Singapore Expats

Performing artist work permit

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Kitkan25

Performing artist work permit

Post by Kitkan25 » Thu, 24 Oct 2019 10:01 pm

Hi. I am expecting to be hired as a performing artist here in SG. My problem is, my wife is also working here as a teacher under Spass. The problem is I want to stay longer here with my wife, but my permit is only 6 months valid. The case with performing artists' work permit are not renewable and the worker cannot have another permit until one year after the permit expires, according to MOM policy. I would like to ask if that permit includes spass because MOM gives distinction between a pass and a permit. The MOM rule says performer's cannot have any other "permit" after the 6 month permit validity. Because if spass is not included, it will mean I can apply to other jobs under spass after my permit expires and stay longer here with my wife. Can somebody help me with this please. Thank you

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Performing artist work permit

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Oct 2019 10:23 pm

In theory you are correct. However, the fact that you are here on a Work Permit (as opposed to a work pass (EP & S), you are required by law to be repatriated to your country of origin after the cancellation of your Work Permit. As this is a special Work Permit, it up to them as to how long before you can return on the same type of Work Permit. However, there is nothing stopping you from returning to Singapore on a standard SVP (social visit pass) for however long they allow your country of origin. You can then apply for work with an S pass but before you try that, be sure to use the S & EP pass eligibility calculator on the MOM site. If you pass that, it only means you can apply for an S pass. It IS NOT a guarantee that you will receive one. It's a lot more complicated than that.

So yes, you can apply for other types of Passes like S pass but you must first pass the online validator on the MOM site. But at the end of your Performing Artist Work Permit, you WILL have to return to your own country first. You will probably be given a week or 2 weeks SVP upon cancelation of the permit. That SVP is NOT extendable. Once you have been back in your home country for a week or two, get a visa if your country is required to get one and come back and look for a job. In any case do NOT overstay your visas.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Kitkan25

Post by Kitkan25 » Thu, 24 Oct 2019 10:46 pm

Thank you for your reply. I actually tried to use the SAT online and it said I am eligible for an Spass because i have a degree and 8 years of experience. I was supposed to be hired by a music school as a teacher but the pass was rejected because they don't have sufficient quota. Another offer came but the job is as a performing artist, that's why we have to clarify if after the performer's work permit expires, can I apply as a teacher under Spass disregarding the 1 year ban for a work permit (assuming that work permits doesn't include Spass in that sense)

Kitkan25

Post by Kitkan25 » Thu, 24 Oct 2019 11:17 pm

The MOM site states that after the performer's work permit expires, the performer is not allowed to have any other type of work permit (OR ANY OTHER OCCUPATION) 1 year after the expiry or cancellation of the permit. I don't know if the "occupation" in their statement includes occupation under the spass category.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Oct 2019 1:07 am

Okay, I know where your confusion is coming from. You will be okay. on the Eligibility Page for Performing artistes work permit (attached below) you will note that Work Permit is a proper noun e.g., capitalized. This means you are not allow to hold another Work Permit for 1 year (regardless of the occupation if it entails getting a Work Permit. Nor can you do any other type of job at the workplace other than that of an entertainer (Performing Artiste) Lap Dancing is not allowed even though that could be considered entertainment. :lol:
What I wrote earlier still stands however. You will have to return to your country of origin before getting another social visit pass to come here to search for a job that will give you at least an S pass. The pass you get at the end of your Work Permit is short term, from a couple of days to 2 weeks max I think (S & EP holder get a 30 pass but generally because they have housing to clear up, etc.).
Clipboard01.jpg
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Kitkan25

Post by Kitkan25 » Fri, 25 Oct 2019 7:33 am

Thank you very much for you help. It really cleared things up for us. By the way, we are from the Philippines so coming home or going back for an SVP wouldn't be too much of a problem. Maybe a month before my performer's permit expires, i can look for another job so that even if I go back to my country, I have something to hope for and a reason to stay with my wife here. Thank you again!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Oct 2019 10:34 am

No problem. My wife used to be a singer in a local country-western band here.

fahmi.z

Post by fahmi.z » Mon, 13 Feb 2023 11:10 am

hi , am new here and was wondering if @kitkan25 , did you manage to get an Spass after the 6 months ? I am in a similar situation but had spoke to MOM and according to them the term work permit after the 6 months refer to all permit inclusive of Spass/Epass etc , meaning i will have to go back and wait a year before trying for an Spass or E pass . Thank you for any coments/answers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 14 Feb 2023 9:08 pm

Good possibility that it has changed. Lots of MOM & ICA requirements have changed since the onset of Covid at the beginning of 2020. If your contact was recent, then that is probably now correct. All of Singapore's goalposts are very fluid and flexible. Listen to the MOM.