Singapore Expats

Renting HDB as a work holiday pass holder

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Yixuan28280

Renting HDB as a work holiday pass holder

Post by Yixuan28280 » Sat, 07 Dec 2019 4:05 am

Hi all!

I am a student from a British University and I plan to work as an intern in Queenstown for six months from January 2020. I am currently looking for accommodation in Singapore but I have never been to Singapore before.

I am just wondering whether you could rent a room (for six months) in an HDB flat as a work holiday pass holder. I had a look on the government website and the WHP is not one of the passes that are eligible for renting HDB. However, as an intern, I do not get paid much and there are not many choices there if I could not rent HDB.

Any advice?

Search By

x9200

Re: Renting HDB as a work holiday pass holder

Post by x9200 » Sun, 08 Dec 2019 10:38 am

Yixuan28280 wrote:
Sat, 07 Dec 2019 4:05 am
Hi all!

I am a student from a British University and I plan to work as an intern in Queenstown for six months from January 2020. I am currently looking for accommodation in Singapore but I have never been to Singapore before.

I am just wondering whether you could rent a room (for six months) in an HDB flat as a work holiday pass holder. I had a look on the government website and the WHP is not one of the passes that are eligible for renting HDB. However, as an intern, I do not get paid much and there are not many choices there if I could not rent HDB.

Any advice?
I think the problem is with the maximum validity of WHP to be six months while the minimum validity to be eligible for HDB rental is the same.

https://www.hdb.gov.sg/cs/infoweb/resid ... ligibility
"These passes must have a validity period of at least 6 months as at the date of application "

Not sure if this is technically possible to have the WHP valid for at least 6 months at the time of application.
Advice? Check directly with HDB.

Besides HDB there are also some student hostels available.