Singapore Expats

Turn down a signed contract because current employer counter offers, is it ethically okay from MOM’s point of view

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Kaonashy

Turn down a signed contract because current employer counter offers, is it ethically okay from MOM’s point of view

Post by Kaonashy » Tue, 03 Dec 2019 7:37 pm

Hi, first time posting here. I’m working for this company A. L

Few months ago I applied for a position with company B, managed to score an offer with them.

Few days later company A (my current employer) referred me to another client.

So this morning company B sent me their offer letter (EP already approved last week), I signed.

In the afternoon A called me to inform that I got an offer from that client. It’s way better and I don’t need a new EP because I still work for the same employer.

Of course I want to go with A but since I’ve already signed the contract with B, I feel kind of guilty and wonder if that’d hurt my career in the long run here in Singapore. I’m not a frequent job hopper though but still it feels somewhat wrong.

Has anyone ever been in this situation before, in your opinion how should I decide?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Turn down a signed contract because current employer counter offers, is it ethically okay from MOM’s point of view

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 03 Dec 2019 9:14 pm

You whole post sounds fishy starting with the very first sentence, which is not true as this is your 3rd post and you joined on 3 June 2017. Want to try again? Are you working for a Body Shop who has you seconded to a client? Is company B outside of the Agency?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Kaonashy

Re: Turn down a signed contract because current employer counter offers, is it ethically okay from MOM’s point of view

Post by Kaonashy » Tue, 03 Dec 2019 11:16 pm

I rarely come here so I don't remember I has posted here before.

Yes I work for a body shop (A). I just finished my one year contract with this old client (Also got renewed recently) and they wanted to move me to a new client.

Before the contract ended I took an interview with this other company (Through another body shop company) and landed an offer (B).

Basically I acknowledged that I accept the offer with B this morning via email (Not signed, I was on mrt so was typing so fast, some details are not accurate). EP was approved last week.

In the after noon (A) called and offered me a better deal, with their new client, everything is ready since I don't need a new EP because I'm still under the same body shop company.

Legally speaking I'll be staying with the same company, but also I'll be rejecting an acknowledged offer. And I feel not very easy about it, not sure if that will make me look bad in the long term?

Also I don't know how to not sound fishy, I just wanted to ask a question that's it.

Any response is appreciated.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 Dec 2019 1:22 am

No contract in Singapore is valid until the work pass has been issued. At this point you only have the IPA (In Principle Approval) so you technically can back out as the contract only becomes valid when you start work which you cannot do until the IPA is changed to the employment pass. The body shop obviously will not look at it badly as you are part of their revenue stream. The potential new employer might be a bit miffed but at the end of the day you are still within your legal rights to reject the offer.

But, if you decide to move on at a later day away from the body shop (which is only temporary work as long as the client needs their services) you might have burned a bridge with a permanent employer which could, in the long term treat you better. If your client finishes their project and your services are no longer needed, if the body shop cannot find a new client, you will be going home as they will otherwise still have to pay you based on the amount quoted to the MOM in order to get your pass. You need to gamble a bit, do you want more money now with the potential of being unemployed at any time, or the potential security of a more permanent position which may allow for promotion and increases later (which you will NOT see in a body shop). Seriously, they choice is yours and I cannot make any recommendation either way. I spent 10 years as a Headhunters and I've seen them gamble and lose and gamble and win. It's a crap shoot especially in todays' economy where gig-jobs seem to be all the rage, but not for this old man. Think carefully.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Kaonashy

Post by Kaonashy » Wed, 04 Dec 2019 1:38 pm

Thanks, appreciated your detailed answer.

Today I have decided to go with the second offer. Still quitting a job has never been a pleasant feeling for me.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 Dec 2019 5:06 pm

I hear you. Good luck.