Singapore Expats

Citizenship by descent- Singaporean mother Australian born girl

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Re: Citizenship by descent- Singaporean mother Australian born girl

Post by MOCHS » Mon, 10 Oct 2022 10:17 am

They rank by how convenient it is to enter the country without a visa which I feel is more important than how long one can stay in the country. Most Singaporeans use their passports to go on holiday and those who need to work overseas probably have the relevant visas applied by the company.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 10 Oct 2022 10:49 am

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 10 Oct 2022 9:58 am
I do question the ranking methodology used to measure passport power, which seems to only use one simple quantitative measure - # of countries accessible without a visa. It doesn’t look at the desirability of those countries or the length of stay each passport commands.

Singapore passport is ranked much higher than the US passport, but if you dig a little deeper, is it really more powerful?

Let’s take the Bahamas as an example, a US passport gets 8 months visa free stay on arrival, whereas Singapore only gets 3 months. You might argue, hey, that’s not fair — the Bahamas is right next door to the US.

Ok, let’s look at Singapore’s closest neighbor, Malaysia as an example. US passport gets 90 days and Singapore only gets 30 days. What? Yes, you read it right.

Still not convinced? Let’s take a country further away from both countries, Albania. Singapore passport gets 90 days… US passport gets, are you ready for this… 365 days.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m certainly not saying the US is a desirable passport to hold, it comes with a lot of tax and reporting nightmares, but if we are just looking at passport power alone, I’m just not convinced by the rankings.
One important factor to note is this 30-90 days are only for visit and not to work.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Mon, 10 Oct 2022 10:49 am

A longer short term visa on arrival helps with visa runs if that's your thing :wink:

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 10 Oct 2022 1:01 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Mon, 10 Oct 2022 10:17 am
They rank by how convenient it is to enter the country without a visa which I feel is more important than how long one can stay in the country. Most Singaporeans use their passports to go on holiday and those who need to work overseas probably have the relevant visas applied by the company.
In that case, if we look only at ease of access compared to other top tier passports, Singapore passport “draws its power” from places like China, Russia, Iran, Cuba, Belarus and a few other less prominent countries like Gambia. North Korea used to be on the list until it was quietly removed (not too many years back).
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 10 Oct 2022 2:48 pm

smoulder wrote:
Mon, 10 Oct 2022 10:49 am
A longer short term visa on arrival helps with visa runs if that's your thing :wink:
There are quite a few digital nomads and perpetual travelers who stay outside their home country for both to geo-arbitrage cost of living and to avoid taxes, it’s definitely a growing trend.

Given the popularity of JB, I am sure there are some Singaporeans who would prefer to get more than 30 days.

The SG-JB-Batam trifecta has crossed my mind: a SosBud (social visit) visa in Indonesia can be extended up to 6 months (still avoiding tax residency there), then 90 days in SG and 90 days in JB… that would complete a full year within a 50km radius, while never having to set foot on a plane. But I’m sure it would not be as simple or practical as it sounds.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 10 Oct 2022 3:36 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
Fri, 14 May 2021 5:19 pm
I will throw my 2 cents based on my own personal account. I forbid anyone to do this if you are not ready for the pitfalls. My daughters were born in Singapore. We left for Australia when they were young. We did not renounce their SG citizenship when they turned 21. What we did is when we entered Singapore, we either use the Oz or European passports. Never once we use Singapore PP since the day we left Singapore. Now my daughters have their own family and both still hold SG, OZ and European passport. I only renounced my two sons SG citizenship as that is mandatory in order for them not to be drag by NS liabilities. This I did with utmost precision, hell, I am the one who put out the protocols in this forum, once I have tested it myself. I only did this after months of research.
I am not encouraging anyone to do this as this is my personal choice. We did what we did after discussing this as a family. No regrets nor any sentimental feelings attached. My daughters even applied their SG passports and got renewed years ago. There are no immediate ramification for SG females holding foreign passport once turn 21 except your SG passport will be canceled if caught and a fine of $1K from memory.
My boys and girls turned to be alright. Again , you must make the decision as a family. There are opportunities out there outside Singapore. You have to be brave and make those hard decision. Once you decide , thick or thin, stick to it. Don't come running back to Singapore coz, they will not give you any quarter.
Personally you can give birth in Singapore and do what we do.
Or give birth in OZ and apply for Singapore citizenship before she turn 1 .
DO NOT APPLY SG PASSPORT.

Use the OZ passport to stamp a Reentry Permit on the child passport. This you can easily do it here at ICA. She can then have a Singapore style education like any Singapore child. The only thing she does not have Singapore PP.
Once she has matured enough then take her through both pathways. Only then either apply Singapore PP which in turn she has to renounce OZ PP. Here is the good thing OZ constitution allows you to renounce your OZ citizenship and regain before the age of 27.
These guidelines has been there out in the open.
OK, I am not taking questions after this.
Good luck
@misty ;
This is the core of the problems with Sgers, you guys are so doctrinated by the system and the people in power that you cannot make decision for yourself.
You need to be spoon-fed and hand hold every turn
See this played out with Sgers all the time. Grow two or more cojones for pete's sake.

1. I do not reply to PMs anymore. Do not PM me
2. You need to read my post in bold and really understand what it means
3. All your questions via PM are answered on this posting. You just need to read carefully
4. If you are thinking of just visiting friends and family , why go through the hassle of applying OZ PP. You are already a PR here unless you want to take advantage of the super and other benefits
5. If you do wish to go down this route, go ahead apply OZ PP and keep it at your back pocket. What they do not know, don't tell them.
6. You will have about 4 to 5 times to renew your SG PP. Do it back home. Keep it simple
7. If you intend to procreate, please do not apply your child SG citizenship unless you are very sure that the child will stay and be Sger. Complete waste of time if you already living in OZ
8. When SG Gahmen dangle you some carrots , do not be fool. There is always a catch. There is no such things as free lunch in SG. If you do apply for OZ citizenship and so on and so forth, you must be prepared to face any consequences thereafter with SG Gahmen. They are destructive, vindictive and extremely oppressive. I do not legalize nor do I disapprove it, you throw the dice, you take your chances. That said, how many Sger go down this route , plenty. How many get caught, plenty. See the ramification and then decide.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Thu, 13 Oct 2022 4:38 pm

Out of curiosity, if your daughters are still SCs, won’t they be automatically enrolled into MediShield & CareShield with the premiums deducted from CPF? Or since there’s nothing in the CPF in the first place, no value is deducted and letters are sent to a SG address reminding them to top up the CPF? Or there’s no address at all and everything is just left as it is?