Singapore Expats Forum

OFS vs SAS

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

JustaQ'n

OFS vs SAS

Postby JustaQ'n » Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:10 am

I will be moving to Singapore and would welcome any comments/ suggestions of putting my kids (ages 9 and 5) in OFS vs SAS. Standard of education/facilities/DIVERSITY etc.

Thanks
:lol:

Postby Guest » Mon, 14 Mar 2005 8:47 am

My kids are at the OFS and we are very happy with the school the teachers and principals are very helpfull, do not know anythig about the sas
just visit the websites and compare

beenhere10years

Postby beenhere10years » Sat, 19 Mar 2005 9:26 am

OFS is a great school, but as far as facilities go, SAS wins hands down. The location is not ideal, but the campus more than makes up for the distance. The SAS community is ethnically diverse and the after school activities are broad and numerous. Sports, the Arts, Cotilian, Scouts -- SAS has a lot to offer. OFS does too, but visit both and see.

killerbeezz

Postby killerbeezz » Sun, 20 Mar 2005 4:25 pm

SAS rules!!

seraphim
Reporter
Reporter

Postby seraphim » Sun, 20 Mar 2005 4:47 pm

Oh man....beezz - you were from SAS? Or are you there NOW?

There's a dram of difference. I was from SAS too.

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

OFS vs SAS

Postby Matney » Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:29 pm

I have 2 children at OFS, grades 6 & 8. They started there in January from Australia;I'm American. I did not visit SAS, mainly due to distance from home. OFS has great teachers (my daughter has never liked Maths, but does now) and I find the principals very approachable. I'm assuming that the facilities at SAS are better than OFS, but I'm not complaining.

I think you need to look at where you will be living? What school has spaces available (OFS was the only school out of 8 that would enroll both children)? How long you plan to be in Singapore? After visisting the schools, what school seems to "feel right" for you and your children. Will your company being paying for the children's education, books, uniform, etc.? We are happy with our choice! :D

Martine

from someone who has been to both...

Postby Martine » Mon, 21 Mar 2005 2:20 pm

Hello there!

I was a student at SAS from 1997-1999, at which point i changed schools to go to OFS, where i graduated in 2002. I would honestly recommend OFS over SAS-- although SAS does win out hands down as someone else said for facilities, trips, after school activities and campus wise, OFS has a much better atmosphere. The teachers are friendlier and so are the people and the other kids. I think the hardest part about moving to a new place is trying to fit in-- a friendly environment is critical. I found OFS to be far more international than SAS. OFS helped me to go from an average student to student of the month =)

Keep in mind that even though SAS has better facilities, OFS is making changes every year slowly but surely- the school got better with every year i was there.

At the end of the day it all depends on what your kids want really... I will admit i had some major problems with SAS and the way the school was run at the time, and other various issues but this could have changed since then. Honestly, i would pick OFS over SAS for my kids any day-its a great school.

Good luck! Make sure you try the hokkien mee (lovely lovely local noodles, tasty stuff)

-Martine

Postby Guest » Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:22 am

I went to SAS and can say the school is well known for producing some highly intelligent kids. It is a much older school than OFS and has a lot more amneties and programs.

My major gripe with SAS, though, is that it is very competitive - the school really pushes for kids to excel in many different things - which is great for the parents - but sometimes frustrating for the kids.

Their are many other intl schools in singapore - look into all of them and then pick one.