov 2020 10:25 am

I’ve always heard that you can retain PR even without a REP as long as you don’t leave Singapore... but has there been any actual cases? What happened in those cases?
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 01 Nov 2020 1:47 pm

lisa A wrote:
Sun, 01 Nov 2020 10:02 am
Tha is insane......one spend 2 years in NS..... not granted Citizienship.....crazy....
How so, lisa A? Think about it. Suppose the NS man was a total screwup during NS, AWOL, Late, troublemaker, fights, drunkenness, etc, etc. If he is like that as a PR why in hell would the government want to give him Citizenship so that they can feed him and house him as a civilian in jail, etc. Not all NS boys are momma's boys. Some are wannabe gangsters. Therefore the government rightly rescinded the automatic right to SGC. Granted, having done NS is a good step towards SGC but it is NOT a right or "entitlement" (in today's strawberry-speak).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 01 Nov 2020 1:53 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 01 Nov 2020 10:25 am
I’ve always heard that you can retain PR even without a REP as long as you don’t leave Singapore... but has there been any actual cases? What happened in those cases?
Can't speak for anybody else, but I, personally, went 15 months without an REP. And no, I didn't leave Singapore during that period. They can. I don't know of anybody who lost their PR due to the lack of an REP, but that is probably because they are no longer in Singapore??? If your REP expired while overseas, if there was a consulate nearby and you don't partake of it's services, when you come back in, they will usually levy a fine on you the first time (if I remember correctly, it used to be $100). But do it again, they may give you a SVP to allow you to clear out or maybe give you a 1 year REP to see if you abuse it again. If you leave the country without a valid REP, your action is, in fact, telling ICA you are voluntarily giving up your PR.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 01 Nov 2020 2:38 pm

lisa A wrote:
Sun, 01 Nov 2020 10:02 am
Tha is insane......one spend 2 years in NS..... not granted Citizienship.....crazy....
Very high chance to get it, only a very very few don't get it. Completing NS is considered to be a good commitment and contribution to Singapore

gizmogeek

Post by gizmogeek » Mon, 02 Nov 2020 12:31 pm

It is not insane...but very sane policy.
Imagine a person wherein all family members now outside SG, no support structure in SG anymore. This person though did NS, if not enough skill and no chance for gainful employment, how he support himself. (Dont just think that everyone do NS can sure get gainful employment).
Thats why it now depend on the individual to show and prove on his own merit. If he can do that, having done NS is a positive ++ for SC.
Think of worst case, if auto SC after do NS, later this person anti-social, no job, no nothing, no family here, then whose reponsibility? Thats why many policy must think all scenario, sometime seem crazy at first thought.