Singapore Expats Forum

EMPLOYMENT ISSUE (SPass, EPass, Multiple IPA & etc)

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Post Reply
thenotsocuriousguy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 5:51 pm

EMPLOYMENT ISSUE (SPass, EPass, Multiple IPA & etc)

Post by thenotsocuriousguy » Sat, 23 Nov 2019 7:05 pm

Hi everyone,

I just want to get some advise and have few questions.

So here's my story.....

I am currently working here in Singapore and my present pass (SPass) is about to expire in a month and my present company don't have any quota to renew my present pass, even I reminded them already few months back. The HR keep on saying they will apply for my pass renewal next month (no date specific) which is almost the expiry of my present pass, which is bothersome for my part coz no assurance.

Luckily, last month I was headhunted by both Company A & Company B and was invited to attend series of interviews.

I got a job offer from Company A right after the series of interviews and since Company B haven't come up with any result yet (coz they need to interview minimum of 5 applicants for the post as company rule), I accepted Company A's job offer.

So company A applied for my new work pass and got approval from MOM, and was issued SPass (though the compensation is within the EPass salary bracket). They send me the IPA already.

So then I informed my present company that I will not be renewing my pass and will start rendering my notice.

Then few days after I received the IPA from Company A and after tendering my resignation at my present company, Company B called me and informed me that I was hired and send me the job offer that is way beyond my expectation and is higher than Company A with other perks too. They said they will apply for EPass and send me all documents that I need to fill-out (I checked sure EPass as per MOM-SAT).


Just a few questions:

1) Should I accept Company B's offer?

2) Can Company B proceed with the application of the EPass even there's an SPass IPA issued under Company A?

3) Do I need to inform Company A to cancel the SPass IPA issued to me before Company B can apply? (might be a bad-blood with them)

4) Is it possible to hold 2 IPA (1 SPass & 1 EPass) if ever? Then will just decide later on which one I go?

5) Should I stick with Company A since they offer me job first?

6) Should I decline Company B's offer and inform them my situation since Company A offered first?


Thank you very much for your answers.

-TNSCG

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 36725
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: EMPLOYMENT ISSUE (SPass, EPass, Multiple IPA & etc)

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 23 Nov 2019 10:49 pm

Company B cannot apply for an pass until Company A cancels the current IPA. Good Luck. Most company's will just ignore the IPA and let it expire (6 months) out of spite. Can't say as I blame them, truth be known. Also, remember you are going to have to tell Company B that you have an existing IPA with Company A so they will have to wait before they can apply (otherwise, you will throw a spanner into the works and likely not get a pass at all). So assuming Co. B will wait, and Co. A will withdraw the application, how secure do you think your position will be at Co. B? Considering they already know you have no compunction in not keeping your word, which you already proved to them, by screwing Co. A after you accepted their offer. You position with Co. B won't be worth a wooden nickle as at the first turndown, if they have to let somebody go, guess who it's liable to be? After all, you will have already shown them your nature. Good Luck.

thenotsocuriousguy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 5:51 pm

Re: EMPLOYMENT ISSUE (SPass, EPass, Multiple IPA & etc)

Post by thenotsocuriousguy » Sat, 23 Nov 2019 11:17 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sat, 23 Nov 2019 10:49 pm
Company B cannot apply for an pass until Company A cancels the current IPA. Good Luck. Most company's will just ignore the IPA and let it expire (6 months) out of spite. Can't say as I blame them, truth be known. Also, remember you are going to have to tell Company B that you have an existing IPA with Company A so they will have to wait before they can apply (otherwise, you will throw a spanner into the works and likely not get a pass at all). So assuming Co. B will wait, and Co. A will withdraw the application, how secure do you think your position will be at Co. B? Considering they already know you have no compunction in not keeping your word, which you already proved to them, by screwing Co. A after you accepted their offer. You position with Co. B won't be worth a wooden nickle as at the first turndown, if they have to let somebody go, guess who it's liable to be? After all, you will have already shown them your nature. Good Luck.
Company B knows the offer of Company A since I told Company B the job offer of Company A during the final stage of my interview in Company B. Company B even encourage me to accept the job offer and proceed with the application with Company A since they know that it will take time for them to come up with a result. Maybe that's the reason their job offer turns out like that. It's really nerve wracking. What should I do then?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 36725
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: EMPLOYMENT ISSUE (SPass, EPass, Multiple IPA & etc)

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 24 Nov 2019 12:35 pm

If Company B is aware that you already have an IPA with Company A, then my only advice is let your conscience be your guide. We cannot advise you what to do, but only give our opinions on the possible outcomes. Yes, I agree, when you burn a candle at both ends, as so many who come here try to do, one must be prepared to occasionally get burned. O"ld saying "bird in hand worth more than two still in the bush".

thenotsocuriousguy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 5:51 pm

Re: EMPLOYMENT ISSUE (SPass, EPass, Multiple IPA & etc)

Post by thenotsocuriousguy » Fri, 06 Dec 2019 5:58 pm

I already informed company B that I will not be accepting their offer since I already confirmed with Company A which I have a sure pass and IPA. But now a big issue comes again, my present company wants me to stay as they see me as a good employee and have potential and gave a counter offer that is way higher than the offer of Company A or Company B and will be promoted a managerial post from assistant manager post (which is in line with my previous performance review with them) plus other benefits too.

1) Should I tell Company A about the counter offer?
2) Should I accept the counter offer?

Thanks.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 36725
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: EMPLOYMENT ISSUE (SPass, EPass, Multiple IPA & etc)

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 06 Dec 2019 11:11 pm

I'm sure you have seen several of my other recent posts with regards to changing jobs. I'm afraid I cannot give any advice other than follow you heart with a healthy dose of looking at the what if's.

Couple of questions to ask yourself. I don't have the answers as I've not walked the same path and even had I, my internal reasons may have been different...

Why did you want to leave your current company in the first place?
Would moving to a new company ensure you would not be in the same situation but with a new company?
Are you moving for the money, advancement, or surroundings or personality differences?
Or, is a a combination of a couple of reasons. If it's just money, it is a short term goal or a long term goal. Which company realistically can offer that?
It sounds like the current company has made an investment in you and would not like to lose it. Can either of the other companies come close to matching it in a reasonable timeline?
I'm hitting you with a lot of questions that I don't require any answers to as I still am not on the ground with your feelings and where you have been/going. I'm asking the questions I'd be asking myself before I commit. Is the devil you know better than the devil you don't know. Food for thought before you commit. May the Force be with you! ;-)

Post Reply


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests