Singapore Expats

Organic food

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Organic food

Post by abbby » Sun, 13 Oct 2019 9:53 pm

Organic food? Is it really better for your health? Is it proven to be better? I have this friend who constantly raves about organic food and how she only buys organic food, but I grew up on non-organic food and it's just the same... What are your thoughts.. =D> =D>
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Organic food

Post by joeyy » Tue, 15 Oct 2019 12:37 pm

Organic foods may have higher nutritional value than conventional food. But I guess, eating non-organic food are fine, but importantly just eat more fruits & vegetable.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Tue, 15 Oct 2019 11:32 pm

joeyy wrote:
Tue, 15 Oct 2019 12:37 pm
Organic foods may have higher nutritional value than conventional food. But I guess, eating non-organic food are fine, but importantly just eat more fruits & vegetable.
Do you have any evidence to back that up?

Most of what we eat, even "organic" has been the result of genetic selection. Organic is the process of farming with only specific approved pesticides, limited fertaliser, etc and has a lower yield per area because of that. While the health benefits are shouted loudly, there is very little (if any) scientific evidence to back it up

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Tue, 15 Oct 2019 11:34 pm

joeyy wrote:
Do you have any evidence to back that up?

Most of what we eat, even "organic" has been the result of genetic selection. Organic is the process of farming with only specific approved pesticides, limited fertaliser, etc and has a lower yield per area because of that. While the health benefits are shouted loudly, there is very little (if any) scientific evidence to back it up. The higher nutrutional value comes far more from the genetic selection than farming processes.

Note assume you are not comparing to processed food, but natural whole foods.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 16 Oct 2019 12:30 am

I'm was a farmer a couple of lifetimes ago. ^^^^^This!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 16 Oct 2019 2:10 am

Unless you are eating rocks and sand, everything you put in your mouth is "organic". Organic is a giant scam, for the most part... no healthier, no better quality, and more expensive.

I second everything The Ref said.

Right up there with this organic nonsense is "gluten free". Hell, I've even seen water advertised as gluten free.

Nothing like exploiting the knowledge gap.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Wed, 16 Oct 2019 9:41 am

Some fruits and veg like strawberries and spinach are much better at absorbing pesticides than others, so if you're concerned about chemicals, there might be benefits in buying organic in some cases. But yeah the nutritional benefits are dubious at best.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 178844002/
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 16 Oct 2019 12:02 pm

Organics won't hurt and if you don't mind paying the premium then great. Personally I ignore the organic section and just buy from the regular shelves.

Joeyy has the right idea, eat a variety of fruit and veggies, organic or not.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 16 Oct 2019 12:37 pm

joeyy wrote:
I don't think they have any higher nutrition value over mass, industrially grown/farmed food and I don't think something like this is claimed. Organic food is basically about no synthetic chemistry to assist the process. No pesticides or other synthetic biocides. No synthetic preservatives. No synthetic food coloring. Etc. etc. I think also no some specific fertilizers. This is fine. Nothing wrong with it. In principle it may be more healthy if you can afford it on regular basis. The problem (apart from the price tag) is, no one knows for sure if what is offered is really organic. Practically all the labels say now "certified" :) and you have no means to analyze what is inside.

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Wed, 16 Oct 2019 12:49 pm

Basically, I think just eat more fruits, vegetable & drink plenty of plain water is the most important. HA!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 16 Oct 2019 12:55 pm

joeyy wrote:
Wed, 16 Oct 2019 12:49 pm
Basically, I think just eat more fruits, vegetable & drink plenty of plain water is the most important. HA!
Why "more" if you have no data on the current intake? :)

No, I would say, if you can afford it (or better say, if you are filthy rich) and you are happy with spending your money on such food than go for it. There are brands that can be trusted. Otherwise, buy normal food and you will be fine too. I don't think there is anything substantially wrong with standard food.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Wed, 16 Oct 2019 1:10 pm

What reel to reel is that in your profile pic, x9200?

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Wed, 16 Oct 2019 1:52 pm

x9200 wrote:
Wed, 16 Oct 2019 12:55 pm
joeyy wrote:
Wed, 16 Oct 2019 12:49 pm
Why "more" if you have no data on the current intake? :)

No, I would say, if you can afford it (or better say, if you are filthy rich) and you are happy with spending your money on such food than go for it. There are brands that can be trusted. Otherwise, buy normal food and you will be fine too. I don't think there is anything substantially wrong with standard food.
Omg, I think gotta chill abit. No offense in any way of more or less. Just that old folks always say ' drink more water, eat more vege, eat more fruits. I didn't mention normal food is wrong. Am just saying in a terms of more fruits, or vegetable is healthy. Is just a old folks saying.

peace :wave:

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Thu, 17 Oct 2019 9:03 am

Also Organic food comes in even more unnecessary plastic waste then otherwise requires more land clearing for the same output yet claims environmental benefits

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Thu, 17 Oct 2019 9:26 am

Kee Song organic chickens from redmart are pretty damn tasty in any case :D