Singapore Expats

Receiving telemarketing calls everyday

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Receiving telemarketing calls everyday

Post by abbby » Thu, 31 Oct 2019 12:23 pm

Suddenly one day last week, I had been receiving numerous marketing calls from telemarketing companies and consulting firms. I wonder has my contact information been leaked to a 3rd party from another company? Has anyone experienced similar issues?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Receiving telemarketing calls everyday

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 31 Oct 2019 3:41 pm

I haven't checked your posts. Did you put your ph # in any of your posts? Bots crawl the forums to pick up phone numbers and then the Bot owners sell them to the telemarketers. Do you have a FB presence? We all know that FB sells info although they claim they don't. Have you downloaded any recent apps where you might have had to give your contact number? Most apps out there are only there to collect that kind of information.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Fri, 01 Nov 2019 5:28 pm

I’ve suddenly started receiving telemarketing calls from Changi Airport on Viber. Guy with an Indian accent. So far 3 days in a row...

They don’t know my name, and don’t seem to understand about the DNC registry. Guessing he isn’t actually working for Changi Airport....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Sat, 02 Nov 2019 9:48 am

That is probably the Changi Airport millionaire scam. Google it.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bro75 » Sat, 02 Nov 2019 9:52 am

I have always received automated calls in Chinese where i can hear the word "DHL". I just end the call knowing about the DHL scam. They recently upgraded to English to cater to non-Chinese "clients".

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 02 Nov 2019 12:16 pm

Yep, I also get the same one. Haven't gotten the English one yet, thanks for the heads-up. :)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

therat
Editor
Editor

Post by therat » Sat, 02 Nov 2019 9:59 pm

Recently what I receive is few call from singtel, claim my internet has comprise. But dont know my name. Even give me a new name when I ask her.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

archcherub
Regular
Regular

Post by archcherub » Mon, 03 Feb 2020 6:09 pm

therat wrote:
Sat, 02 Nov 2019 9:59 pm
Recently what I receive is few call from singtel, claim my internet has comprise. But dont know my name. Even give me a new name when I ask her.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
definitely a scam.
i just received one from Viber abt DBS account being compromised too....

tons of scammers pretending to be from Starhub / Singtel / DBS / local banks / Changi etc etc

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Tue, 04 Feb 2020 8:51 am

I don't know if this is already common knowledge, so I'll add it here just to be sure it's out there. Whenever you see a number preceded with Singapore country code in your display when there's a call coming in, i.e. with the "65" prefix, then the call is not from a local phone. Rather, it's spoofed somehow. Local numbers don't show the 65.

I used to still take the calls, just in case, but it's never turned out to be a legitimate call, so I've stopped answering these calls altogether now. They're all bogus.

Disclaimer: This applies to my set-up; I can't say for sure that it applies across the board obviously.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 04 Feb 2020 10:36 am

I've recently had both the Changi and the Singtel calls.

Changi was Viber and I'd only won 50K but needed to act quickly.

Singtel was actually to my work phone which then routes to my mobile. A problem with my router pinging Singtel servers apparently.

Both glaringly amateur and I haven't had any repeats. Blocked and reported the Viber number.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bro75 » Tue, 04 Feb 2020 10:44 am

I also started receiving viber calls from +92 XXXX numbers. I listened in once and a automated voice informed me of an "exception" in my dbs account.

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Tue, 04 Feb 2020 10:48 am

I noticed my incoming normal local calls do not have + sign. Whenever it has the +65 with it, it is a scammer call ie: DHL automated message sorts.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Tue, 04 Feb 2020 3:18 pm

I get the singtel one all time, comes from different numbers: +61 or +65 or local mobile no starting with 9 or sometimes more like a land line starting with 6, or not sure how the numbers are allocated. but definitely there's no standard pattern. I have a few times chatted some time before the indian accented guy gets annoyed with me and hangs up. They would like you to go to your router (and whatever colour lights are blinking it's really bad according to the expert on other end), give the details and reset to factory settings I think. But I've never went all the way so not sure of the last steps yet. Usually when my routers whatever IC code starts with France-Uniform-China-Kilo, they hang up.

archcherub
Regular
Regular

Post by archcherub » Sat, 08 Feb 2020 1:42 am

Max Headroom wrote:
Tue, 04 Feb 2020 8:51 am
I don't know if this is already common knowledge, so I'll add it here just to be sure it's out there. Whenever you see a number preceded with Singapore country code in your display when there's a call coming in, i.e. with the "65" prefix, then the call is not from a local phone. Rather, it's spoofed somehow. Local numbers don't show the 65.

I used to still take the calls, just in case, but it's never turned out to be a legitimate call, so I've stopped answering these calls altogether now. They're all bogus.

Disclaimer: This applies to my set-up; I can't say for sure that it applies across the board obviously.
wow. i didnt know this. thanks for sharing!

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Sat, 08 Feb 2020 9:16 am

that 65 depends on your operator, I have Singtel contract, and I get totally legitimate calls from Singapore from my bank when they check things with me from +65 numbers. So would be a bit careful for blanket block.