Singapore Expats

Which Keyboard/Piano to buy?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Which Keyboard/Piano to buy?

Post by joeyy » Wed, 09 Oct 2019 3:08 pm

Am signing up a piano class for my kid. A home-class 1-1 lesson.

However, I am wondering which is the recommended Keyboard/Piano to get for her? As I have no idea what is her interest level? Will she take up the lesson for a good long time or a short period? So I really wouldn't want to spent a bomb on keyboard/piano itself end up she decided not to continue.

I need help, seeking for good advice/recommendation.

Thank you [-o< [-o< [-o< :???: :???:

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Which Keyboard/Piano to buy?

Post by tiktok » Wed, 09 Oct 2019 6:34 pm

Second hand Yamaha is usually a good choice.
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Thu, 10 Oct 2019 12:27 pm

tiktok wrote:
Wed, 09 Oct 2019 6:34 pm
Second hand Yamaha is usually a good choice.
Is there alot of type under yamaha? any recommendation which exact type? I'm totally noob into this. haha I have no idea how to go about TT

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Oct 2019 2:10 pm

Asking the teacher would probably be a better choice unless the teacher is from Yamaha or another instrument provider.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Thu, 10 Oct 2019 2:16 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 10 Oct 2019 2:10 pm
Asking the teacher would probably be a better choice unless the teacher is from Yamaha or another instrument provider.
haha afraid the teacher will make me spent a bomb. >< :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Oct 2019 2:24 pm

I didn't say you had to buy from the teacher. There are plenty of used keyboards on Carousell and FB Marketplace.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Thu, 10 Oct 2019 2:28 pm

Thu, 10 Oct 2019 2:24 pm
I didn't say you had to buy from the teacher. There are plenty of used keyboards on Carousell and FB Marketplace.
Opps. Do you mean get the recommendation from the teacher? haha Sorry, got the wrong meaning. haha shall check out with the teacher on the recommended brand.

If lets say I buy from carousel etc, how do I able to check on if there any faulty? Do you have any idea? :???: :???:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Oct 2019 2:40 pm

Plug it in and try it? Test each key and some of the pre-programmed beats and instruments. If all works, accept it. (don't do an exchange in the MRT). Go pick it up but let the seller know you want to test it before completion of the purchase. If it's okay, the seller shouldn't mind.

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Thu, 10 Oct 2019 2:43 pm

Thu, 10 Oct 2019 2:40 pm
Plug it in and try it? Test each key and some of the pre-programmed beats and instruments. If all works, accept it. (don't do an exchange in the MRT). Go pick it up but let the seller know you want to test it before completion of the purchase. If it's okay, the seller shouldn't mind.
Great! Thanks for the advice. Shall do some sourcing now. haha :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Thu, 10 Oct 2019 3:19 pm

I was talking about acoustic pianos. Yamaha U3 are popular and good pianos. Electronic pianos are not used by serious pianists, not classical at least.
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Oct 2019 3:58 pm

If the child doesn't even know if she want to play or not I'd sure not buy an upright piano to find out. I'd stick with a electronic keyboard initially as that will set you back less than $100 for a good used one. If she lasts a year, then I'd agree with you whole-heartedly.

A huge chunk of my extended family is musically inclined, professionally (including my wife many years ago). Me? I play the radio - used to play clarinet, oboe & sax (tenor & alto). But after I returned from the NAM in '68 I never bothered to pick 'em up again. I wasn't a musician but more of a musical technician - I couldn't feel the music - only play what was written.

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Thu, 10 Oct 2019 4:07 pm

Yes, that is my concern. That's why I wouldnt really want to invest so much on a good and expensive pianos, unless I can see her interest lasting up to a year and so.

I am still in the trial-and-error stage for her. HAHA