Citizenship by descent- Singaporean mother Australian born girl

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Heidi12

Citizenship by descent- Singaporean mother Australian born girl

Post by Heidi12 » Mon, 04 Nov 2019 7:13 pm

:???: Hi guys, my husband and I are in planning stages and unsure weather in the long term to have our child grow up and school in Singapore or Australia.

I am a Singaporean born citizen with Australian PR, and my husband is Australian born. Right now, we are planning to give birth in Australia, and possibly apply for citizenship by descent for our child (assuming baby is a girl).

The question is, if she renounces her Singapore citizenship at age 21, will she still have the option and be able to work/live in Singapore as a PR later in the future if she decides to return (for example when she’s 40yrs)...?

The key is that we don’t wanna jeopardise her options later in life for having mobility and choices between both countries.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thank you! :D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 4

Re: Citizenship by descent- Singaporean mother Australian born girl

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Nov 2019 1:10 am

Yes, she can work here provided she has the right qualifications and experience to find a job and gain an Employment Pass or an S pass at least, just like any other foreigner would. If she works the required number of years and then applys for PR The government will NOT do her any favours because of being a ex citizen. In fact. They sometimes frown on it, but you buys your ticket and takes your chances. The law say she 'can' apply for PR but will not be granted citizenship again. As they look at PR as a stepping stone to SGC, she could be passed over as they will already know she'll not be given citizenship. It's a gamble, to be honest. The ability and the laws are there, but they are skewed in their favour, needless to say. As you are a Singaporean, you would already be aware of how vindictive they can be.
Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 14 May 2021 5:19 pm

I will throw my 2 cents based on my own personal account. I forbid anyone to do this if you are not ready for the pitfalls. My daughters were born in Singapore. We left for Australia when they were young. We did not renounce their SG citizenship when they turned 21. What we did is when we entered Singapore, we either use the Oz or European passports. Never once we use Singapore PP since the day we left Singapore. Now my daughters have their own family and both still hold SG, OZ and European passport. I only renounced my two sons SG citizenship as that is mandatory in order for them not to be drag by NS liabilities. This I did with utmost precision, hell, I am the one who put out the protocols in this forum, once I have tested it myself. I only did this after months of research.
I am not encouraging anyone to do this as this is my personal choice. We did what we did after discussing this as a family. No regrets nor any sentimental feelings attached. My daughters even applied their SG passports and got renewed years ago. There are no immediate ramification for SG females holding foreign passport once turn 21 except your SG passport will be canceled if caught and a fine of $1K from memory.
My boys and girls turned to be alright. Again , you must make the decision as a family. There are opportunities out there outside Singapore. You have to be brave and make those hard decision. Once you decide , thick or thin, stick to it. Don't come running back to Singapore coz, they will not give you any quarter.
Personally you can give birth in Singapore and do what we do.
Or give birth in OZ and apply for Singapore citizenship before she turn 1 .
DO NOT APPLY SG PASSPORT.
Use the OZ passport to stamp a Reentry Permit on the child passport. This you can easily do it here at ICA. She can then have a Singapore style education like any Singapore child. The only thing she does not have Singapore PP.
Once she has matured enough then take her through both pathways. Only then either apply Singapore PP which in turn she has to renounce OZ PP. Here is the good thing OZ constitution allows you to renounce your OZ citizenship and regain before the age of 27.
These guidelines has been there out in the open.
OK, I am not taking questions after this.
Good luck
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 14 May 2021 8:38 pm

Good post MS. Plenty of women dual citizens around. Main issues:

1. They cannot get their CPF out
2. They have to be super careful not to present the wrong passport when entering or leaving Singapore.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!