Singapore Expats

Double check

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
Year2034

Double check

Post by Year2034 » Tue, 10 Dec 2019 3:34 pm

Hi. First of all, thanks guys for running this forum and the advice you give.

Just wanted to double check on our current situation.

My son (dual citizen German/Singaporean) just turned 5. Mother Singaporean, father German. Son born in SG. We have just left Singapore and permanently settled in Switzerland. We have followed the advice given here so far. That is:
- Son never got SG passport/IC
- Only ever traveled on German passport. Got the "Right of Entry" chop in his first passport (when he was a couple of months old). Will not have "Right of Entry" chop in his new German passport.
- Didn't take any benefits (i.e. didn't open CDA account, didn't even take a library card in his name, did however receive baby bonus (think that was automatic))

Undecided of whether we will be back in SG, hence to keep all options open, for now, we would like to follow the path of future renunciation of my son's SG citizenship and hence (possibly- albeit low likelihood as I understand) avoiding NS.

We have notified ICA of our overseas address. Is that all we need to do for the moment or any other steps we should take?

Thanks a ton

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Double check

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 10 Dec 2019 4:24 pm

It's a long read, and lots of changes over the years since originally posted (besure to check date stamps of the posts). But this is probably still the go to read for NS issues. The key years are pretty much confirmed to be 13 years old to notify CMPB/MidDef (not the old 11 years old - change due to biometric passports if I remember correctly) Call up at 16.5 years (if all is done right, will not be any call-up but whether he will have to appear in person I cannot confirm. With regard to Passport, if son was born to a Singaporean Mother in Singapore, the child is a Singaporean by birth and will have a Singapore BC stating the same. The important thing is the notification of address (which you have done) and the letter stating the wish to renounce at the age of 21 and the wish to be exempted from NS for the reasons you have stated here. You should not have any problems if these things are done timely.

viewtopic.php?t=61423

A read of any of Mad Scientist's posts are also essential reading from someone who has taken both of his son's out of Singapore and has probably more first had experience with the authorities than anybody would like to have. Stay in the 'Strictly Speaking' sub-forum under the General Forum.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 26 Aug 2020 5:44 pm

I am being naughty here but it is doable . Get your son Swiss Passport. You know what I mean....... :wink: :wink:
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 27 Aug 2020 1:15 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
Wed, 26 Aug 2020 5:44 pm
I am being naughty here but it is doable . Get your son Swiss Passport. You know what I mean....... :wink: :wink:
Good to see you are still out their kickin' MS!. Hope yer health is back on track. Are you still in NZ or are you in Oz? In a couple more days I'll be one year into my 7th lunar cycle! In good shape with the exception of have a small bout with Dengue in July. Basically walked through it and didn't find out it was confirmed I had Dengue until the day before my blood count was back to normal. Hope all is well with your family.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 27 Aug 2020 10:54 am

For abosutely rock solid assurances the mother should migrate completely as well. i.e. give up her Singapore passport, CPF or HDB if she has one.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 27 Aug 2020 6:14 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 27 Aug 2020 1:15 am
Mad Scientist wrote:
Good to see you are still out their kickin' MS!. Hope yer health is back on track. Are you still in NZ or are you in Oz? In a couple more days I'll be one year into my 7th lunar cycle! In good shape with the exception of have a small bout with Dengue in July. Basically walked through it and didn't find out it was confirmed I had Dengue until the day before my blood count was back to normal. Hope all is well with your family.
Hello my old friend. I am well. Did both knee reconstruction and was living the dream in Motala with the wife until Covid slam dunk Sweden. We stayed for awhile but the death toll keeps on going up.
For whatever reason the Swedish government did not do the same steps as Norway and Denmark. We decided to go back to either Oz or NZ but no flights. Only one flight from Frankfurt for every three weeks to NZ or Perth if we are lucky. So we drove from Motala to Frankfurt which was a nightmare in itself but we got through.
A few weeks sleeping in the campervan and spend quite a bit on the bloody flight. We decided to fly straight back to NZ instead of OZ as their cases on on the rise too. That chook is running the show in OZ and I don't trust him
Been back almost 2 months now. Jacinda is good and honest
Family's good , 5 grand kids. All have their own life to run
Dengue is not good for old people like us. You have to take care of yourself matey not young anymore.
Just happen to be going back to this forum for the past week to see who is still holding the stick.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Year2034

Post by Year2034 » Thu, 27 Oct 2022 6:29 pm

Oh wow! Never noticed til now that I got a response! Thank you!

To be honest, not sure what you mean? And the earliest time for my son to have a Swiss passport would be at age 15-17 due to the long waiting time.
Mad Scientist wrote: