Singapore Expats

Hong Kong protest: How do Hong Kongers lead their daily lives?

Compilation of interesting and useful articles for Singapore Expats readers.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Hong Kong protest: How do Hong Kongers lead their daily lives?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 17 Oct 2019 10:12 pm

His group did not push anything down. They were taking photo of the area as they normally do on their hikes and posts them to us in our group (He was in Ireland about a week ago for a day or two and managed a hike there as well and posted summit scenery). These are business men and women who enjoy hiking. Sadly apparently one of the photos had a symbol and as he said it had either been pushed down or blown over by the wind, not by the hikers. But the hikers were blamed because they posted the photos that happened to show it. The terrorists/hooligans don't need any more justification that than. Therein lies the problem. The destruction is unwarranted, the attacked on citizens who disagree with them. It's all there. Once they donned masks they are no longer protestors. They already had the right to protest in a peaceful manner. They broke the peace.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Thu, 17 Oct 2019 10:37 pm

It's certainly a tense situation there. If the protesters suspected your friends group was pro China then they were totally justified to give them a hard time online, albeit an unfortunate misunderstanding. Again, no citizens have been physically attacked for disagreeing with them, that's a fact. Most of the destruction is justified, but that's just my opinion. They definitely have broken the peace, but they're fighting for their future, so I guess they feel it's worth it.
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 17 Oct 2019 11:25 pm

So it will not end until the PLA get called in and it's a real bloodbath. The so-called 5 demands cannot and will not be met. So they are going to keep escalating until it's a bloodbath. Where is their future then? They don't care about their families, friends not even themselves as they know they cannot win.
I lived through something similar in the 1960s & 70s before and after my tour in the NAM. I witnessed the first race riot in the US in Cambridge MD incited by H Rap Brown in 1964 16 miles from my home. I worked in Washington DC in the 1970's during what was known as the long hot summer where the blacks burned down half of NE Washington DC (I had 5 of my 13 offices in NE and the rest on the other side of Rock Creek Park in NW DC. I had to keep a big dog on a short leash and I was also licensed for open carry (banned since in the late 70s in DC) as sometimes that was the only way to get to my offices (the two that weren't burned to the ground with the rest of their respective block). I been through all that already close hand and NAM as well. I call it as I see it. I'm still alive so I guess I've been calling it pretty accurately. I also was working in Indonesia when the US bombed Libya. Fun times there as well as I disappeared from the face of Balikpapan for 8 hrs before the Union Oil Company man found me standing at parade rest in the middle of the police station for 8 hours because I had an Eagle on the front of my dark blue passport. I've been there and done that. Most oldtimers here already know all that though.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Fri, 18 Oct 2019 8:10 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 09 Oct 2019 11:39 am
Most of the casualties you see are law-abiding citizens or tourists that gave the wrong answer to one of the terrorists so, because they are all mindless minions, they gang up on unarmed individuals and beat the crap out of them.
As someone who has seen as much as you have, I'm sure you can appreciate the power of misinformation and fake rumours in conflicts.
Last edited by tiktok on Fri, 18 Oct 2019 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Sun, 20 Oct 2019 11:00 pm

Civilian attacked - protester slashed by pro-China guy: https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/law ... -attacking

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Tue, 22 Oct 2019 11:06 pm

More civilians getting beaten up: https://youtu.be/OhMJcPzisQg

Still searching hard for civilians getting beaten up by protesters for giving wrong answers though.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Wed, 23 Oct 2019 11:23 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 09 Oct 2019 11:39 am
Most of the casualties you see are law-abiding citizens or tourists that gave the wrong answer to one of the terrorists so, because they are all mindless minions, they gang up on unarmed individuals and beat the crap out of them.
To be totally clear, there is no evidence of any such things happening. This is misinformation and blatant lies. Would some moderator please remove it.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Oct 2019 3:37 pm

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Wed, 23 Oct 2019 4:51 pm

Firstly, China Daily is totally biased when it comes to the protests, to put it politely.

Secondly, none of those links say anyone was beaten up for giving the wrong answer to a question.

Yes I'm sure you are very busy deleting the endless spam on this site. But you'll be a whole lot busier if the protesters find out the bs that's being posted by moderators here.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Oct 2019 5:21 pm

tiktok wrote:
Wed, 23 Oct 2019 4:51 pm
But you'll be a whole lot busier if the protesters find out the bs that's being posted by moderators here.
Is that a threat? Sure sounds like a veiled one to me.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Wed, 23 Oct 2019 9:38 pm

The protesters have been trashing any business who holds opposing views to them. I'm not aware of this extending to online entities but I wouldn't be surprised. Just an observation, not a threat.

Again, I'm making the allegation that lies were posted. Please remove them.

2 of your links are from the propaganda mouthpiece China Daily.

The third contains a reference to the incident when a second rate actress pretends to be a journalist, tries to intimidate protesters, gets into a pushing match with one, trips and gets a cut on her chin. The article says she was "glassed". Nice reporting.

The fourth one is a pro China guy who was ripping down posts from a lennon wall and arguing with protesters. Did he deserve that beating, debatable. But a far cry from "law-abiding citizens or tourists that gave the wrong answer to one of the terrorists so, because they are all mindless minions, they gang up on unarmed individuals and beat the crap out of them."

So the claim posted on this thread remains unproven and thus a fantasy.

I realise I'm being a pain in the ass but I would simply like the record to be set straight.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Oct 2019 10:37 pm

No, you are not being. You are. And it's not coming down.