Singapore Expats

Will I lose my PR status if my father (main applicant) loses his PR?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
melissakuan

Will I lose my PR status if my father (main applicant) loses his PR?

Post by melissakuan » Wed, 11 Dec 2019 1:28 pm

Hello, I am a 17-year old permanent resident currently studying in a polytechnic here in Singapore. I am a second generation PR whose application was sponsored by my father, who works overseas. Recently, my father was issued only a one-year extension on his Re-Entry Permit (REP)

I understand that PRs can retain their PR status even after their REP expires, provided that they don't travel outside of Singapore. However, is this true for second generation PRs?

Also, since I am below 21, does that mean I am unable to apply for a renewal of REP on my own? And will I lose my PR status too if my dad loses his (assuming he is still overseas past his REP expiry date) ? Or will I be able to retain it so long as I don't travel overseas?

Thanks in advance for any helpful answers!

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: Will I lose my PR status if my father (main applicant) loses his PR?

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 11 Dec 2019 2:58 pm

melissakuan wrote:
Wed, 11 Dec 2019 1:28 pm
Hello, I am a 17-year old permanent resident currently studying in a polytechnic here in Singapore. I am a second generation PR whose application was sponsored by my father, who works overseas. Recently, my father was issued only a one-year extension on his Re-Entry Permit (REP)

I understand that PRs can retain their PR status even after their REP expires, provided that they don't travel outside of Singapore. However, is this true for second generation PRs?

Also, since I am below 21, does that mean I am unable to apply for a renewal of REP on my own? And will I lose my PR status too if my dad loses his (assuming he is still overseas past his REP expiry date) ? Or will I be able to retain it so long as I don't travel overseas?

Is your father employed in SG or out of SG for long?

Easy fix to all this is ask him to work/move back to SG. Next year when he renews his REP, he will be able to get a 5 year REP and your issue will be solved too.

melissakuan

Post by melissakuan » Wed, 11 Dec 2019 3:31 pm

He is not employed in SG as he is unable to find gainful employment here. His work is based overseas.
However, he is actively looking for work in SG now that this situation has popped up.

In the case where my father is unable to move back and find a job in time, is there a chance where my PR will be lost? Or will I still be able to retain my PR as long as I don't travel out?

melissakuan

Post by melissakuan » Wed, 11 Dec 2019 3:32 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Wed, 11 Dec 2019 2:58 pm
melissakuan wrote:
Wed, 11 Dec 2019 1:28 pm

Is your father employed in SG or out of SG for long?

Easy fix to all this is ask him to work/move back to SG. Next year when he renews his REP, he will be able to get a 5 year REP and your issue will be solved too.
He is not employed in SG as he is unable to find gainful employment here. His work is based overseas.
However, he is actively looking for work in SG now that this situation has popped up.

In the case where my father is unable to move back and find a job in time, is there a chance where my PR will be lost? Or will I still be able to retain my PR as long as I don't travel out?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 11 Dec 2019 9:01 pm

1. Yes there is a chance that the dependent REP's will be cancelled.
2. Yes you can remain in Singapore as long as you want provided you don't travel out.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

melissakuan

Post by melissakuan » Wed, 11 Dec 2019 10:45 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 11 Dec 2019 9:01 pm
2. Yes you can remain in Singapore as long as you want provided you don't travel out.
Hi, just to clarify:

1. Is the dependent still able to apply for renewal of REP by themselves? Or do I have to reach 21 to do that?
2. For second gen PR, cancellation of sponsor's PR does not equate to cancellation of the dependent's PR? (As long as the dependent stays in SG past the REP expiry date?)
Thats what I inferred from your second point haha.

Thanks for the help so far!

