Singapore Expats

Regarding Wife's Letter Of Consent

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
AyushSrivastava

Regarding Wife's Letter Of Consent

Post by AyushSrivastava » Sun, 27 Oct 2019 7:34 pm

Hi Members,

Had a query regarding the letter of consent, needed for a dependent to work in Singapore.

So my brother is moving on a work visa to Singapore from India. His wife is a management consultant, and wanted to figure out if she can apply directly for jobs in Singapore while on a dependant Visa.

I came across this listing on the govt website, which says a Employment pass holder's wife can apply for jobs and start work as long as their company gets a letter of consent. Is this the case, or will she have to get a seperate work visa to work in Singapore.

The link is below - https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permi ... ligibility

Would be grateful for your guidance on this.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Regarding Wife's Letter Of Consent

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 27 Oct 2019 8:19 pm

) OR the employer can file/apply for a Letter of Consent. The difference is that if she manages to get a job on an EP based on her own capabilities, if/when you lose your job, she doesn't lose hers as her EP is independent of yours. If she, however, secures a job using a Letter of Consent, the LoC is based on you being on a DP and the anchor is the EP holder. So, if/when you lose your job the LoC holder ALSO loses their job at the same time. The LoC period of validity follow that of the EP anchor. Therefore the LoC expires and is renewed when the EP is renewed. Failing which, the LoC holder will lose their permit as well.

The big difference is the qualifications required to get the LoC are considerably lower (but still have to be relevant) that somebody applying for a EP or S pass for themselves outright. Having their own EP/S pass, if it can be gotten, is always best. But an LoC is good as it's better than no work at all. Most LoCs will be paid less as the potential employer will know that the person is a trailing spouse and therefore, not 'expat' allowances will be paid and it will probably be local wages as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers