Singapore Expats Forum

Citizenship by descent- Singaporean mother Australian born girl

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Heidi12

Citizenship by descent- Singaporean mother Australian born girl

Post by Heidi12 » Mon, 04 Nov 2019 7:13 pm

:???: Hi guys, my husband and I are in planning stages and unsure weather in the long term to have our child grow up and school in Singapore or Australia.

I am a Singaporean born citizen with Australian PR, and my husband is Australian born. Right now, we are planning to give birth in Australia, and possibly apply for citizenship by descent for our child (assuming baby is a girl).

The question is, if she renounces her Singapore citizenship at age 21, will she still have the option and be able to work/live in Singapore as a PR later in the future if she decides to return (for example when she’s 40yrs)...?

The key is that we don’t wanna jeopardise her options later in life for having mobility and choices between both countries.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thank you! :D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 1

Re: Citizenship by descent- Singaporean mother Australian born girl

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Nov 2019 1:10 am

Yes, she can work here provided she has the right qualifications and experience to find a job and gain an Employment Pass or an S pass at least, just like any other foreigner would. If she works the required number of years and then applys for PR The government will NOT do her any favours because of being a ex citizen. In fact. They sometimes frown on it, but you buys your ticket and takes your chances. The law say she 'can' apply for PR but will not be granted citizenship again. As they look at PR as a stepping stone to SGC, she could be passed over as they will already know she'll not be given citizenship. It's a gamble, to be honest. The ability and the laws are there, but they are skewed in their favour, needless to say. As you are a Singaporean, you would already be aware of how vindictive they can be.