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 11 Dec 2019 10:50 pm

melissakuan wrote:
Wed, 11 Dec 2019 10:45 pm
PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 11 Dec 2019 9:01 pm
Hi, just to clarify:

1. Is the dependent still able to apply for renewal of REP by themselves? Or do I have to reach 21 to do that?
2. For second gen PR, cancellation of sponsor's PR does not equate to cancellation of the dependent's PR? (As long as the dependent stays in SG past the REP expiry date?)
Thats what I inferred from your second point haha.

Thanks for the help so far!
1. till you are 21, your main sponsor has to renew REP for you
2. If they cancel the main PR, your dependant PR will get cancelled. When he cancels his, yours will automatically attach and get cancelled. After that you cant reside legally in SG.

Please don't try to find loopholes. Best thing is ask your father to move permanently to SG and work here. May be when you are 21 and have a job, then he can decide if he really really wants to surrender his PR, in which case you will be an independent PR

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 12 Dec 2019 1:03 am

If your father returns to Singapore and finds a job here and is able to renew his PR for a full period, you can remain a PR even after you are 21 as long as you remain single and live in your parents home. After the age of 21, if you marry or move out of your parents home (you would no longer be a dependent of your father in either case), then you will have to qualify for PR in you own right based on your own credentials (which might be rather hard). Or become a LTVP on your spouses sponsorship (or DP if you spouse happens to be an EP holder.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Thu, 12 Dec 2019 10:30 am

I'm just wondering if she can legally continue to live in Singapore as a student (she mentioned that she is in poly) in the worst case scenario wherein her dad's pr is cancelled.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 12 Dec 2019 12:00 pm

Possible but no guarantees. Old biblical saying. "sins of the father" ? Gahment got long memory and I'm sure you already realize they can be vindictive if they suspect somebody is playing the system or that they think so.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

shuigao

Post by shuigao » Thu, 12 Dec 2019 1:17 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 12 Dec 2019 1:03 am
After the age of 21, if you marry or move out of your parents home (you would no longer be a dependent of your father in either case), then you will have to qualify for PR in you own right based on your own credentials (which might be rather hard).
Wow that really stings. I had always assumed that 2nd gen (sponsored) PRs would still be allowed to 'keep' their residency in SG even after turning 21.

Does this mean that all sponsored PR's, after 21, will (generally) not be able to renew their REP and therefore need to convert their status to Student's Pass / Work Pass (whichever the case may be) or be forced to go back to their country of citizenship?
shuigao's travel & food blog http://look-see-eat.blogspot.com/

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 12 Dec 2019 1:30 pm

shuigao wrote:
Thu, 12 Dec 2019 1:17 pm
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 12 Dec 2019 1:03 am
After the age of 21, if you marry or move out of your parents home (you would no longer be a dependent of your father in either case), then you will have to qualify for PR in you own right based on your own credentials (which might be rather hard).
Wow that really stings. I had always assumed that 2nd gen (sponsored) PRs would still be allowed to 'keep' their residency in SG even after turning 21.

Does this mean that all sponsored PR's, after 21, will (generally) not be able to renew their REP and therefore need to convert their status to Student's Pass / Work Pass (whichever the case may be) or be forced to go back to their country of citizenship?
If you assume wrongly, no one will be able to help you.

After 21, if the person was a dependant PR, he/she has to start working and submit the proof to ICA and will convert to an independent PR (Standalone PR).

https://www.mfa.gov.sg/Overseas-Mission ... try-Permit

Read Point 8

lisa A

Post by lisa A » Sat, 31 Oct 2020 1:49 pm

If you serve NS, you will be granted citizenship. You can look for your Mp for advice.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 31 Oct 2020 2:16 pm

lisa A wrote:
Sat, 31 Oct 2020 1:49 pm
If you serve NS, you will be granted citizenship. You can look for your Mp for advice.
Not true. Lots have not been granted SGC. Hasn't been protocol for a fair number of years now. You can apply but approval is not guaranteed.

lisa A

Post by lisa A » Sun, 01 Nov 2020 10:02 am

Tha is insane......one spend 2 years in NS..... not granted Citizienship.....crazy....