Singapore Expats

DP for same sex partner

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
jois1

DP for same sex partner

Post by jois1 » Sun, 10 Nov 2019 9:26 pm

hi! first of all, great forum!
Any advice on my situation here; m/m couple, both dutch nationals legally married, one with EP. I read all the pertinent threads but not clear if there has been any case of DP issued to same sex partner where both foreigners. my question is ; should we bother to apply for his DP or just skip it and try to get him an EP in his own merit? ( he works in fitness - no Uni education - so i assume possibilities for EP are low).
Any insight welcomed :)
thanks
Josh

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: DP for same sex partner

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 Nov 2019 1:49 am

Assuming you have documentation of this marriage, there shouldn't be any real problems. It's the de facto partners (hetero), and gay marriages that are not actually recognized by your home countries (might recognize as a civil union but for same sex marriages it will not work) . Quick search of the archives turned this one up on first query:
viewtopic.php?t=111704 Quick read, but last post give some indication.

There are others where we know of it happening but you will find little in actual writing confirming same as while the government knows that there are some people that they need, they also know they need to be able to bend somewhat, albeit grudgingly. But I think as long as you have the legal marriage certificates in hand, you should be okay, although they may want your employer to sponsor your mate and might be limited in employment options (re dependent pass and the Letter of Consent.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jois1

Post by jois1 » Tue, 12 Nov 2019 11:45 pm

thanks for your advice, much appreciated! we are indeed legally married so no prob on that front. Company would have no prob to sponsor him as dependant ( that is the policy with any other couple relocating globally) however HR and external consultant advised that DP or LTVP are not open to us given we are in a same sex marriage....hence the original question

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 13 Nov 2019 11:34 am

They're out of date.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

jois1

Post by jois1 » Wed, 13 Nov 2019 1:51 pm

well, to their credit, they already tried but the MInistry system does not allow them to add DPs with same gender...:(

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Nov 2019 3:06 pm

You will have to venture down there, make an appointment to see an officer, explain the situation (accompanied with relevant documents) and have it done manually. As I explained, they do not advertise the capability for the obvious reasons (for the Non-LGBTPQ crowd). And, I suspect they will not make it a walk in the park but will have you going in circles.

Or he can try to find a job as a Professional Trainer or a recognized Yoga Instructor (does he have a proper international certification in either?)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jois1

Post by jois1 » Thu, 14 Nov 2019 5:03 am

many thanks for the reply! we may try that route indeed ... I understand there are no guarantees but guess worth a try at least! `otherwise yeah we will go down the route of his own DP. Worst case - guess we will need to move to a different country after a time if he doesn't get the visa at all.
Thanks again for your guidance above, much appreciated!

kwwk

Post by kwwk » Fri, 14 Feb 2020 11:25 pm

Hello! I am running into a similar situation except different gender (2x female). Jois1, Just wanted to see any success with your case? Thank you!

Chrisdixon

Post by Chrisdixon » Mon, 11 May 2020 10:42 am

Has anyone had any success with same sex couples - I have tried through my company but they get stopped at the MOM system not allowing for DP/ LTVP and when an appeal is made in writing they push it away from MOM and say that it's a different department the ICD?

Any success stories out there?

kryse.ynieto

Post by kryse.ynieto » Sat, 08 Aug 2020 7:31 am

Hello there. I have a similar question re: success stories / follow up to the original thread? My partner and I used to live in Singapore for 6 years and are on individual EPasses. We both moved back to the US 2 years ago and got married in San Francisco where we currently live. We're likely to be moving back in 2021 through his company but to eliminate the risks of flying in and out, we're looking at DP / LTVP options for me so we can both move together (in the event that I won't quickly find a job that will sponsor my EPass).

Any stories / updates are much appreciated!

Sm.Tn

Post by Sm.Tn » Tue, 09 Feb 2021 10:30 am

Hi

Does anyone have any success of applying DP for same sex, legally married spouse in 2020 / 2021?
And how that is done?

Thanks!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Feb 2021 6:57 pm

I believe, most of the time, IF granted, it will only be an LTVP and must be sponsored by the EP holder's employer. This is often the stumbling block.