Singapore Expats Forum

looking for a job / need your opinion

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

helena

looking for a job / need your opinion

Postby helena » Sat, 12 Mar 2005 1:23 pm

I am looking for a job in Singapore (I am female, 28, european, have a Social Visa Pass).
In Singapore for three months, I already applied for a few jobs I saw in the newspaper. I had no luck :cry:
I know it is difficult to find work and I know I need to have patience. But, I am getting worried and sick to stay at home. I really want to work.

Because I don’t want to give up my hope, I consider another way to find a job. What do you think: would it be a good idea to visit some companies personally? Just walk in and ask if they have any vacancies… or if I just call and ask for an appointment with the HR?

What should I know before my first visit?

Please share your opinions with me. Thanks in advance.

coline

Postby coline » Sat, 12 Mar 2005 4:07 pm

tik u should leave your e mail address behind for ppl who wanna private message for you...

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sat, 12 Mar 2005 5:08 pm

You don't say what it is what you want to do, or what your skills are. In my opinion, people who will take any job, that is, people who are not focused and are without passion for their calling, will find it difficult to obtain a job because they don't exude the right "vibes" to a potential employer, whether it is in the written word or in a face to face interview.

Jobs are best found through networking and that means developing a network. Professional organizations in your areas of interest are a good place to start. Consider volunteering in organizations that may put you next to people that can help. Join various business organizations such as the Singapore Chamber of Commerce and attend social functions to get yourself known.

People are much more inclined to hire those that they know as opposed to strangers that respond to want ads. The key then, is to devise strategies to get yourself in front of people who can either hire, or can recommend you for hire to someone else. Don't be afraid to have lunch with someone you just met; it's not about asking for a job, either... it's about creating relationship.