Singapore Expats

Hong Kong protest: How do Hong Kongers lead their daily lives?

Compilation of interesting and useful articles for Singapore Expats readers.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Hong Kong protest: How do Hong Kongers lead their daily lives?

Post by abbby » Wed, 09 Oct 2019 10:29 am

Are supermarkets and schools closed? How do they buy their groceries? I am wondering how they lead their daily lives with a situation this chaotic. Does non-protesting person gets hit on the streets while walking? :o :o
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Hong Kong protest: How do Hong Kongers lead their daily lives?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 09 Oct 2019 11:39 am

Most of the casualties you see are law-abiding citizens or tourists that gave the wrong answer to one of the terrorists so, because they are all mindless minions, they gang up on unarmed individuals and beat the crap out of them. They would dare do it one on one as they know they are but mindless kids playing at being bad guys so can only act in mobs. They are being caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Wed, 09 Oct 2019 4:53 pm

It's life as usual, except travel is disrupted at times, usually not working hours. SMS not sure where you're getting your info from, but I actually know people who live there.
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 09 Oct 2019 5:37 pm

So do I. I've been in the region a long, long time (over 37 years). I have a fair number of Chinese Singaporean friends who have been over there for a decade or more and others who have their extended families there as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Wed, 09 Oct 2019 5:59 pm

But do you have first hand information from anyone living there right now?

I'm sorry but if you give credibility to an article that claims Joshua Wong is the leader and organizer of the protests, then it's hard to believe you have a good idea what's going on there.

The protesters are not going around asking questions and beating up people who give the "wrong answers". The handful of people that were beaten up had it coming, like the taxi driver who drove into a crowd of people and permanently disabled a girl. An office worker was given a smack for singing the China anthem to piss off some protesters. And so on. And then there have been plenty of citizens beaten up by pro-China triads and the police but let's not get into that. If you have any examples of folks getting beat up for other reasons, please post a link to the story (sorry, criticalspectator.com is not a credible source).

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Oct 2019 2:04 pm

Please go back and reread my last post. I think I clearly said have, not had.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Thu, 10 Oct 2019 2:15 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 09 Oct 2019 5:37 pm
I've been in the region a long, long time (over 37 years). I have a fair number of Chinese Singaporean friends who have been over there for a decade or more and others who have their extended families there as well.
This isn't "first hand information". That would mean you are directly in contact with someone who is there now.

As for "being in the region", so are 1+ billion people.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Oct 2019 2:21 pm

No shit, sherlock! I talk with some of these people daily.

runningaway

Post by runningaway » Thu, 17 Oct 2019 5:02 pm

My friend in HK says it all goes on as normal, they go to work etc.
As someone previously stated, travel is disrupted sometimes.
I was there myself in mid-September, we only had slight local travel disruption and were with locals which was useful with taxis etc. One of the local girls with us was basically sighing and saying "every Sunday I don't know how I'm going to get home" (she lives in an area which is often targeted by protests).
It must be a peculiar situation where most people carry on with daily routine, while dodging protests and transport issues.
I don't doubt that some people do end up in clashes, but no one told me about that first-hand.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 17 Oct 2019 6:06 pm

tiktok wrote:
Thu, 10 Oct 2019 3:26 pm

Look it's expected and ok to be opiniated and speculate what's going on, but as a site moderator it's not ok to spread blatant lies about an issue that's very important to the people of HK, and prone to politically motivated misinformation.
Either prove it or remove it.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Thu, 17 Oct 2019 7:38 pm

Prove what? I was refuting your claim that the protesters are roaming around, asking citizens questions, and beating up those who give the wrong answers. I just find that extremely unlikely and not supported by anything I've read or heard. If you have any proof please share it here.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 17 Oct 2019 7:45 pm

tiktok wrote:
Thu, 17 Oct 2019 7:38 pm
Prove what? I was refuting your claim that the protesters are roaming around, asking citizens questions, and beating up those who give the wrong answers. I just find that extremely unlikely and not supported by anything I've read or heard. If you have any proof please share it here.
tiktok, you called a poster a blatant liar. Either prove it or remove it.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Thu, 17 Oct 2019 7:52 pm

No I described what you wrote as blatant lies. It's malicious and harmful to the people of hk too. It would be hard to "prove" these things though. As moderator feel free to remove my post :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 17 Oct 2019 9:34 pm

This guy is a higher up in a Swiss Bank there. He's Chinese, in his late forties, and also has extended family there (he's Singaporean born & bred) been working in HK for over 11 years. He is also an avid hiker. So loves hiking in the hills of HK.....Out of respect for his privacy considering I'm posted this to a troll I've only copy/pasted his message from yesterday.

" I think better to allow and educate. I realised I started a bit angry.
I tried to tone down a bit later and explain properly. Sorry for that. But I got affected recently too.
Last Tuesday I went on a hike up to Lion Rock. We took some photos there and some of us happened to take one with the symbol of the movement, which got pushed down by either someone or the winds. Somebody from the movement saw the posted photo on Fb and IG and alerted the protestors. The storm that followed was incredible. The negative comments and hate resulted in them threatening to ID us and destroy our lives. The hike leader was scarred by this episode. Sometimes only vulgarities are suitable to describe these people."

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Thu, 17 Oct 2019 9:42 pm

Lion Rock is a lovely hike. Still, negative comments and hate online are not the same as getting beaten up for giving the wrong answer to a question.

As you probably know, Lion Rock has been the site of several large protests. I'm guessing they erected lennon walls and other such symbols up there. Pro China people have been regularly trashing these things, and doubtless some over zealous chaps were keeping a close watch on Lion Rock. Your friend is not local, and if his group was speaking mandarin and knocked over something... easy to jump to conclusions...

Anyway I can't blame him for being anti protester having dealt with that.